Jussie Smollett's "Hate Crime"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the story sounded odd from the beginning, but I really couldn't see any logical reason someone with his talent and his position would try to pull off a hoax. I still can't see the logic behind the plan. So destructive on so many levels -- and for what?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/17/arts/television/jussie-smollett-attack-timeline.html

Looks like Jussie is going to try to throw the brothers under the bus. He is steadfastly claiming he was attacked and that it was a hate crime. It boggles my mind that if it was a hoax, how he thought he wouldn't get found out? I am sure the brothers have phone records on their side to show collusion.

I think that is why JS made sure his statement included that he was paying the brothers as personal trainers for a video he was going to be in.
That way he appears to have a legitimate reason for being in contact and for giving them money if the authorities have evidence showing he gave them money and contacted them.
The police know they were the ones there, the know they had the rope and other items in their possession and they still let them go without charges.
It doesn't look good for JS no matter what he claims.

I love how those who came out in rushed support are suddenly silent "waiting for the evidence to pass judgment"
Nobody cared to wait to pass judgment when they were sure it was white Trump supporters committing a crime.

If he won't hand over his cell phone it's unlikely he'll willingly submit to drug testing for substance abuse, either.
I think a pp alluded to it being a possibility as to "why". Maybe, if his judgement was clouded, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

If he won't hand over his cell phone it's unlikely he'll willingly submit to drug testing for substance abuse, either.
I think a pp alluded to it being a possibility as to "why". Maybe, if his judgement was clouded, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I didn't even think about that. It's always struck me as strangely coincidental that the person he was on the phone with at the time was his manager.

I just can't wrap my brain around the idea that someone with his talent and success could have thought this was a good idea. Maybe substances and listening to people who don't truly have his interests at heart explains the inexplicable.

I'm not buying the substance abuse line. This was premeditated. There's just an awful lot of political division and hate right now.

I wasn't suggesting substance abuse as an excuse, merely an explanation for how anyone could logically think this would work out in their favor.

I wish the police would have fake arrested two white guys and brought Jussie into ID them. It would be interesting to see how far he was willing to go with his lies. Would he be willing to send innocent men to jail?

I'm not buying the substance abuse line. This was premeditated. There's just an awful lot of political division and hate right now.
I didn't mean there weren't necessarily any of those things. I just meant that clouded thinking and judgement could be the thing that made it seem like it could be a plausible plan.

I love how those who came out in rushed support are suddenly silent "waiting for the evidence to pass judgment.
I am perplexed by the people that thought this thread should be closed.

And I am even more puzzled that someone "warned" Mrs. W to not read this thread.

Someone actually told a grown woman that she was too fragile to participate in an adult conversation. She was WARNED that she should not look at words on a discussion board, even when she clearly was participating.

It's all so strange.

"Can't we all just get along?"

I thought Rodney King was appropriate for this discussion:)

I thought you were quoting Kenny Chesney Lyrics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=can...3.69i57j0l5.7625j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Anyway, I agree with everyone who said that faking things like this makes people hesitate to believe the next claim - even when that one is real. It does a disservice to actual victims, and that's a really high price to pay for 15 minutes of (more) fame.

And I am even more puzzled that someone "warned" Mrs. W to not read this thread.

Someone actually told a grown woman that she was too fragile to participate in an adult conversation. She was WARNED that she should not look at words on a discussion board, even when she clearly was participating.

It's all so strange.

I just wanted to say that I was not talking about anyone here in this thread now staying silent.
I was referring to the politicians and celebrities who rushed to judgment and to the media to make their statements when the story first came out.

It was reported that the two brothers showed the police their phone which showed at least one phone call from Smollett prior to the attack. I heard that when Smollett took the police to the location where the attack supposedly happened, he pointed to a camera and showed them it should be on that camera. However, the camera was pointing the other way and did not have any video of the attack.

It's all so strange.

I’m the one who said it should be closed based on how threads like this have gone in the past. This one has remained civil, which is refreshing. That’s why I decided to participate further, because it’s not at a banging head on wall stage.

I think that is why JS made sure his statement included that he was paying the brothers as personal trainers for a video he was going to be in.
That way he appears to have a legitimate reason for being in contact and for giving them money if the authorities have evidence showing he gave them money and contacted them.
The police know they were the ones there, the know they had the rope and other items in their possession and they still let them go without charges.
It doesn't look good for JS no matter what he claims.

I love how those who came out in rushed support are suddenly silent "waiting for the evidence to pass judgment"
Nobody cared to wait to pass judgment when they were sure it was white Trump supporters committing a crime.

I can’t speak for the national level, but at least in my area, there were people from across the broad political spectrum & all demographics who immediately questioned this story. Honestly, that’s how it caught my attention.

I’m the one who said it should be closed based on how threads like this have gone in the past. This one has remained civil, which is refreshing. That’s why I decided to participate further, because it’s not at a banging head on wall stage.
I agree.

I can’t speak for the national level, but at least in my area, there were people from across the broad political spectrum & all demographics who immediately questioned this story. Honestly, that’s how it caught my attention.

Well that's good to hear. Too many times the media runs with something and makes a mess of things. The media is the biggest reason why people almost WANT to believe that things happened in whichever way fits the narrative of that media source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter