Josh D’Amaro named head of Parks and Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most of us are WDW focused, but I'm curious how the DL people are going to feel about Potrock. Many DVC people have very mixed feelings about him, this could be interesting.
To be frank, I don't know that it will make much of a difference. I haven't personally felt the impact of any particular leadership at Disneyland - I haven't felt that it's been different in recent years between D'Amaro and Campbell, but I've had issues with how Disneyland has been run between both of them. Refurbishments are few and far between, and I feel like many attractions and the parks as a whole have suffered for it. Also, the cast members - cost of living is significantly higher out here than Florida, and I believe cast members receive about the same pay - and it seems like most cast members at DLR see it as just a job, not a fun opportunity (as with so many DCP students in WDW) and customer service suffers a bit as well when compared to WDW.

Overall, though, the entire resort has never really been more successful. So perhaps they're just doing a lot of things that I don't see but others really care about.

To be frank, I don't know that it will make much of a difference. I haven't personally felt the impact of any particular leadership at Disneyland - I haven't felt that it's been different in recent years between D'Amaro and Campbell, but I've had issues with how Disneyland has been run between both of them. Refurbishments are few and far between, and I feel like many attractions and the parks as a whole have suffered for it. Also, the cast members - cost of living is significantly higher out here than Florida, and I believe cast members receive about the same pay - and it seems like most cast members at DLR see it as just a job, not a fun opportunity (as with so many DCP students in WDW) and customer service suffers a bit as well when compared to WDW.

Overall, though, the entire resort has never really been more successful. So perhaps they're just doing a lot of things that I don't see but others really care about.
Well I think neither were at DL long enough to make a huge impact for the guest to see. I know Josh has always been focused on making CM's feel more appreciated or improving their work experience. I am sure he can't say I want to pay all CM's X as that would be up to the finance/accounting departments. He did start initiatives to improve backstage areas for cast at WDW. I am not sure if the same was done at DL though.

Disneyland is also different in that its more of a regional park. Yes people fly out and have vacations there but not like they do at WDW. Many people will work part time at DL or have a summer job there and stuff like that. So I can see why it may seem its just another job there.

I find it interesting what you say about refurbs though. DL is typically more open to refurbs especially long ones. They were in the midst of one for Snow White. Haunted Mansion as well. For the 60th they had a mountain of refurbs to clean things up and improve. WDW is the resort that lacks on the refurb front I think.

I find it interesting what you say about refurbs though. DL is typically more open to refurbs especially long ones. They were in the midst of one for Snow White. Haunted Mansion as well. For the 60th they had a mountain of refurbs to clean things up and improve. WDW is the resort that lacks on the refurb front I think.
DL certainly does have fewer issues closing attractions long-term for refurbishment, but I think they do them far less frequently. Snow White is less a refurbishment and more an update or change to the attraction. No one really knows what they're working on for Haunted Mansion, but that has definitely been extensive. I think the issue might be that they did a ton for the 60th, and then operated basically everything for extended park hours for many years in a row afterward and they haven't really been tended to since.

The bigger issues are some of the E-tickets - Space Mountain nowadays is terribly squeaky to the point that it's audible over the ride audio and the launch tunnel lights only work partially or not at all; much of Splash Mountain's animatronics and lighting have been laughably non-functional for about 4 years; the effects on Indiana Jones rarely work properly, the ride audio often cuts out, and its biggest scene (the boulder) usually has some issue; the lift mechanisms for Soarin' do not move smoothly at all and have begun squeaking, etc. Not to mention the chipped paint on fences, walls and attractions nearly throughout the resort.

I do understand that the park is 60+ years old and many of its attractions are several decades old as well, but a lot of it seems like bad show to me. I still love the place, of course. Maybe it's just because I go frequently enough that I've started to notice these things, and haven't picked them up at WDW as I usually only go 1-2 times per year.

He's such a class act. Here's the letter for WDW CM

Message from Josh: Thank you.
Tuesday, May 19, 2020

As you may have heard, I am taking on a new role as Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. I am truly honored and humbled to step into this position but will miss being part of the Walt Disney World family. While my time as president of Walt Disney World has been relatively short, I have loved each and every day. You have all shown me what the Walt Disney World team is made of—a combination of heart, creative spirit, and get-it-done grit. That’s the kind of team anyone would want to be a part of!
Of course, I’m thankful I will have the opportunity to still be a part of this incredible team. And, I’m also thankful our Resort will be in such good hands with Jeff Vahle, the new president of Walt Disney World Resort. Jeff has been with the company for over 30 years. He is incredibly smart, experienced and, most importantly, cares deeply about our heritage and our Cast. We are lucky to have him leading this special place.
Like many Disney Cast Members, I have had wonderful experiences while working for Disney, and some of my favorites have been during my most recent time here at Walt Disney World. I had the privilege of working with the team to open Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, bringing Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway to life alongside so many incredible Cast and Imagineers, and even planning for the opening of Disney Springs this week. But the memories that will always bring some of the biggest smiles to my face are the moments spent with you—our Cast.
As I was writing you all a note a few weeks ago, I looked down at my name tag as it was resting on my desk at home. I tore off a piece of blue masking tape, wrote “brave” on it, and stuck it over my name. I knew that our worlds were being turned upside down and we would all need to be brave.
And then, many of you started doing the same. I saw blue tape with words like “strong,” “caring,” “optimistic,” and “love.” But these were not just words – you all came together with a strength and spirit the likes of which I had never seen before. You embodied everything that set us apart from the rest of the world. You showed what it means to be a Disney Cast Member.
Soon, as we welcome our Guests back, we’ll be taking the blue tape off of our name tags and get back to doing what we all love to do. But today, I have two final words that I will wear proudly on my name tag…“Thank You.”
Thank You
for all that you do.
Thank You for being the true source of Disney magic.
And, most importantly, Thank You for letting me be part of this special family.
I will be coming back to Walt Disney World to see all of you as often as I can. In the meantime, please take care of yourselves.

And here's the letter from Jeff Vahle

Honored to return to WDW
Tuesday, May 19, 2020

As I begin my new role at Walt Disney World, I wanted to check in with you to let you know how honored I am to be on your team. I’ve spent some of my best years making magic alongside so many incredible Cast Members here, and I am excited to be back.

For nearly 30 years, I’ve had the privilege of working alongside Disney Cast Members, Crew and Imagineers from around the world. While my Disney career has provided me the opportunity to lead many teams and businesses and travel to every one of our destinations, Walt Disney World has always been a constant in my life. It’s what I consider home.
It means a great deal to me to take on my new role as president of this very special place during a challenging time in our history, and I know that we will get through this together. I want to thank Josh D’Amaro for his amazing leadership, and I am thrilled for him as he moves on to be our Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
As we prepare for the reopening of Disney Springs tomorrow, I am heartened by these first steps toward bringing the magic back. I look forward to this milestone and many more with all of you as we reopen our experiences across property as soon as we’re able to do so.
I am optimistic and confident we have a bright future ahead of us. Even as we endure this challenging time, I know we have an incredible team at Walt Disney World, and we will work together to continue to take the right steps toward the future.
In the coming weeks, I will be finding every opportunity to have conversations with the people who keep our site moving around the clock. No matter where you work in our organization, your ideas and point of view have great value. You are the heart, the soul and the essence of this special place.
Many of you may know me already; I’ve been a Disney Cast Member for nearly three decades. I look forward to seeing many familiar faces again and meeting so many new ones as I begin the transition to once again work at Walt Disney World Resort.

And then there are the demands of the ultimate boss(es) …. The stockholders

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!