July trip 2 days

NicholeB630

DIS Veteran
Hi were going to Universal and IOA on July 20 and 21. Saturday and Sunday. I know weekends probably are not ideal BUT were stopping in Orlando for a quick stay 4 nights at the Loews Portofino (in a minion suite) and doing Hollywood studios early morning in Toy Story land on Monday before flying to the Bahamas on Tuesday!

I took my kids for the first time ever to Universal and IOA last June for just 1 day. I flew in to meet my mom and her husband and we spend the day there before driving to another area in FL. We arrived at the park around 9ish and stayed till about 5, we didn't ride everything but got a lot done and used express pass, although most rides it wasn't needed. We would have done more but the kids were up at 4am for a super early flight! I found that early June the crowds were so manageable except Harry Potter land. That was insane. But everywhere else was great, nothing like Disney which Im so used to.

Now I think it had to do with it being a Monday and it was still pretty early June I wanna say like the second week maybe so I know not all schools everywhere are out. Should I prepare for a HUGE increase in crowds going in July? We will have the unlimited express passes for each day. I did not do park hoppers though, I just figured we'd do each park a different day. Stay from Open to as long as we can make it. We will get there before it opens and use the early entry with staying on site, Im not sure how that works if its certain days or what?

Do I need to plan out what rides to go to first like we do at Disney? I know with EP its so much easier because you're not locked into times. There are a few rides we wont do, the hulk, the drop one and the rip rocket one. But pretty much everything else thats 48" and under. Last time we just went in order kinda of how the park was set up which was easier. We did more at IOA then Universal as my 6 year old was falling asleep walking by then haha...

Any tips would be great!! Thanks!

Early entry is everyday. Usually only in one park.

Crowds will probably be increased over what you saw last time, but you should not have much problem with the EP plus you will have 2 days this time.

I actually think there is more to do in the studios side than IOA.

You can go over the rides and decide what you do not want to do. Easier than making a list of what you do want to do.

I like the just ride what you come to method. I hate backtracking and zig zagging across the parks which is a constant at disney. Another reason I gave up disney.

Hi I am a June and July visitor to Universal and can tell you yes the crowds will be heavier. You may also encounter some of the tour groups. I absolutely think you should do EE or as early as possible for the HP worlds. Those crowds are miserable later on in the summer. We like to walk around when it is quieter. We usually circle IOA and do the rides unless we make an unexpected trip to Hogsmeade via the Hogwart's Express. Unfortunately that is the only ride you can't do without the park hopper. We go in order pretty much in the studios once in awhile we back track to a ride again. I love the leisurely pace with the express pass. We do spend more time in the Studios too then IOA. However, that might change with the changes over there.

Last summer was the first time in a couple of years that they did not have both parks open for early entry. They only had the studios when we were there. I am not sure if that is the new norm or it will go back.

Enjoy!

Early entry is everyday. Usually only in one park.

Crowds will probably be increased over what you saw last time, but you should not have much problem with the EP plus you will have 2 days this time.

I actually think there is more to do in the studios side than IOA.

You can go over the rides and decide what you do not want to do. Easier than making a list of what you do want to do.

I like the just ride what you come to method. I hate backtracking and zig zagging across the parks which is a constant at disney. Another reason I gave up disney.

Ok great. Ill look at times and def do the park each day with the early morning assuming. On Sat and Sun each will have one day? I agree I hate the zig zagging of Disney. As much as I LOVE Disney its a pain with all the planing. I liked how at Universal we just kinda went the path. I think we'll stick to that method this time as well. Im not sure we'll care much about Harry Potter we do not watch the movies but did enjoy the rides. But as far as just being in that land before crowds I dont think we'll care.

Hi I am a June and July visitor to Universal and can tell you yes the crowds will be heavier. You may also encounter some of the tour groups. I absolutely think you should do EE or as early as possible for the HP worlds. Those crowds are miserable later on in the summer. We like to walk around when it is quieter. We usually circle IOA and do the rides unless we make an unexpected trip to Hogsmeade via the Hogwart's Express. Unfortunately that is the only ride you can't do without the park hopper. We go in order pretty much in the studios once in awhile we back track to a ride again. I love the leisurely pace with the express pass. We do spend more time in the Studios too then IOA. However, that might change with the changes over there.

Last summer was the first time in a couple of years that they did not have both parks open for early entry. They only had the studios when we were there. I am not sure if that is the new norm or it will go back.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. Like I said before were not really HP fans but the area was neat and in June that place was packed. The rest of the parks were great but that area. We had no trouble getting on the HP rides at IOA but even with the Express pass we waited like 45 minutes to ride that one over in Universal. I dont remember the name. The one that looks like you're in a bank. So maybe we'll go straight there at opening and then just make our way around the park. I love how the EP is and you can go at any time unlike Disney FP. It was a nice change last year not planning our day and just going with the flow.

Also the new Hagrid coaster will be open in IOA by then ….. not sure how old your kids are but might want to hit that first on whatever day you do the IOA side - that will get busy!

Also the new Hagrid coaster will be open in IOA by then ….. not sure how old your kids are but might want to hit that first on whatever day you do the IOA side - that will get busy!

Yes I looked into that ride and we def will want to ride it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts