Just a recent experience with a child on the Autism Spectrum

lisaburnsmiles

Earning My Ears
I thought I'd just start a new thread about traveling with family members who are on the Autism Spectrum. Our son is high functioning, but does have issues with crowds, some sensory issues and being in long lines. We had a great experience recently with obtaining and using DAS. We stopped by guest services (in this case at the MK). We explained the issue (they do not ask for diagnosis, but do ask what issues there are) and got the pass. For newbies who may not know, the case member scans the differently-abled person's Magic Band and then scans all bands in their party. They also took my son's picture. At each attraction that we wanted to use the pass, we went to the regular line, told them we had the pass, they scanned my son's Band first, then our bands and told us when to return. When we returned, we went to the fast pass line and proceeded. It was a really seamless experience.

Also, the Disney website has so much information for those on the Spectrum and what attractions may be problematic or cause concern for those with sensory issues. It's in a guide for guests with Cognitive Disabilities. Hugs to all!

I thought I'd just start a new thread about traveling with family members who are on the Autism Spectrum. Our son is high functioning, but does have issues with crowds, some sensory issues and being in long lines. We had a great experience recently with obtaining and using DAS. We stopped by guest services (in this case at the MK). We explained the issue (they do not ask for diagnosis, but do ask what issues there are) and got the pass. For newbies who may not know, the case member scans the differently-abled person's Magic Band and then scans all bands in their party. They also took my son's picture. At each attraction that we wanted to use the pass, we went to the regular line, told them we had the pass, they scanned my son's Band first, then our bands and told us when to return. When we returned, we went to the fast pass line and proceeded. It was a really seamless experience.

Also, the Disney website has so much information for those on the Spectrum and what attractions may be problematic or cause concern for those with sensory issues. It's in a guide for guests with Cognitive Disabilities. Hugs to all!
When getting a return time it sounds like they scanned more then one MB ( if I read this wrong I am sorry ) but normally they only need to scan one in the group and then can add whom ever on for the ride

We use the DAS at Disneyland . And honestly , love it . It allows our son to do the rides without having to be stressed by people . We use a lot of coping skills and still by the end of the day he needs to hide away to decompress. Disney really are world class at accommodating people of all abilities .

Sue has made a wonderful sticky post at the top of this forum with great info that covers a lot of this :} It's the best place to start.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My own son has Asperger's and is high functioning. He is fine and will be fine with the regular lines and Fastpasses but I am currently planning a trip with my brother and his family who have one son who is severely autistic and one that is high functioning but may have issues with crowds. This will be there first time at Disney. So, I am trying to get ideas on what others have experienced at Disney.

Also have a son on the spectrum. He is fine with lines and crowds but we were thinking of taking him room mate this summer that does not do crowds well at all. This info is priceless.

Also have a son on the spectrum. He is fine with lines and crowds but we were thinking of taking him room mate this summer that does not do crowds well at all. This info is priceless.

There's even more info in the DAS thread above. Just read the first post in it, Sue updates as things change.

Stickies are helpful but it can be reassuring for future guests to read narratives of more recent, personal experiences regarding autism and the DAS. Thank you OP for sharing and offering tips.

Yes, I have read Sue's posts but they are old and even though updated just represent one person's views. I am actually looking more for TRs that might share info about just being there at Disney in general with autistic kids, how to structure the day, how they responded to characters, etc, not just about the use or nonuse of DAS. I know each person's experiences will be different and we will not know how my nephews will react to the characters until we are actually there but it will still help to read other people's experiences.

Yes, I have read Sue's posts but they are old and even though updated just represent one person's views. I am actually looking more for TRs that might share info about just being there at Disney in general with autistic kids, how to structure the day, how they responded to characters, etc, not just about the use or nonuse of DAS. I know each person's experiences will be different and we will not know how my nephews will react to the characters until we are actually there but it will still help to read other people's experiences.

They are updated when needed. If they haven't been updated that just means policy hasn't changed at WDW regarding what is mentioned. They are actually a combination of many people's efforts and information, and Sue does a fantastic job putting it all together. You don't have to read the entire thread, BTW - she updates the info posts at the beginning.

As you stated, how one person with ASD responds to a situation will be different form another person's response. Structure the day as closely as you can to how it is structured at home. Take them to Chuck e Cheese to see how they react to characters? Your best bet is to see how they react themselves to certain situations before taking them to WDW. Flying? Go to the airport on another day to practice what the airport is like. If they are driving, practice going into rest areas to pee. No one can really tell you exactly what to expect, but you can learn a lot beforehand that might make the trip more manageable.

I would also like to remind that some of the restaurant experiences can be very loud and overwhelming. The menus online help identify if there is food one will eat, but does not necessarily give you the feel of the restaurant. There are some great video reviews of the restaurants online that may help too.

Stickies are helpful but it can be reassuring for future guests to read narratives of more recent, personal experiences regarding autism and the DAS. Thank you OP for sharing and offering tips.
This! I really needed to hear a recent experience. It’s been 5-1/2 years since we’ve been to WDW but our concerns and needs haven’t changed. TY for the fresh post. 💖

When getting a return time it sounds like they scanned more then one MB ( if I read this wrong I am sorry ) but normally they only need to scan one in the group and then can add whom ever on for the ride
Hmmmm . I could have misremembered - now that you mention it, I’m not sure.

Hmmmm . I could have misremembered - now that you mention it, I’m not sure.
Ok them probably you just remember it wrong since ever done they started the DAS only one needed to be at the ride to get the return time. I just did not want someone reading this to think all member of there party needed to be at the ride to get a return time

Thinking about it could the CM scanned one band and it did not work and asked if there was someone else that they could scan there MB. this I could see. Glade you hade a good trip

Thanks for sharing your experience. Even with DAS our son still can't enjoy the park as long as our other children but it defintely allows him to stay longer that he would without it. It's a wonderful resource.

We use the DAS at Disneyland . And honestly , love it . It allows our son to do the rides without having to be stressed by people . We use a lot of coping skills and still by the end of the day he needs to hide away to decompress. Disney really are world class at accommodating people of all abilities .

Although it is wonderful that you have had such positive experiences at Disney with your son, claiming that the company is world-class at accommodating people of all abilities without actually knowing the experiences of all those other guests is inaccurate and a bit insulting to those who do experience issues with being accommodated. Please be mindful of that when posting in the future.

Although it is wonderful that you have had such positive experiences at Disney with your son, claiming that the company is world-class at accommodating people of all abilities without actually knowing the experiences of all those other guests is inaccurate and a bit insulting to those who do experience issues with being accommodated. Please be mindful of that when posting in the future.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and it’s up to the moderators, not individual posters, to say what we need to be mindful of when posting.

The only people I’ve ever heard complaining about accommodations at Disney were the ones who want front of the line privileges or who want to use the DAS for mobility issues instead of using mobility devices.

Not getting a preferred accommodation is not the same as not being accommodated.

Last edited:

The harsh reality it that not everyone will be able to be accommodated to their liking. When it comes down to it, this is an amusement park and as such, the nature of it means that it is for the physically fit. It is up to the individual person/family to decide if, even with the available accommodations, WDW is someplace that they should go to. I know we all WANT to be able to be as "normal" and do what everyone else can. But that is not reality. My 13yo niece is very high functioning autistic. She is mainstreamed school, on the volleyball team, does karate, and takes care of her personal hygiene, etc. But even with all of that, my sister has decided that going down to WDW is not in her best interest. The good is not enough to outweigh the stress that it causes her and that there are others things that she can do for her enjoyment. To expect a place to cater to each individual's specific needs, in a place that caters to millions, is unreasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter