Joy in the World ~ a magical Christmas weekend! real life update 04/07

I really enjoyed the holiday storytellers. You could spend a couple of days in World Showcase just taking in the various performers and holiday kitchens.

I think if I were to return at Christmas time again, I'd forego the party and focus on those types of things as well.

If I had have had more time, I think I would have got them all. But I had fun with it and it's a great way to explore the pavilions a bit more.

They do take time, that's for sure.

Upon checking in at the R&C podium, I was told they were running at least 1/2 hr behind and to take a seat somewhere.

That was my experience last time as well. I'll never return there. The food was horrible, the patio seating is garbage and the prices outrageous.

Now if you have ever been to the R&C on the patio, you'll remember there is an awkward three top right as you enter the patio. It's directly across from the servers station and is indisputably the worst table you can get.

I know that table.

Yet, five minutes later the next people in line are led inside to a two top!!!!!!

.... aaaaaaaaaaand that's when I'd have spoken up. Just not okay.

(Strongbow cider with blackcurrant juice).

I'd drink that! Sounds really nice and refreshing.

Could you imagine charging $12.00 (!!!!) for the likes of that salad???

Absolutely NOT!
or the main I went for the Scottish salmon with mashed potatoes and green beans. While the plating was totally uninspired, the salmon was perfectly cooked to medium and the potatoes and beans were well seasoned and piping hot.

At least there was that. :rolleyes:

Under the Candlelight Processional package, I had prepaid $62.00 for this meal. Separately priced, it came out to $51.00. It seemed as though most of the package guests were out on the patio with lackluster service and not the best atmosphere.

Totally unacceptable. I do think I'd have spoken with a manager and shared your observations.

I will say the next table in front of me were the sweetest couple who invited me to come and eat with them as they didn't think anyone should be by themselves so close to Christmas. It was very kind of them but I decided to stay at my own table. We had a lovely chat though and I appreciated their warmth and thoughtfulness.

Awww, I love when that happens. How sweet!

Can I just say how much I loved the Skyliner??? Such an awesome way to travel! I was back at Pop with 20 minutes of leaving Epcot

I can't wait to ride it!! Not sure when that'll be, but....

That was my experience last time as well. I'll never return there. The food was horrible, the patio seating is garbage and the prices outrageous.
Pretty much spot on for my experience too. :(
I know that table.
Isn't it lovely???
.... aaaaaaaaaaand that's when I'd have spoken up. Just not okay.
I know, I spoke to my waiter about it and I really should have escalated to a manager. The wait staff seemed completely uninterested in actually doing their jobs.
Absolutely NOT!
There might have been 50 cents worth of ingredients there.
Totally unacceptable. I do think I'd have spoken with a manager and shared your observations.
I still can't figure out why the cost of the package is more than the cost of the food you receive?
I can't wait to ride it!! Not sure when that'll be, but....
Hopefully sooner than later and ideally at a time when I am down so we can finally meet in person!

I headed towards the UK pavilion as I had a little time to kill before my 4:00 reservation at the Rose and Crown. I enjoyed taking in the last of the set of the British Revolution,

We like listing to them too.

Now if you have ever been to the R&C on the patio, you'll remember there is an awkward three top right as you enter the patio. It's directly across from the servers station and is indisputably the worst table you can get. Any guesses as to which table they sat me at??? I was not pleased at all and requested an indoor table. I was told it would be at least another 40 minutes for a two top inside. Yet, five minutes later the next people in line are led inside to a two top!!!!!!

Oh noooooo! So sorry for this.

Under the Candlelight Processional package, I had prepaid $62.00 for this meal. Separately priced, it came out to $51.00. It seemed as though most of the package guests were out on the patio with lackluster service and not the best atmosphere.

What a disappointing meal. And I hate not getting my money's worth.

Note to self.......do not go to Epcot on the weekend again!

We went on the Sunday and it was crowded then too.

Gary Sinise was the narrator for the Candlelight Processional that night and he was absolutely incredible. The show was everything I hoped it would be. I was so overcome by emotion during the Hallelujah chorus and their rendition of Oh Holy Night. Even now, five weeks later I still tear up thinking of that experience. I was so engrossed in the beautiful voices of the young people in the choirs, the Voices of Liberty singers, the symphony orchestra and the pageantry of the trumpeters. I didn't take any pictures as I wanted to be fully present in every moment. It was an experience like no other and I look forward to the day I can see it again.

This sounds so fabulous! I'm sorry we missed it but with a 2 year old we know he wouldn't do well with the waiting.

Can I just say how much I loved the Skyliner??? Such an awesome way to travel! I was back at Pop with 20 minutes of leaving Epcot

We loved it tooo!

This cookie is fabulous!!
IMG_5569.JPG

Yes it does. I need to try this.

Oh I'm so glad! :goodvibes And I bet it went a long way to make up for the less-than-stellar experience at R&C just before!
It really did! It was such a wonderful experience and I can't wait to see it again.
Yum! Looks and sounds delicious! And far better than the lackluster pudding at R&C ::yes::
Best cookie ever! I will happily travel over to Pop on my next trip just to get it again. :)
What a disappointing meal. And I hate not getting my money's worth.
I know! I couldn't figure out why it was so much more than the value of the meal. Although I guess we were paying a premium for reserved seating for the Candlelight Processional. They were making quite the profit off the CP package people if that was the case.
We went on the Sunday and it was crowded then too.
I couldn't get over the crowds!
This sounds so fabulous! I'm sorry we missed it but with a 2 year old we know he wouldn't do well with the waiting.
It would definitely be too much for a little one.
We loved it tooo!
It really is a game changer.
Yes it does. I need to try this.
It's my new favourite....just delicious!

Great picture with Mickey!

Ah I'm sorry your experience at R&C was so crummy :( But I am so glad you enjoyed the CP! SOunds like regardless, it's worth it to get the package vs waiting in line for hours!

Mmm that cookie does look delicious!!

I'm here!! Sorry it took so long for me to catch up. Life went absolutely bananas once we got back in December! Lol

What a fun morning you had in MK! That train storm hit us when we were in DHS and we got drenched! Lol

Sorry about the less than stellar dinner service at Rose & Crown! But I'm glad the Candlelight Processional made up for it! Dan and I never made it to our CP. We were both exhausted and called an audible! Boulder Ridge was calling our name! Lol

I think the closing of the Character Spot led to the fab four being out and about in the parks but whatever the reason, I loved seeing them.

I think so too because we saw Minnie, Mickey and Goofy there pretty consistently! I liked it too! There's something about seeing them out in the open as soon as you walk in the park that's pretty magical.

I was told it would be at least another 40 minutes for a two top inside. Yet, five minutes later the next people in line are led inside to a two top!!!!!!

Ugh that's frustrating!!

Sadly, I got the driest, most tasteless piece of sticky toffee pudding to ever exist. The custard sauce was barely lukewarm and instead of the traditional (at least in Canada) whisky caramel sauce there was a rum butter sauce that tasted of nothing but sugar.

Oh no! We love Rose and Crown but your experience sounds miserable. It sounds like they were way too overwhelmed by regular reservations and CP packages and let the meal experience suffer as a result.

Isn't it lovely???

About as lovely as last night's leftovers.

I know, I spoke to my waiter about it and I really should have escalated to a manager. The wait staff seemed completely uninterested in actually doing their jobs.

It should have been. I think though it wasn't a problem only for you, but a systemic problem that needs to be addressed to upper management. In this case maybe a letter would go further.

There might have been 50 cents worth of ingredients there.

IF that.
Hopefully sooner than later and ideally at a time when I am down so we can finally meet in person!
Wouldn't that be lovely?! I think there's some talk of a large group of ladies heading there in Fall (?) 2021, but nothing at all has been decided or really even talked about much. But... maybe?

Great picture with Mickey!

Ah I'm sorry your experience at R&C was so crummy :( But I am so glad you enjoyed the CP! SOunds like regardless, it's worth it to get the package vs waiting in line for hours!

Mmm that cookie does look delicious!!
Thanks! I was loving seeing the characters out and about. So fun! The package with reserved seating makes all the difference as the stand by line for the CP was 4 hours!!
I'm here!! Sorry it took so long for me to catch up. Life went absolutely bananas once we got back in December! Lol
:welcome: Cloe! Glad you are here! Coming home to close to Christmas just throws everything into overdrive. And then you were so sick! Hope you are feeling better now. :)
What a fun morning you had in MK! That train storm hit us when we were in DHS and we got drenched! Lol
Oh my gosh, that rain was crazy! I loved my time in MK, just so magical with the Christmas decor.
Sorry about the less than stellar dinner service at Rose & Crown! But I'm glad the Candlelight Processional made up for it! Dan and I never made it to our CP. We were both exhausted and called an audible! Boulder Ridge was calling our name! Lol
Too bad you guys didn't get to the CP. I totally get the Disney exhaustion though.....sometimes just enjoying the resort and relaxing is the best thing you can do.
I think so too because we saw Minnie, Mickey and Goofy there pretty consistently! I liked it too! There's something about seeing them out in the open as soon as you walk in the park that's pretty magical.
It really was! :goodvibes
Oh no! We love Rose and Crown but your experience sounds miserable. It sounds like they were way too overwhelmed by regular reservations and CP packages and let the meal experience suffer as a result.
They certainly were busy but they would know how many packages and ADRs were coming in and should plan accordingly. If the service had have been better I might have been a little more understanding. On the bright side,there are so many other places to choose from and R&C will always be a great spot to grab a pint. :)
It should have been. I think though it wasn't a problem only for you, but a systemic problem that needs to be addressed to upper management. In this case maybe a letter would go further.
Agreed!
Wouldn't that be lovely?! I think there's some talk of a large group of ladies heading there in Fall (?) 2021, but nothing at all has been decided or really even talked about much. But... maybe?
I am hoping for a second Epic trip......fall is hard for me as travel during the school year is extremely limited but I could probably manage a 4 day weekend. :)

Brunch on Disney at my new favourite restaurant!

I woke up to blue skies and sunshine and quickly got ready to head out on the day's adventures. I thought I would check out Landscape of Flavours for my coffee this morning. It such an easy walk from the 80's section at Pop along the bridge and soon I was admiring all the oversized props and bright colours of Art of Animation. I had polished off the rest of my delicious cookie from the night before for an early morning treat so really just needed some caffeine. Coffee in hand, I headed out to the bus stop but a Disney Springs bus was still 1/2 hr away. I pulled up my Lyft app and within 5 minutes, a car had arrived to whisk me off to the Springs.

I really enjoyed my walk through Disney Springs this morning..........the weather was just perfect and the sun was shining. I couldn't resist taking this shot of the water as I walked towards what would soon be my favourite new restaurant........Homecomin'!

IMG_5573.JPG

Upon entering the restaurant for my brunch reservation, I was immediately struck by how bright and inviting the space was. I was led to a two top across from the kitchen prep area. It was an okay seat but I wasn't loving looking into the prep area. I decided to sit on the other side of the table and was just angling my chair to get the sun out of my eyes when the manager came over. We chatted for a minute and he said "I noticed you don't look very comfortable. Come walk around with me and pick any seat in the house that you would like. I just want you to feel happy and relaxed." I couldn't believe it but I got up and walked around the restaurant with him and found another two top that wasn't in direct sun light. I thanked him for his kindness and concern and settled in to look over the menu. Of course I was going to go for a brunch cocktail and settled on the White Peach Sangria (La Perlina Moscato with muddled orange and mango, fresh peach puree, peach moonshine and a moonshine soaked peach wedge). My waiter came over to take my order and said "Please pick any drink on the menu, Mickey wants you to start off the day on a happy note!" I had been at the restaurant less than 15 minutes at this point and the pixie dust was overflowing! My drink arrived and was everything a brunch cocktail should be.....

59811345062__27AA77DB-E1B8-4688-91E1-6A7F7618E352.JPG

My waiter came to check on how I was enjoying my drink and was friendly and chatty. I decided on my food order and went for the fried green eggs and ham. This was an open faced biscuit topped with griddled country ham, fried green tomatoes, over easy eggs, dressed arugula and a remoulade sauce. Let me tell you, this was heaven in every bite! I went for fresh fruit as my side.

IMG_5575.JPG

My entire meal was on Disney as I had opted out of housekeeping at Pop and had a $20 gift card to use. The food, ambiance and incredible service made this a meal to remember. Definitely Disney done right and I can't wait to come back to Homecomin' again.

Leaving the restaurant, I had a little time to kill before the Christmas tree trail opened at 11:00. I enjoyed browsing around the shops but didn't find anything that was a must have. Still, it was nice to just wander around with no particular agenda and take in the sights and sounds. Everything was decorated so beautifully for Christmas and I loved the main tree.

IMG_5588.JPG

I headed towards the Christmas tree trail and was lucky to be among the first as the entrance as they opened for the day. I just loved the creativity of all the trees and thoroughly enjoyed taking in all the details. Here are some of my favourites.....

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5584 (1).JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

I had such a fun morning! Now it was time to head off to the bus stop for an afternoon of monorail resort hopping! Where would I go first? What would my favourite resort decor be? What monorail bar would I drop by for cocktails? Coming up soon!

I thought I would check out Landscape of Flavours for my coffee this morning. It such an easy walk from the 80's section at Pop along the bridge
Ah! When I stayed there, AoA seemed so far away that I never ventured over.
I headed out to the bus stop but a Disney Springs bus was still 1/2 hr away. I pulled up my Lyft app and within 5 minutes, a car had arrived to whisk me off to the Springs.
Smart and easy decision.
Pretty!
I was led to a two top across from the kitchen prep area. It was an okay seat but I wasn't loving looking into the prep area
Ew... I wouldn't have been happy either. And I asked to be moved the one time I was there. Got sat right by the front entrance.
"I noticed you don't look very comfortable. Come walk around with me and pick any seat in the house that you would like. I just want you to feel happy and relaxed."
Wow! That's... wow!
settled on the White Peach Sangria
Good choice! Sounds wonderful.
"Please pick any drink on the menu, Mickey wants you to start off the day on a happy note!" I had been at the restaurant less than 15 minutes at this point and the pixie dust was overflowing!
You should've asked for a lottery ticket, too!
This was an open faced biscuit topped with griddled country ham, fried green tomatoes, over easy eggs, dressed arugula and a remoulade sauce. Let me tell you, this was heaven in every bite!
I'm drooling.
Still, it was nice to just wander around with no particular agenda and take in the sights and sounds.
::yes:: I'm really loving doing that.
Here are some of my favourites.....
I like them, except...
Don't care for that one. Seems... a bit overdone for my taste. But to each his (or her) own, and that's what makes the variety so great. :)

This is the sad reality of what I received.....maybe 8 somewhat limp lettuce leaves, 3 halved grape tomatoes, a few shreds of grated carrot and raisins. To add insult to injury, the cracker was stale and there was far too much dressing. I salvaged what I could of it and hoped my main course would be better. Could you imagine charging $12.00 (!!!!) for the likes of that salad???
That salad looked sad...

For the main I went for the Scottish salmon with mashed potatoes and green beans. While the plating was totally uninspired, the salmon was perfectly cooked to medium and the potatoes and beans were well seasoned and piping hot. This goes for $27.00 on their menu.
At least the salmon was good...

I was looking forward to dessert as I adore Sticky Toffee pudding and decided to go for that along with a cup of tea. Now I don't know why you can never get tea made with freshly boiled water in the US....the water is hot but not boiling and you need boiling water for proper tea. Yes, I was cranky over this whole experience by this point and was really hoping dessert would be delicious. Sadly, I got the driest, most tasteless piece of sticky toffee pudding to ever exist. The custard sauce was barely lukewarm and instead of the traditional (at least in Canada) whisky caramel sauce there was a rum butter sauce that tasted of nothing but sugar. Not the ending I was hoping for.
Yep, I think I will take Rose and Crown off my "to do" list. Although, we did just do the Twinning Tea Experience here last week and LOVED it. But, more on that later...

I was headed off to ride Frozen Ever After now and fought my way through the crowds of people towards Norway. Note to self.......do not go to Epcot on the weekend again! FEA was as sweet as always and I really enjoyed it. I thought about getting a drink before the show but lines were crazy everywhere. Instead I hopped in line to wait for the 8:15 showing. The crowds were insane!
It was extremely crowded during Festival of the Arts opening weekend, so I get it.

Now it was time to head off to the bus stop for an afternoon of monorail resort hopping!
Aww! This is one of my fav things to do in Disney!!!

