• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 15-24, 2006

gssmks

Believing in Pixie Dust
I am considering a trip to So. California from June 15-24. This will be my first trip to California and have some questions:

1. What are will the attendance at DL be like this time of year?

2. What are the temperatures in So. Cal like this time of year?

3. Will must of the rides and attractions be open by this time? I read somewhere that Pirates of the Carribean is closed this winter for rehab. Will it be up and running by then?

4. Is the fantasmic dessert/balcony worth the additional cost? How difficult is it for children (age 8) to see from the general viewing area?

5. Does fantasmic only show on Friday and Saturday nights?

If anyone has any special tips and advice on "absolutely do not miss" attractions, I would love to hear your thoughts.

1. Pretty busy--that's about the time school gets out here.

2. June Gloom is what we call that time of year. You won't see the sun for at least the first part of the day, but it's not really cold (actually will get to be in the upper 70-low 80s during the day). Don't think that it'll rain, cuz it won't.

3. Not sure about this--there's rumors about the Monorail being down (it'll go down for several months sometime next year as the Tomorrowland station has to be demolished and rebuilt). Pirates should be back by then.

4. Personally, I can't justify the cost (the cost of a one-day, one-park admission), but then I'm there all the time. If you get there early, no problem whatsoever.

5. No, it's should be nightly. Granted, that's the time when there might be grad nights and if there are, the park closes early and there won't be Fantasmic on those nights.

My only other option would be March 13-19, 2006, which is DD's Spring Break. In your opinion would this be a better time? When do the schools in So. Cal. have Spring Break? Again, what kind of crowds would I be looking at?

Most spring breaks don't start until the next week (and most are the week before and/or after Easter), so you might be pretty good with those dates. However, Fantasmic and Fireworks will only be on weekends with those dates as I don't think DL will consider those to be spring break yet.

We were there June 20 - 25 this year.

We thought the weather was great hot even! I think in the high 20's low 30's (celcius)(upper 80's I think) in the day and maybe 19ish (upper 60's I think) in the morning and evening. We did not need long pants or sweatshirts or anything the entire time we were there.

I think fantasmic was on daily as well as the block party bash and the parade of dreams a few times each day.

We did have one night of early closure due to a grad night thing.

We didn't find the park overly busy in the morning until around noonish sometime - then it started getting busy - we went back to the hotel for naps and swimming during that very hot very busy part of the day for the most part. When we went back in later it wasn't too bad again. I think we might have waited around 45 minutes to get really good seats for parades and fireworks.

Sorry, I have no idea about ride closures at that time (they were all open when we went) you could check out http://www.riderefurbs.com

We also never watched fantasmic - so I can't help you on that one...

In terms of must dos... what age/s is your group?

Carole

Shelebeen said:
We were there June 20 - 25 this year.

We thought the weather was great hot even! I think in the high 20's low 30's (celcius)(upper 80's I think) in the day and maybe 19ish (upper 60's I think) in the morning and evening. We did not need long pants or sweatshirts or anything the entire time we were there.

I think fantasmic was on daily as well as the block party bash and the parade of dreams a few times each day.

We did have one night of early closure due to a grad night thing.

We didn't find the park overly busy in the morning until around noonish sometime - then it started getting busy - we went back to the hotel for naps and swimming during that very hot very busy part of the day for the most part. When we went back in later it wasn't too bad again. I think we might have waited around 45 minutes to get really good seats for parades and fireworks.

Sorry, I have no idea about ride closures at that time (they were all open when we went) you could check out http://www.riderefurbs.com

We also never watched fantasmic - so I can't help you on that one...

In terms of must dos... what age/s is your group?

Carole

Thanks for the info. I checked the web site on refurbs. It said that POC will be closed until June 22nd. We were planning to be there from the 19th thru the 23rd. Are the attractions usually reopened on the advertised dates, or are these just Disney's goal dates?

It will be my DD (age 8) and myself on this trip.

I have yet to see Disney miss a deadline. If the date is out there (and Disney put it out there), they get the attraction open by then, if not before. Granted, I don't trust any of the dates until the work has started.

Well I would not plan a trip on POC being opened on the exact dates. I planned late June with the assumption they want it open for July 4th and the premier of POC II movie. That gives the a week for being late.

Just ask the folks who planned trips around Test Track openeing at Epcot !!

Dave O.

Ok, let's just say, I've yet to see DL miss a deadline, esp on a refurb that's only for a few months.

We did the southern Cali pass this year June 25th -July 2nd stayed at PP and 1 night in SD.

We loved it and had a great time .Sweat shirt early morning and late night but great all day.
We did all the rides in our 3 days with out rushing.It was my 2nd time DW & DD 1st time to DL and CALI.I didn't think it was crowded compaired to WDW at the same time of the year.

tmt martins said:
We did the southern Cali pass this year June 25th -July 2nd stayed at PP and 1 night in SD.

We loved it and had a great time .Sweat shirt early morning and late night but great all day.
We did all the rides in our 3 days with out rushing.It was my 2nd time DW & DD 1st time to DL and CALI.I didn't think it was crowded compaired to WDW at the same time of the year.

Were all the rides and attractions up and going or were some in refurb.? I'm assuming the parks were opened late. I am strongly considering putting the trip off a week or two to make sure POC is back up. You probably think it's crazy to plan around one ride. POC was a favorite of both mine and my DD at WDW. From what I have read in guide books and on various web sites, the DL version is even better than the WDW. We live on the other side of the country and may not ever make it back to DL again. I would just hate to miss it. Also, I am really wanting to eat the restuarant inside the POC.

gssmks said:
Were all the rides and attractions up and going or were some in refurb.? I'm assuming the parks were opened late. I am strongly considering putting the trip off a week or two to make sure POC is back up. You probably think it's crazy to plan around one ride. POC was a favorite of both mine and my DD at WDW. From what I have read in guide books and on various web sites, the DL version is even better than the WDW. We live on the other side of the country and may not ever make it back to DL again. I would just hate to miss it. Also, I am really wanting to eat the restuarant inside the POC.

No it's not crazy to plan around 1 ride if it's your favorite you just have to be a realist and know it could go down while your there as well and not let it ruin your trip.

The only thing that went down when we were there was Cali screaming we were lucky enough to get on it in the morning ( DD first looping rc.got her before she was awake enough to say no ) but other then that all other and show were great.

We were looking at a FAV RIDE THREAD yesterday and were naming all the great rides but came up with POC as the only 1 we never miss and do multible times pre day we don't pass it unless we ride it.It's different better ??? I love them both.

We also live on east coast and while I'll get to Cali. againg the family won't be going back for a while either.

Go and have a great trip also I heard the SCP is including US instead of Knotts You might want to look into that as well.

we booked yesterday for 6/17-23. Depending on what website you check, POTC will either be down until 6/16 or 6/22. I'm hoping for the 16th.

hawkrn said:
we booked yesterday for 6/17-23. Depending on what website you check, POTC will either be down until 6/16 or 6/22. I'm hoping for the 16th.

Hopefully we will see you there. Where are you staying? We booked four nights at Howard Johnson, but are still considering one of the Disney resorts.

And remember, starting around the middle of June, they have a Flag Retreat Ceremony that has live music-the All American Band will be back!

Gail, we are staying at GC, which is a stretch for us. We are WDW moderate people, and this is definitely a splurge. But my DS wants to be an architect and Frank Lloyd Wright is his fave and that's what GC is themed after so...I am looking for this to be a less stressful trip compared to our last WDW trip which was exhausting (staying in the parks till 2AM!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter