John Lasseter head of Skydance animation

Gunn told some off-color jokes which Disney was well aware of for years before some alt-righters brought them back up as a gotcha. And they got him indeed. But they were obviously jokes, even if they were inappropriate or offensive to some. I for one don't care what somebody's tweeting if they are making awesome movies like GoTG.

I don't see how you can say Gunn "got what he deserved" but then defend Lasseter's behavior in this day and age. Both firings were knee-jerk overreactions IMO, and I'm glad both talented guys are getting opportunities elsewhere.

The man told “jokes” about how he was a pedophile, is friends with multiple convicted pedophiles, and attended pedophile themed parties. Disney simply could not afford for their brand to be associated with him. Lasseter hugged some people.

The man told “jokes” about how he was a pedophile, is friends with multiple convicted pedophiles, and attended pedophile themed parties. Disney simply could not afford for their brand to be associated with him.

Disney knew about those deleted tweets (whose content your post exaggerates, seriously read this post if you believe all that) through the production and release of both GoTG movies. They were okay with it, until they weren't.

Lasseter hugged some people.

I'm not sure why you don't reserve the same level of skepticism for Lasseter as you do for Gunn, but okay, sure.

Yet somehow their star of Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2, Sarah Silverman has told very offensive and edgy jokes and is a big star for Disney right now, no backlash whatsoever

Last time I checked she hasn't told jokes about forcing little boys to do inappropriate things. Sure she takes it to the line, but Gunn crossed over it ages ago.

Last time I checked she hasn't told jokes about forcing little boys to do inappropriate things. Sure she takes it to the line, but Gunn crossed over it ages ago.
Check again - she definitely has joked about that exact thing, in old tweets that also resurfaced in the past year.

Check again - she definitely has joked about that exact thing, in old tweets that also resurfaced in the past year.

If that's the case then both her and Gunn can go. I don't care what their jobs are, no one should say anything about taking advantage of children.

I have to imagine it was a little more than hugging...

Simply speculation. The way I see it is Disney just needed to put out the PR fire at the height of the me too movement. If it were any worse he would have simply been fired on the spot, like James Gunn for instance.

Edit: changed some wording

Simply speculation. The way I see it is Disney just needed to put out the PR fire at the height of the me too movement. If it were any worse he would have simply been fired on the spot, like James Gunn for instance.

Edit: changed some wording
I understand however John is a little higher up than James Gunn. I’m not saying he did crazy serious things but I think it was definitely more than hugging.

I understand however John is a little higher up than James Gunn. I’m not saying he did crazy serious things but I think it was definitely more than hugging.

Good point. To be fair I’m doing nothing more than speculating as well :)

Interesting. Paramount is a huge partner of Skydance, so this could create some problems. I think it also indicates that the problems were real, and beyond unwanted hugging.

http://variety.com/2019/film/news/p...t-have-to-work-with-john-lasseter-1203108134/

How does it show that it was beyond unwanted hugs?

It sounds like the article talks mostly about the signing and whether the females will be comfortable in their workplace. Hey some people don't like hugging their bosses.

It sounds like the article talks mostly about the signing and whether the females will be comfortable in their workplace. Hey some people don't like hugging their bosses.

It doesn't show anything regarding hugging. It shows that a woman who worked under Lasseter, who now has her own employees to take care of that may come in contact with Lasseter, won't require them to work with him. Which indicates that she has a problem with her former boss now being in contact with her current employees. It is, of course, proof of nothing. Though the line at the bottom of the article is particularly interesting. "Lasseter was repentant for his past misdoings, a person present at the meeting told Variety, and pledged to change course in his new role."

You don't usually repent for things you haven't done, or pledge to change course if your previous course was a good one. Indicative of some larger past problems to me, though your opinion may differ.

So what I've gathered from you is that you don't have any issue with a boss touching their female employees.
I mean it's "just" a hug so they should just deal with having some man's hands on their body when they don't want them there.
That sure is a pretty disturbing thought process. Where is it you work, might want to let the ladies here know.

So what I've gathered from you is that you don't have any issue with a boss touching their female employees.
I mean it's "just" a hug so they should just deal with having some man's hands on their body when they don't want them there.
That sure is a pretty disturbing thought process. Where is it you work, might want to let the ladies here know.

I have no problem with a human hugging a human. If a person doesn't want to be hugged then they should just say it. It doesn't matter if they are a man or a woman. If they have the ability to speak or sign language they should be upfront with someone.

I know what you're going to say... "but their job is on the line". Well the topic isn't that important if they're not willing to lose their job for it.

Well the topic isn't that important if they're not willing to lose their job for it.

It's not just a job anymore - you aren't talking about a common industry where you can just go down the street and start over again. Health insurance for them and their families, pension/401K options, years spent building seniority perhaps classes they are on the schedule for. It is always best to get the next job while you still have a job lest you have to answer the question of why you have been out of work for so long. There are many, meany reasons to not *just* want to lose a job.

Amen.

Just don't touch others beyond a handshake ever without their consent. Seems pretty simply. The 3 year old knows if the 4 year old says she doesn't want snuggles on a particular night, he needs to go to his own bedroom. If a 3 year old can figure it out, grown people should be able to too. A hug is never, EVER appropriate in a professional environment.

Well, this is no longer Disney's problem, so I won't worry about it. Of course, I would laugh my butt off if he's landed in jail for 100 years.

You can definitely tell when a person has never had to deal with something inappropriate or unwanted in a professional setting and being uncomfortable about how best to handle the situation. Lucky them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter