Jury Duty - does my son have to serve?

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
My son is now 20. He's learning disabled and finally, after much looking with assistance and on our own, has gotten a part-time job at IHOP. One of the perks is that he can walk to and from the job because it is only 1/2 mile from our house. :)

Saturday he got a jury questionnaire in the mail. I know that once that is returned, he will get a jury summons. Does he have to serve? :confused3
Besides being learning disabled which for him will mean that he will not pay attention, will need to go the bathroom about 12 times and may not understand everything that they are talking about without it being explained in depth and possibly multiple times, there is the transportation issue. He does not drive a car and cannot ride a bus alone without assistance. He started to learn how to ride the bus, but then he got this job that does not require the bus. The court house for our county is in another city and there would probably be more than one bus involved if there is even one that goes from our house to there. :sad2:

Anybody have experience with this?:confused:

My son is now 20. He's learning disabled and finally, after much looking with assistance and on our own, has gotten a part-time job at IHOP. One of the perks is that he can walk to and from the job because it is only 1/2 mile from our house. :)

Saturday he got a jury questionnaire in the mail. I know that once that is returned, he will get a jury summons. Does he have to serve? :confused3
Besides being learning disabled which for him will mean that he will not pay attention, will need to go the bathroom about 12 times and may not understand everything that they are talking about without it being explained in depth and possibly multiple times, there is the transportation issue. He does not drive a car and cannot ride a bus alone without assistance. He started to learn how to ride the bus, but then he got this job that does not require the bus. The court house for our county is in another city and there would probably be more than one bus involved if there is even one that goes from our house to there. :sad2:

Anybody have experience with this?:confused:

It depends on how it works where you live. I'm in NY and when I got a summons I wrote in and told them about my son's disabilites, his medical/prescription needs and how routine was crucial for him to avoid regressions. I was excused from serving.

If he gets a summons, see if there is an address you can write to where they accept postponements. Use that address and write and explain your son's situation and see if they excuse him. If not, show up with him when he is required to serve and explain then.

Just explain the situation on the questionare, and in most cases he will be excused.

bookwormde

in some places you can get a doctor's note that simply states what diagnosis a person has that precludes them from serving. with one that's worded appropriatly it can result in permanant disqualification.

you should be able to call the clerk's office for the court and find out if they have a form they want a doctor to fill out-if it's going to take awhile for the doctor to complete it you can always ask for a delay (last time i was called they offered a one time option of up to a 6 month delay in being called to serve).

We had to get an Medical Affidavit Exemption from the state that was singed by his doctor.

Go online or contact your Jury Services department to find out the proper procedure so no problems later.

As it was 6 years ago, I'm sure the OP got it figured out (one way or another)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts