• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July Chicago DIS Meet (moved)

Dan Murphy

We are family.
A great time was had as usual! :D

I had arrived about 10 AM to get things started along...balloons, etc. Dopeygirl showed up shortly after me. The first of the pin traders showed up about 10:30, as planned. :eek: It was great to see some familiar faces from the previous 2 Chicago meets held earlier this year. :)

We were all able to meet right in front of the RFC in a nice area that had seating and was set off from the mall foot traffic. I did try to coerce several passerbys, who stopped to ask what was going on and who we were, to join us. Hey, Pete!! Any new registered DIS'ers from Chicago?? :D

By noontime, the time of the RFC part of the meet, there was about 35 or so DIS'ers accounted for. We all procceded in and were promptly seated by a VERY efficient wait staff in a 'private room' of the RFC. Deb was our coordinator, and Anna and Connor were our immediate wait staff..and great they were!!
flowerface.GIF
Anna and Connor, if you are reading this, as you said you might, register and say hello to us..we'd love to hear from you!!! The room was set off a little by itself for a little more privacy and was really neat. :) We had all the ambiance of the RFC though and it is Disneyesque to say the least. The balloons added a Disney feel to the day, as if it was needed. LOL :eek:

Within 30 minutes or so, we had approximately 50 folks enjoying themselves, united with their common love of The Mouse.
ms.GIF

Lunch started to be served very promptly and was unlimited, family style. It was very good and very tasty. By the time I got to eat, I felt like the groom at his wedding. LOL
looney.GIF

After lunch, the conversation kept up at a fever pitch, pin trading was going on like the corn pit at the Chicago Board of Trade and the love we all share here was transpiring to all.
ANGELWING.GIF

A little bit later, an RFC lady came in with the most beautiful Tigger/Pooh cake, with candles aburning. A moment later, I had 50 wonderful people singing "Happy Birthday" to me, their friend. It was very moving and I kept my response to a very short, quick "Thank you. Trust me, guys, if I said any more, being how easy it is to get me weepy..well you would not want to have seen a 56 yo 6'6" grown man doing what I have done so often here with the DIS.
blushie.GIF
The beautiful cake was provided by December99 and her very nice family. Thanks, Chris! :)

The pin trading was going on still, fast and furious. Throughout the day, several DIS folks gave me pins, no trades, just gave to me. This is not the first time this has happened and I appreciated it, and for those that did, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. My pin number is up to 31 now!! OMG!!!
errrr.GIF

There was a good number of children and they were having a ball. It was so nice to see so many kids enjoying life. Also, a good number of DIS'ers brought their spouses or S/O's or friends. That was neat!!!! They too, seemed to have a great time. Not sure what they said on the way home, but they looked happy at the meet.
:rolleyes:

About 2:30 PM, the first of the folks who needed to leave, started to do so. A few who started, actually sat down again for another shot of friendship..not wanting to leave (just like WDW, LOL). :cool: By 3:30 or so, we were down to about 10 DIS'ers and finally closed up shop close to 5 PM.

I think, IMO, we had a very successful DIS meet. The few keys to success are to first, DO IT!! Someone start the ball rolling.
idea.GIF
Try to get at least one, maybe two others, to help you. PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE!! Keep it up on the boards..the CB and Collectors Board. If you have never been to a DIS meet and have the opportunity..do it. If none are in your area, start one, get the ball rolling. It is a lot of fun. I have been to meets at WDW, Philly, NJ, Dallas, Chicago(3). I have met a few DIS'ers in NY. I think they are wonderful.

I will always try to attend if possible, as I find the friendship just an extension of The DIS..or is The DIS an extension of the folks we meet at DIS meets?? Hmmmmmmmmmm :)

Dan

And thank you, Dopeygirl, for your relentless follow up with your emails, your planning website you designed and your overall help and enthusiasm for success. Your help was invaluable. Also a thankyou to December99 and TaraB for your help, (and that cake, 99).

1. DSCN0230.jpg

Here I am 'posing' with 3 TDS CM's I 'dragged' out of the local TDS to wish us well. LOL :)
  2. DSCN0231.jpg

The same 3 CM's wishing us success!
  3. DSCN0233.jpg

10:30 AM and the pin traders start arriving.
  4. DSCN0234.jpg

RFC awaits us.
  5. DSCN0235.jpg

December99, her DH, Dr P(Mike)and DD, Brittany talking to NancyIL
  6. DSCN0236.jpg

KiminChicago and her DD Sarah
  7. DSCN0237.jpg

The crowd is growing..nice area with seating to gather for a bit before meet.
  8. DSCN0238.jpg

And the crowd still gathers.
  9. DSCN0239.jpg

Figment2, Pongo & Perdita, sshd, CKupres (front to back)
  10. DSCN0240.jpg

Dopeygirl getting the balloons placed..the hour is at hand. :D
  11. DSCN0241.jpg

The beautiful birthday cake December99 brought for me.
    blushie.GIF

12. DSCN0243.jpg

FantasMic on left, Perdita & Pongo and DH, David on right
  13. DSCN0244.jpg

jojoct and Goofy4pins
  14. DSCN0245.jpg

WillyJ (corn man) and jojoct
  15. DSCN0246.jpg

Alice, Flitter, and Alice's DD, Lindsey
  16. DSCN0247.jpg

General view of a few tables.
  17. DSCN0249.jpg

Donna W and DH, Mark on left and GoofyKaren and sshd on right(Help me fill in the other names, please)
  18. DSCN0250.jpg

Goofy4pins DD's Alicia and Perdita & Pongo's DD Megan with bear
  19. DSCN0251.jpg

A visitor who watched over us the whole afternoon. :eek:
  20. DSCN0252.jpg

Magyar2 and DD's Emma & Alicia and DH John, December99 and DH, Dr. P. (Mike) and DD, Brittany on left side, then and TaraB and DD, Parker, then Firehouse West family (Robin, Alexis, Eric and Christian on right.
  21. DSCN0253.jpg

Marie and family (?)
  22. DSCN0256.jpg

1 of 3 full group shots
  23. DSCN0257.jpg

2 of 3 full group shots
  24. DSCN0258.jpg

3 of 3 full group shots
  25. DSCN0260.jpg

Front (Blue Shirt) Cyndi/Figment2
    Next row back on left:
    Jason, Jeanie/FantasMic, Nancy/Pongo&Perdita, Cathi/CKupres
    Back Row
    Mary/Flitter, Kathie/ID6421 or Goofy4Pins (as stated by Flitter in a post below, thanks, Mary)
  26. DSCN0261.jpg

Dopeygirl on left and December99 and DD, Brittany on right
  27. DSCN0262.jpg

Our fabulous wait staff, Anna and Connor, in front of a huge fish tank.
  28. DSCN0265.jpg

Connor and Anna again. They were GREAT!!! :D
  29. DSCN0268.jpg

Me holding on to the remnants of the meet....good memories at RFC!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter