July 2020

ceejayzvan

Earning My Ears
Hello Disney World Experts,

Our trip isn't until July 2020, but I would like to figure out the best time to purchase our Disney tickets. I believe in Canada there's a discount around January? Is that the best time or are there other opportunities? We're not going for free dining.

Thanks!

I think this year it will be a huge mystery as to if there will have a Canadian Discount like they have had in the past couple of years. With the opening of Galaxy's Edge...they may not need to offer a Canadian Discount to get us to visit them. That's just my opinion. I think lots of us are holding our breath to see what will be happening this fall and how they will figure out a new way to gouge us out of more money. Disney is very good at it...and we keep handing over our hard earned money lol :confused3 :rolleyes:

Since your trip isn't for over a year, I wouldn't sweat buying tickets. Hopefully there will be a Canadian Resident discount this fall and, if so, you should grab them then. Otherwise, you don't need them until 2 months before your trip if you're staying onsite, or 1 month if you're offsite to book your fastpasses.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll see what comes up in the Fall for ticket discounts and keep my fingers crossed.

I can honestly think of reasons for Disney to offer or not offer the Canadian discount again this year. My gut feeling is that they will offer it again regardless of what's happening in the parks. My impression and it's just that, an impression, is that the offer is more closely linked to the CDN $ and their research about Canadian visitor's habits than to anything else.

After our last trip in January I received an invitation to do a survey about the offer. My guess is that since we have bought the Canadian Discount Tickets each time they've been offered, they chose us for feedback. Some of the questions were very direct, asking outright if we would have made our last trip without the ticket discount. I answered honestly and said we likely would not have gone without the discount. The nice thing about the Canadian ticket offer is that it can be combined with room only discounts. And if you get your tickets from Disney as part of a package (with room discount or not) there is no need to present ID such as a passport to activate the tickets. Just check in and go.

All we can do now is wait. Offers for the post Christmas period should be out in September sometime and if we don't hear anything about the Canadian ticket deal by late November, it'll likely not happen. That's my best guess. Still plenty of time before your trip.

dis_guy, do you remember the min number of days required in the past for the Canadian discount?

Just did a few quick searches...looks like the minimum was 4 days.
Thanks!
Bummer as our plan is a 3 day next year...but still, hope they still offer that Canadian discount ticket. Our dollar is so bad that anything will help.

The math might come out better for a 4 day discounted ticket than a 3 day non-discounted ticket and just have a "throw away" day. As always do your due diligence.

We are waiting patiently for the Canadian resident deal too! I'm going to think positive and say there will be an offer soon, like maybe next week. I think they'll offer it mainly because our dollar is so bad. Fingers crossed!!

Nobody knows if there will be a discount. On one hand, with SWGE opening soon, they may decide a discount is not necessary. OTOH, with crowds at DLR being much lower than anticipated despite the opening of SWGE, they might decide to give one. I suspect they will see what crowds are like once SWGE opens, and if they are low, they might offer one.

Traditionally, prices go up early in the new year, I believe around the end of Feb, so if there is no discount by then, I would buy before prices go up. I saved a bundle purchasing through Undercover Tourist for our upcoming trip and I would recommend going that route if there is no Disney discount available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!