JUNE W.I.S.H. Challenge - Looking Ahead

What little (or not so little) change did you make that has been a success on your journey to a healthy lifestyle?

I think the most successful one has been finding an exercise routine that doesn't bore me. It's flexible enough that I can fit it into different kinds of days, but kind of like a menu - either pick this pattern or that one and then follow on autopilot.

Making exercise either very easy (like grabbing the desk cycle when I'm watching TV) or a positive thing to look forward to (like having a couple Disney+ shows I only watch on the treadmill) has been an important part of that.

I don't feel like I have had true success with anything ... YET.
I respectfully disagree. Here’s are two changes you mentioned in your last post. Don’t overlook the small successes, although you even said yourself that the chocolate one is huge for you :)
I joined a 12 week program here in Australia
I have had barely had any chocolate
You’re already doing better than you think! You’ve got this!!!

Deciding to change your lifestyle certainly requires changing habits-but even little changes can make a difference.

What little (or not so little) change did you make that has been a success on your journey to a healthy lifestyle?
I went through two Major changes. The First was when I started using MyFitnessPal 7 years ago. I used it basically as a calorie counter at that point. That really opened my eyes to how much I had been overeating! The second major change was when I joined Beachbody 5 1/2 years ago. That helped me get my portions under control with the 21 Day Fix. It also got me to focus on meal planing & prep and got me into a variety of fun workouts. For me, the biggest thing is to get into a habit or routine of doing something. The last 2 months have been difficult as life was just thrown into crisis mode. But I’m slowly starting to get back into a routine.

Deciding to change your lifestyle certainly requires changing habits-but even little changes can make a difference.

The changes I've made are logging everything into my fitness pal (even if it's a bad day). This makes me mindful of how much the little things can add up. I'm also trying to drink more water every day. I'm naturally a pretty big drinker, but I used to do more diet cokes while sitting at my desk at work. I've basically quit drinking soda at work and switched completely to water. That also forces me to get up from my desk to fill my cup more often lol!

I think the most successful one has been finding an exercise routine that doesn't bore me. It's flexible enough that I can fit it into different kinds of days, but kind of like a menu - either pick this pattern or that one and then follow on autopilot.

Making exercise either very easy (like grabbing the desk cycle when I'm watching TV) or a positive thing to look forward to (like having a couple Disney+ shows I only watch on the treadmill) has been an important part of that.
This desk cycle has me very intrigued-and I agree, if you don’t enjoy what you’re doing, you won’t do it!

The changes I've made are logging everything into my fitness pal (even if it's a bad day). This makes me mindful of how much the little things can add up. I'm also trying to drink more water every day. I'm naturally a pretty big drinker, but I used to do more diet cokes while sitting at my desk at work. I've basically quit drinking soda at work and switched completely to water. That also forces me to get up from my desk to fill my cup more often lol!

My Fitness Pal sounds like a great accountability tool. So many different “diet” programs out there and it still comes down to tracking calories and some type of exercise.

A couple changes come to mind. One is joining Noom and reprogramming my brain about what healthy eating is and learning a program that is sustainable.

WIth exercise I've gotten to the point where not getting out for walks feels bad. And I've found that to relieve stress I have to move, instead of how I used to curl up into a ball and numb it out with sugar/tv/shopping. I've also been using my desk cycle while watching TV and it helps keep the step count up.

The Gabby Bernstein mantra for June is "I give myself permission to be great." I have it written on a sticky here at my desk, so that I'm reading it throughout the day. In terms of healthy living, it is helping me to release the limitations and restrictions I put on myself, as they block being great. It's also helping me to frame up my response to stressful situations... I've already got one going with my Engineering Manger this morning but instead of sinking in to victim mode I'm able to find the greater response and realize that he's feeling pretty rough with everything going on right now and so I need to grant some grace.

Yesterday after I wrapped up with work I took a drive along the beach and there was plenty of parking so I stopped and got out for a long walk. It was so peaceful and joyful to see everyone out enjoying the sunshine, but it felt so disconnected from the pain and unrest that is going on across the country. I really had to stretch my brain to process them together.

I am in this month.

My name is Stephanie and I live in Northeast Ohio. I am married with 2 kids. DD is almost 13 and DS just turned 14. My goal last month was to have an average of 45 minutes of activity a day. I surpassed my goal. So this month I am going to up the time. I am going to shoot for an average of 60 minutes of activity a day. This will be a challenge but I am ready to hit it this month.

My successes would be walking. I am really loving the walking I have been doing. Jeff and I go for lunch and again after work. He even was able to get me up early on Sunday to go for a walk before it got hot out.

when it worked for me I did few things, that I am trying to reintroduce again.

Eating every 3 to 4 hours. this could mean having breakfast at 9, lunch 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6. Sometimes 2 snacks
Eat protein with every meal and snack. It really reduces hunger and sancking urges
Not over doing it with excercise
Eat a lot of fruit and vegetables
Cook something new every week

when it worked for me I did few things, that I am trying to reintroduce again.

Eating every 3 to 4 hours. this could mean having breakfast at 9, lunch 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6. Sometimes 2 snacks
Eat protein with every meal and snack. It really reduces hunger and sancking urges
Not over doing it with excercise
Eat a lot of fruit and vegetables
Cook something new every week
Eating enough protein is important. Another change I made was to stop eating Lean Cuisine and frozen WW meals for lunch. Even adding extra vegetables didn’t keep me from feeling hungry soon after eating them. I was better off eating a half a turkey sandwich or cheese cubes with almonds and grapes.

Hello, Dearies!

I'm ba-ack... Nursing school hasn't killed me yet, but all my best intentions (parking far away, packing lunches, all that good stuff) fell by the wayside... and then everything closing... then simultaneously homeschooling myself and 2 kids.. and... and Aldi's has REALLY YUMMY COOKIES for soooo cheap.... yeah. It was bad... Both of my daughters remain twig-thin, and the oldest has special needs and doesn't eat very well... So it's hard preparing "heavier" foods for them, then not taking bites and eating the leftovers when they only eat part... or not sharing in the teenage junk-food-paloozas... Seriously, there is half of a 7-oz giant Hershey bar sitting right next to me where she left it. She wanted hot wings for dinner, then only ate half... that sort of thing...

My goal for this month is to figure out a good plan... For the moment I'm just tracking on Sparkpeople, trying to get all my nutrients while staying in my caloric range... but it's already feeling like a rut after less than a week, and it's tragic how tired/sore I was after doing yardwork over the weekend (and SO much left to do!!!) I am definitely out of shape, but the trails around here are flooded lately with people who are sick of being home... so while walking is my exercise of choice, timing is a bit tricky to avoid the worst of the cooties.

But my semester is over and I am recovering, the kids only have a couple more weeks of "homeschool," and I am hopeful that even with all the supply chain hiccups, we will soon have lots of local produce to play with. Tonight the universe blessed me with a random taco truck at the corner church (a first!) and while what they sold me wasn't really good (nasty sweet mayonnaise-y sauce), I was able to strip it down and build it back with just the steak, corn tortilla, some pickled red onions, and cilantro from my garden... it was a nice compromise between "geez I'm sick of my own cooking" and "geez I'm sick of the garbage that's available on the limited menus at the restaurants..." Alas... now I want more... so assuming the weather is ok tomorrow and if I can find a reasonable amount of beef at a not-too-horrific price (BIG if!!!) then I know what's for dinner tomorrow! And if not, maybe I'll be experimenting with chicken street tacos, instead... never done those...

PS- if anyone has a good phone# for Dr Facilier, tell him I want a pedicure and I'm ready to make a deal...

Hello, Dearies!

I'm ba-ack... Nursing school hasn't killed me yet, but all my best intentions (parking far away, packing lunches, all that good stuff) fell by the wayside... and then everything closing... then simultaneously homeschooling myself and 2 kids.. and... and Aldi's has REALLY YUMMY COOKIES for soooo cheap.... yeah. It was bad... Both of my daughters remain twig-thin, and the oldest has special needs and doesn't eat very well... So it's hard preparing "heavier" foods for them, then not taking bites and eating the leftovers when they only eat part... or not sharing in the teenage junk-food-paloozas... Seriously, there is half of a 7-oz giant Hershey bar sitting right next to me where she left it. She wanted hot wings for dinner, then only ate half... that sort of thing...

My goal for this month is to figure out a good plan... For the moment I'm just tracking on Sparkpeople, trying to get all my nutrients while staying in my caloric range... but it's already feeling like a rut after less than a week, and it's tragic how tired/sore I was after doing yardwork over the weekend (and SO much left to do!!!) I am definitely out of shape, but the trails around here are flooded lately with people who are sick of being home... so while walking is my exercise of choice, timing is a bit tricky to avoid the worst of the cooties.

But my semester is over and I am recovering, the kids only have a couple more weeks of "homeschool," and I am hopeful that even with all the supply chain hiccups, we will soon have lots of local produce to play with. Tonight the universe blessed me with a random taco truck at the corner church (a first!) and while what they sold me wasn't really good (nasty sweet mayonnaise-y sauce), I was able to strip it down and build it back with just the steak, corn tortilla, some pickled red onions, and cilantro from my garden... it was a nice compromise between "geez I'm sick of my own cooking" and "geez I'm sick of the garbage that's available on the limited menus at the restaurants..." Alas... now I want more... so assuming the weather is ok tomorrow and if I can find a reasonable amount of beef at a not-too-horrific price (BIG if!!!) then I know what's for dinner tomorrow! And if not, maybe I'll be experimenting with chicken street tacos, instead... never done those...

PS- if anyone has a good phone# for Dr Facilier, tell him I want a pedicure and I'm ready to make a deal...
Welcome back! :welcome:

You certainly have a lot going on right now!
You’re just in time to join us tomorrow for Woohoo Wednesday. Looking forward to chatting with you.

When I went out for strawberries today I bought myself a large Diet Coke from McDonalds. I haven’t had one since mid March so it was a real treat.

We’re off to the beach for a couple days but I grocery shopped in my freezer and pantry so we’ll only have to get one carry out dinner. Looking forward to getting my steps in walking in the bayside park (nice wide walking paths) and on the beach. Even walking in our neighborhood is a nice change.

I'm ba-ack

Welcome back :) sounds like you are heading towards a well deserved summer break!

WooHoo Wednesday

1. All of you! Thank you for your lovely supportive comments :)
2. A walk on the beach with a friend this afternoon - we made a plan to do it weekly.
3. The water at the beach was amazing - it was so flat and so warm walking on the edge of it - and as you know we have just entered winter down here - I love my little part of the world.
4. I am staying strong so far - I didn't drink ANY soft drink yesterday.
5. I still haven't had chocolate.
6. I am down 1 kg since Friday morning when I did my weight as a reset and focus on moving forward and downward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!