Just back 12/13 April

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
Short trip report after a 1,1 day visit on 12 and 13 April. Spring Break in most of France, Belgium and the UK, so it was busy. Also lots of school trips from the UK.

We arrived late and first dropped off our bags at the hotel and then went to Vapiano, we arrived at 8 and it was so busy. We waited a long time to get the food and my friend had to get back to inform twice why her pizza wasn’t ready (got immediately after the manager intervened ;) ). I enjoy the food, but the slow service always throws me off.

We then went into the parks (open till 10), took a quick spin on Big Thunder Mountain which is still absolutely amazing after dark. Waiting time posted at 9:20 was 20 minutes, but by keeping to the left it was only 15. I know it’s not scientifically proven, but for Disneyland Paris and Big Thunder Mountain the ‘take the left lane’ works every time for me.

We had VIP places for the fireworks thanks to our APs, it was already quite crowded when we arrived 15-20 minutes before showtime. So we moved to the back of the area and had a perfect view and sat on the fences. Started with the short clip of Earth Nature month, which is always pretty. Illuminations isn’t my favorite show, the clips used are too long, and too many live action movies. Although I love the Pirates of the Caribbean part because it has awesome music.

We strolled back to Santa Fe, which was very congested when you got out of the park to the hotels. Due to the construction work at Hotel New York and New Port Bay, everyone staying at 4 out of 5 open hotels have to go the same way. And everyone staying at Santa Fe (us) and Cheyenne have to use the very small and unlit path next to Sequoia Lodge.

Next day we started bright and early, dropped off our bags and then went in around 8.15. We went in line to meet Minnie who would start at 8.30. We were second in line, Minnie was a few minutes late and we were at the next meet for Donald at 8.38. This went very very slow. Donald was in a good mood, there was a great CM (Alphonse) and the meets had great and long character interaction. Also, what I hadn’t noticed before, they let people with DAS cards inbetween. In my memory they only made reservations during EMH for DAS cards and start the meets at opening. But this also lengthened the time of the regular queue, plus a five minute bath-break for Donald, which was 10 minutes. So that was about 30 minutes waiting unplanned for.

The plan was to go tot he princess Pavillion, it was just after 9 and the queue was already 90 minutes and the queue for people with DAS cards was at least 20 families long. I didn’t have a feeling there were more people with DAS cards than usual on a busy day, but they all seem to stick to the character meets. I didn’t notice it at the rides, at Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates I only saw 1 – 3 families, which is normal.

We then hopped on to Big Thunder Mountain, absolutely amazing to have this open during EMH. The waiting time was 15 minutes posted, but we were less than 10 minutes by using the left lane again.

Crossing over to Space Mountain (we wanted to do Buzz first, but it was at 25 minutes, and not worth it to us). Space Mountain was at 20 minutes, but also this was about 10 minutes. Star Tours said 15 minutes, but was almost a walk on. I am not a fan of simulator, I used to get very nauseous on Star Tours and only do it once in a blue moon, but as we had no goals for today we went in. The new movie is a lot better than what they had before and I only started to feel a little queasy at the very end. When we came out the park was open. The pathway between Discoveryland and Fantasyland was still closed, so no Small World, we went to Pirates, which was still a walk on, then Indiana Jones, which had a 20 minutes wait, which was correct.

We had a lunch reservation at Agrabah Cafe, we were a few minutes early, there were people waiting, but they hadn’t opened the doors yet. We walked through the Passage D’Aladdin to kill time, but at 11.30 at opening time… still nothing. When they opened a few minutes late, they had problems with the registry, we got in first, but then you first have to go to the cassier pay and the drink that’s included, but also this registry had a problem, so 10 minutes after our reservation time we were seated and hit the buffet. I had only eaten here once years ago and I didn’t really remember the food. It was delicious and is probably now my favourite table service in the park. I loved the different kinds of hummus, especially the beetroot variation, the dolmades and different types of baklava were a hit.

As it was Saturday, they usually have roaming characters around, but today there wasn’t anything we could find. We and some other regulars were waiting at the spot behind the Princess Pavilion (Eric and Ariel had been meeting there last Saturday), but after a minute of waiting a CM came by to tell that there wouldn’t be anyone meeting today.

Went to see Philharmagic and then hopped over to the Studios to catch the 2 o’clock show of Mickey and the Magician. It was a great show, I’m not sure when it re-opened, but everything seemed fresh. I think I saw some new choreographies and the costumes looked new. The new Magician was younger than his predecessors and very easy on the eye, not French native. Also Genie was someone I hadn’t seen before and was great. There are sign language interpreters on the weekend and this one was just funny. I kept looking at her, she was really into the show.

As Aerosmith Rock ’n Roller Coaster will be closing in September, we decided for a last spin. 15 minutes posted, but this was more 20 minutes. That is to say, we were in the room with the video after 20 minutes of waiting and then a few more minutes inside to get into the cars. I will miss this ride, but also curious what they will do wit hit after the Iron Man retheming. We could have pulled a fastpass, (at 14.45, the FP return time was 15.10 – 15.40), but we were not in any rush. Then did Tower of Terror, which was out of Fastpasses. Waiting time posted was 25 minutes, which was correct till when we go tinto the elevator.

We went back to Disneyland Park, as my friend went to buy some plushies she had her eye on, I went to get our photopass pictures of Big Thunder Mountain from our morning spin. We hadn’t done that in the morning due to long queues. We wandered around, wanting to do Pays des Contes Fees, but with a posted waiting time of 25 minutes, we skipped this. It was now 1.15 hours before the parade would start, for which we also had VIP places. However, as we have seen the parade from this spot very often, and we wanted to get into the Princess Pavillion as soon as the parade was over, we decided to sit near Small World, that way we could save at least 15 minutes then when we had watched near Castle Stage. The parade was good, Mary Poppins & Bert were missing and Snow White and her prince didn’t have a carriage.

Battling the crowds (which are terrible at Small World right after the parade) we arrived at the Pavillion which had a 60 minute waiting time posted, which was correct. The meet with Aurora was great, good character interaction.

We walked by Pays des Contes Fees again, which still had a 15 minute wait posted, but by the looks of it, it was way less and indeed it was less than 10 minutes. This is a personal favourite, as it’s nice and relaxing, pretty and well made.

And that was the end of our day, it was about 7 in the evening and our train went at 8. We slowly made our way back. Got something to eat at Relay at the station, although I was still full after our lunch 6,5 hours earlier.

It was a great visit and shows how much you can do even on a busy day (Big Thunder Mountain got to 100 minutes at midday), without FP, but with use of EMH:

- Meet Minnie
- Meet Donald
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Space Mountain
- Star Tours
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Indiana Jones
- Passage d'Aladdin
- Table Service lunch (Buffet)
- Philharmagic
- Mickey and the Magician
- Rock ’n Roller Coaster
- Tower of Terror
- Parade
- Meet Aurora
- Pays des Contes Fees

Could we have done more? Yes, during EMH if we focused on rides instead of meets, I’m sure we would have been able to fit in Peter Pan, Buzz and Pinocchio at least.

It was a great visit, short, but definitely one of the better visits. It was relaxed, the weather was great (cold, but sunny). It was busy but everyone seemed in a good mood, the guests and the CMs. Happy me :)

Last edited:
What construction is occurring at Newport Bay? Will be there in June.

Oh, what I meant was the walkway to the hotel. When you come from Disney Village you have a split in the road, to the right by Earl of Sandwich the pathway seemed closed off. So guests for New Port Bay had to walk around the lake, by Hotel New York and Sequoia Lodge to get to New Port Bay.

Thanks for sharing.
We were there from the 2nd to the 6th, just before the official spring break.
Super quiet (particularly Monday-Thursday), with very small queues, and refurbs aside I thought the parks looked fantastic.
Great to see all of the effects on Pirates and Thunder working properly too!
Like you, I love riding Thunder Mountain when it's quiet after dark, and we must have done it six times in a row one evening :)

but for Disneyland Paris and Big Thunder Mountain the ‘take the left lane’ works every time for me.
Oh I'll have to make a note of that!

they let people with DAS cards inbetween
I'm not familiar with this card. What is it?

It was delicious and is probably now my favourite table service in the park. I loved the different kinds of hummus, especially the beetroot variation, the dolmades and different types of baklava were a hit
That sounds delicious, we'll add Agrabah to our list of potential restaurants.

As it was Saturday, they usually have roaming characters around, but today there wasn’t anything we could find. We and some other regulars were waiting at the spot behind the Princess Pavilion (Eric and Ariel had been meeting there last Saturday), but after a minute of waiting a CM came by to tell that there wouldn’t be anyone meeting today.
Is there a thread with a list of where characters tend to meet?

I'm not sure of the official name in DLP, I think DAS is the name in the US for people with disabilities. For meets outside they usually report to the CM, who makes a note and gives them a return time to meet the character without waiting in line.

Yes, definitely add Agrabah Café to your list!

I have written a post about meeting characters in DLP. There is a link in here to the entertainment schedule with all the meets.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/faq-1st-time-visitors-how-to-meet-characters-in-dlp.3736237/

Oh I'll have to make a note of that!

I'm not familiar with this card. What is it?

That sounds delicious, we'll add Agrabah to our list of potential restaurants.

Is there a thread with a list of where characters tend to meet?

Forgot to tag you, see previous post!

Last edited:

Thanks for the report! Helps a lot to get a feel for the park (I am planning my first trip... it haven’t yet fully decided to go because I am not sure I‘ll like it... but after reading a report like your‘s I wanna go asap)
Oh, and left lane for big thunder mountain sounds like a universal tip... good to know that it also works in DLP!

Definitely sounds like you had a great day!

Thanks for the report! Helps a lot to get a feel for the park (I am planning my first trip... it haven’t yet fully decided to go because I am not sure I‘ll like it... but after reading a report like your‘s I wanna go asap)
Oh, and left lane for big thunder mountain sounds like a universal tip... good to know that it also works in DLP!

Definitely sounds like you had a great day!

I have a feeling the left lane theory also works for Pirates, but will only save you a minute at most ;-) As the split is only at the very end.

You have to try it to see if you like it :) I'm sure it'll be a fun visit, if you don't focus on the differences between other parks and where DLP could improve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!