I'm a little late to this party as I just found your TR! But always love reading about solo trips...and also by a fellow Canadian!

Final thoughts on Pop....... I would absolutely stay here again. If I had a late flight where it made no sense to spend $$$$ to only go to sleep or if I was doing a quick go, go, go trip like this one, Pop would be a great option. I would give it an 8/10 for cleanliness, theming, friendly CMs and the Skyliner. All in all, it was a good choice, especially with the AP rate I snagged in the summer.

This sounds perfect!

decided to go for the kids waffle meal with extra bacon. This came with a water and fruit on the side. Quite the bargain for $6.49!

This is just the right size, I love Disney's kids meals. I wonder if they let you order them with an alcoholic drink on the side lol?

All of you are well aware of the state of things at Epcot. I thought I was prepared but there was nothing quite like seeing that construction zone in person. I

Ugh...I have that to look forward to in March. I'm sad about that because we are going with people who haven't been in many years and that's a sad state to have to see Epcot.

Going for plan B, I headed for Kringla bakery and picked up a schoolbread to enjoy

I love this snack and always walk miles to get it - my DD who is usually with me doesn't get why it's so famous, but I love it.

Bavarian Kitchen for the cider flight and the cheese fondue bowl.

This looks delish. Hoping they have something like it at F&G in March.

how lovely and tranquil it is at the Yacht Club and made a mental note to try and stay at the resort on my next trip, even if only for a night or two.

I've always wanted to stay at one of these resorts that you can walk to Epcot...sigh...one day!

I went for the Oatmeal Cream cookie (two oatmeal cookies with marshmellow buttercream, drizzled with cinnamon and chocolate fondant). All I can say is that I found my new favourite Disney snack. This cookie is fabulous!!

This looks amazing...I wonder if there is anywhere else you can get it?

Wow! That's... wow!
Old school Disney service!
Good choice! Sounds wonderful.
It was one of the tastiest sangrias I have ever enjoyed.
You should've asked for a lottery ticket, too!
Seriously!
::yes:: I'm really loving doing that.
It's one of the best perks of solo travel. :)
That salad looked sad...
So, so sad.....
At least the salmon was good...
I was glad there was at least one redeeming part of that meal.
Yep, I think I will take Rose and Crown off my "to do" list. Although, we did just do the Twinning Tea Experience here last week and LOVED it. But, more on that later...
Looking forward to your thoughts on the Tea Experience. I did it in March and absolutely adored it!
Aww! This is one of my fav things to do in Disney!!!
Same! Especially ending up with a refreshing beverage at the end of your travels. :)
I'm a little late to this party as I just found your TR! But always love reading about solo trips...and also by a fellow Canadian!
:welcome: Kathy! Glad to have you here. :)
This sounds perfect!
I loved Pop, it is a great little resort!
This is just the right size, I love Disney's kids meals. I wonder if they let you order them with an alcoholic drink on the side lol?
That would be perfect if they did!
Ugh...I have that to look forward to in March. I'm sad about that because we are going with people who haven't been in many years and that's a sad state to have to see Epcot.
I know....it really is not a good state of affairs. World Showcase still looks good though. And Epcot under construction is still better than no Epcot.
This looks delish. Hoping they have something like it at F&G in March.
It was delicious......if you look at F&G menus from last year you might find something similar. I always love cheese and bread so it was a definite winner for me.
I've always wanted to stay at one of these resorts that you can walk to Epcot...sigh...one day!
Love the Epcot area resorts. Walking distance to two parks is such a perk!
This looks amazing...I wonder if there is anywhere else you can get it?
I have never seen it anywhere else but would go to Everything Pop just for that cookie......:cloud9:

They certainly were busy but they would know how many packages and ADRs were coming in and should plan accordingly.

Yes that's very true!!

We chatted for a minute and he said "I noticed you don't look very comfortable. Come walk around with me and pick any seat in the house that you would like. I just want you to feel happy and relaxed.

That's phenomenal. I love that!

My waiter came over to take my order and said "Please pick any drink on the menu, Mickey wants you to start off the day on a happy note!"

Wow! How amazing!

My entire meal was on Disney as I had opted out of housekeeping at Pop and had a $20 gift card to use.

Perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts