Just Back... 10 day trip on the dining plan with pics! 7/10/19 La Cantina de San Angel Update

Monday evening we headed over to Epcot. I managed to get a Soarin' fastpass added on, which I liked. We also rode Living with the Land and this pushed us a little so we had to hustle over to Via Napoli for a 7PM dinner reservation. I was able to get a fastpass for Illuminations also so it was dinner and our fastpass for the night!

We enjoyed this restaurant very much the last time and were looking forward to doing it again. All the staff here was very friendly and it is fun to listen to people with their accents in the World Showcase.

I started with the some variation of a Mule. It was around $15 because we were not allowed to order anything over that amount with the meal plan. This was the only place that gave us a limit. I honestly do not remember what was in it but it came off of a special drink menu that has more drinks than are listed on the Dis. This sold me and the first thing I bought when I got back was 4 copper mugs to make these at home. I'm sold. These are my new temporary favorite and they can be customized so much. I loved this drink!

DSCN4843.JPG

My wife had this drink (which we believe was a sangria of some kind) even though the waiter was trying to talk her into wine in a funny way. It took the poor guy 5 minutes to explain what he meant. She liked it and it was also in the $15 range.
DSCN4841.JPG

Our daughter had this aqua fresca that was blood orange and was $6. All the drinks were very good and they were very quick to fill out waters which we also got.

DSCN4842.JPG

Before our main meals came we were given this bread with olive oil and basalmic vinegar to eat. I really like basalmic vinegar so we enjoyed this. I do not recall getting this the last time. I think many places vary by the server and some will just add things that others won't. I was glad he did.

DSCN4840.JPG

We all got a personal pizza that was allowed on the meal plan.

I made up my mind a long time ago that it was the pepperoni pizza for me. These were 10 inch pizzas I believe which gave each 4 decent, but not massive slices. I was able to eat all of mine but was very full. Each girl took at least one piece with us to eat at the hotel. These average $22 each.

DSCN4844.JPG

I do not see this straight on the Dis menu but my wife went rogue and got hers with just artichokes. She really, really liked it.

DSCN4845.JPG

Our daughter played it safe with the four cheese pizza.

DSCN4846.JPG

The pizza here is unlike any I get at home. The crust will be a little burnt is spots but that is how it is supposed to be. This is easily the best pizza at WDW and maybe in general. It isn't cheap but the quality is there.

Because we had the Illuminations fastpass and we were full we picked desserts that would transport. It is Via Napoli's policy to bring the dessert to the table and the customer has to place it in the "to go" boxes. This differed from Sanaa and Art Smith's later in the trip where we did it again. These, unlike Sanaa, didn't make it past the evening when we got back to the hotel. Even slightly warmed by the hour or so delay, they were all still good. Our daughter wasn't crazy about the cannoli but that is because it was not eaten crunchy. She liked the filling, not the pastry. We did get pics before boxing these...

I had the tiramisu and it was awesome. $12.

DSCN4847.JPG

Here is the above mentioned "cannolo siciliano." $10

DSCN4848.JPG

And the $14 Zeppoli shot from a horrible angle. There were about 6 of these.

DSCN4849.JPG

This meal was pushing $140 before tax and tip. That is a pretty hefty price but I think it is worth it. Someone asked about the portion size and I think it is fair. I would have been satisfied without the dessert and stuffed with it... almost buffet stuffed. Both meals we had on day 4, Monday were all about the setting but both had good food. As long as we stay with the meal plan, I cannot see us skipping Via Napoli in any future trip.

The only complaint, and it would not be one had we not had the fast pass, is the service was SLOW here. Not because we were being ignored. That was far from the truth... I just think it is a cultural thing where in other countries people really take their time to eat. Maybe if the restaurant was overbooked like during free dining it wouldn't be this way but just keep that in mind when planning. An hour and a half used to be a safe time for planning at restaurants but now I would recommend two from arrival at the check in to walking out the door at most places just to be safe.

Regardless, this restaurant is a WDW winner in our book and should be high on anyone's list of reservations.

Day 5, Tuesday was just as good food wise...

Last edited:
We followed up a great Monday with an equally awesome Tuesday.

We went to Epcot for an early morning start. We got future world knocked out and needed a counter serve for lunch. We decided to try and switch it up this trip and get some new places. We were unanimous in deciding that La Cantina de San Angel would be a good place to try. Just as we were heading over one of those very heavy thunderstorms started rolling in. We made it just in time and our daughter kicked in the jets to grab us a table. I don't think seating would be an issue here most times but it was fairly contested because people were staying after eating.

I had the nachos just as they were on the menu except I added some taco sauce from a dispenser they have. These were as good as any nachos I have ever eaten. It was a big portion and I was full after eating it. This was much better than a burger or something. $12.50

DSCN4867.JPG

Our daughter had the empanadas. This was a little out of her comfort zone but she liked it all, including the slaw. $12.25

DSCN4870.JPG

My wife had the taco trio. She enjoyed the chicken and fish more than the beef. I tried the beef. It wasn't horrible, just not special. Next time she said she will just go with the chicken or fish. $13.50

DSCN4868.JPG

We did not take pictures of the drinks but I had a lime margarita and I think the girls just had fountain drinks. This added another $20 or so. Like every other counter serve, we were over $50 but could have snuck in below if I didn't get the alcoholic drink. I do feel like this was a good overall value compared to the other places because it is a little different and the portion sizes are fair. We will go here again for sure.

Churros are the big item everyone loves and we always forget to get some so we used a snack credit to get a little bin just to say we did. This was a $4.50 value so it worked out.

DSCN4869.JPG

Even with the absolute downpour this place was not disappointing to us at all. It is easy to get to and we will not skip it ever again as long as the quality stays the same.

More a little later...

Last edited:
I am also loving your reviews! We are taking our first trip to WDW in September and may be revisiting some of our ADRs based on your experiences! :)

Really enjoying all of the reviews. Were they still opening the La Hacienda table service seating to help with overflow from the adjoining quick service during lunch?

The limoncello mule at Via Napoli is one of my favorite cocktails as well! And I love the pizza too. I see some people complain that the crust is "burnt" but I think it's delicious. I agree the service there can sometimes be on the slower side. What great timing in getting to La Cantina just ahead of the storm! I haven't eaten there in a while. I may have to stop in there next time!

Glad to see that things are improving on the food front. Via Napoli especially is one of our favorites. I agree the pizza is truly amazing. I'll have to try the mule too. That looks and sounds great

Following along. Looking forward to reading more. Via Napoli is one of my favorites

Great reviews so far! I appreciate that you take the time to explain what you ordered and how it compared price wise/value to other places outside of WDW. I am excited to hear more!

Day two we had an early Animal Kingdom day. We did Dinoland then spent a fastpass on the river ride in Pandora (Flight of Passage was unavailable until later in the trip. We then watched some drummers in Harambe which was very entertaining and did the safaris. We split and my daughter and I did Kali River Rapids and my wife did the 3D bug movie. By then it was pushing 12 and we had a 1:05 lunch reservation at Sanaa.

When we booked our sit downs in December we each picked three. This was my wife's first choice based on reviews and videos we watched. We made it there quickly and were seated before our reservation time. We also got a window table without even asking. The view here is worth the price of admission. It is easily the best themed restaurant we visited. We were also worried a little about the food, but were not disappointed for the most part!

View attachment 412363

We started with the bread service that we happily paid for out of pocket. We liked everything except the mango chutney (2nd on the right bottom). I asked the special hot offering so we actually had 10. We were not charged for the extra ones. The hot was very spicy but I loved it. I also liked the pickled jalapeno (second on the right top) and hummus (bottom right). The pickled garlic was different but good. Our daughter found them all too spicy and just ate the bread. It is worth a trip there just for this. This was $17 and I would pay that for it both at WDW and at home.
View attachment 412366

My wife and I had an alcoholic drink but I can't remember what they were for the life of me. Both were awesome. They were around $12 each but were covered on the meal plan.

View attachment 412373

We paid out of pocket because our daughter really wanted the light up Buzz Lightyear. I believe it was 6 or 7 dollars. I do feel like this should be included on the dining plan since she was charged as an adult. If you can get a $12 alcoholic beverage I do not comprehend the logic as to why this wasn't included except the desire to make a bigger profit. This was very small and was for the light up, not the drink!

View attachment 412374

It kind of made up for the Buzz Lightyear issue when the waiter said we could pick two from "the journey" for the Potjie Inspired which I knew I was getting from the day we made the reservation. I had the butter chicken and braised beef. I had the aloo masala for "the harvest" and it comes with rice. These servings were not gigantic but they were plenty of food, especially with the bread. The chicken was the best thing I ate the whole trip. It has a mild flavor and is very good. The beef had the texture and basic taste of a tender pot roast with hints of Indian/African spices that are not used as much in the US. It reminded me of the difference in the BBQ sauce at Flame Tree BBQ opposed to Sweet Baby Rays or similar. The aloo masala was very flavorful and the rice went well with everything else. I was stuffed after eating it all.

View attachment 412375

My daughter had basically the same thing except she substituted the vegetables for the masala. Since she does not like spicy food, this was not her favorite. She ate it with the rice to help. I didn't find it spicy but she did. I also thought the hot sauce for the bread wasn't too bad when the waiter said it gets people all the time who try it. Both of these choices were $28. I thinl I would pay that at home for an treat once or twice a year.

View attachment 412376

My wife went conservative with tandori chicken. She loved it and would order it again. Our picky daughter even liked it and said she would get this the next time. This was $17 if paying out of pocket.

View attachment 412383

When it came time for dessert we were completely full. We were able to get the desserts to go but sadly forgot about them in our hotel refrigerator and never ate them... mostly because we were too full all the time. Judge kindly because this is how these looked a week later when we threw them out before leaving.

This "was" the spice trade candy bar. $8
View attachment 412386

This is the mousse... I think! $8
View attachment 412387

And the coffee??? $9
View attachment 412388

I felt horrible not eating these but things just started coming home with us as the days went on. Without the bread service we would have eaten these and been full. With it, we just had too much. The bus driver joked about wanting it after and we should have given it to him!

The bill here was around $130 before tax and tip with all but around $25 covered by the dining plan. It is a good deal on the plan but a great deal if paying out of pocket. It would be very reasonable with the bread and entrees, just skip the alcohol and dessert. There are other items on the menu that looked even safer for someone who is not adventurous at all. Overall, at least in WDW context, this is a very good value, especially if you can get the window seat!

After we went back to the hotel for a bit and went back to the Magic Kingdom to make sure we saw the night show and fireworks. We ate dinner at Cosmic Rays and will have more on that tomorrow!
pics look amazing! we were there last summer and got pretty close to your meal. You are right - the views out of that restaurant are worth the price without the food - but the food was delish. I was having a rough night as I had threw out my back a week before we left for vacation. I was in a lot of pain and ended up leaving early to go back to the room while my DD and kids stayed for dessert. We have a running joke about this because I ordered something like a bananas foster type dessert for them to bring back to me, and they arrived back at the room empty handed (left at the table). I always give them a hard time about not ever trying that dessert!! LOL!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter