John & Kevin - tell us about your Adventures

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
John & Kevin - we love your stories on the DIS Roundtables.
You guys are the best in telling everyone about your adventures, recommendations and advice.

Have fun on all your future Disney Adventures :thumbsup2

It would take pages and pages to write all about our Adventure - needless to say it was awesome!!!

As Kevin mentioned we have pictures from our trip as well as our full podcast here up on the DIS http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/#abd

In addition I have turned over 6+ hours of video to Pete to start processing and put up on the site. Now, I have to admit I am terrible at taking video. We have much better people here on the DIS for that but since none of them went to Italy with us :rolleyes1 the burden fell on me. I have no idea how much of the video Pete will be able to use but hopefully he will get some up soon.

I know these Adventures by Disney vacations are expensive, but I really believe they are worth it. There is no way you could do and see all we did in the time we had without Disney 'pulling some strings'. In talking to some people who did some European destinations on thier own they waited hours to get into places we waited minutes, and by the time they got in they were so tired and hot and aggravated from waiting they couldn't enjoy what they came to see.

If you have a chance to do one of these they truly are a trip of a lifetime.

John

I am extremenly interested in one of teh Italy trips. I have a couple of questions for those who have been there:

1. The itinerary some days seems quite busy. Did you return home exhausted? or did they allow you enough down time to recharge i.e nap,swim, sit and have a coffee or gelato and take in teh scenery?

2. How did the kids do on your tour? Were they having fun? I have a 7 and a 9 year old.

3. Can you extend your stay a day or two before or after, and do you arrange this throu ABD or independently?

Thanks so much.

Hi Awatt,

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

The Italy adventure we took was Viva Italia. It was the only Italy trip offered in 2006. The other two Italy trips (Tuscany and Amalfi coast) are scheduled for next year, so we wont find anyone with any first hand knowledge until they actually start.

The Viva Italia trip was very strenuous. The days are very busy and begin early. There is so much to see and do in each location that in order to get to some of it...you need to keep moving. I understand thatABD has listened to client feedback and scheduled a slower day in the middle of the trip to relax and enjoy being in Tuscany.

There were only two kids (11 and 9) on our Adventure and they seemed to love it. The Adventure guides did an amazing job of keeping them interested and involved. There are special activities scheduled for kids. An example would be a gelato tasting while the adults had a wine tasting. There was also a special multi-day mystery that they tried to solve after getting clues.

I believe that you can add a pre-day and a post day through ABD for the Viva Italia and Rome/Amafi trips, but just a pre-day on the Tuscany trip. I also understand that availability for these additional days through ABD are very limited.

If there is any way I can help or answer any questions for you, please feel free to contact me at ABD@wdwinfo.com.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, that's just what I wanted to know. Should I book this, I'm calling you! But i may have to wait until 2008. Struggling to see how we can fit this in in 2007.

Hi Kevin,

I have tried and tried to get the podcast but I think I'm doing it wrong...anyways..it's okay, at least I got to hear about your trip personally! You made my mom and I so excited. Tonight I'm watching "Life is Beautiful" and I'm getting my fill of Italy. What a wonderful movie. Anyways...tell me about the meals you had with Adventures with Disney. Were they awesome? WHat kind of foods??? Let me know when you have time. Gotta go watch Desperate Housewives anyways...he he...good night fellow travellers!

AWATT,

I just booked with Kevin and he was just great to deal with. We are going to Italy on Sept 30, 2007. He made everything simple and has lots of knowledge of Disney!

I am so excited! :cool1:

Welcome to the forum Ronny1 ... Nice to see another Canadian doing ABD. I'm doing the London/Paris trip end of June. Hope you have a great time. Kevin's trip report sounded great.

Thank you for the nice welcome, MJ. My best friend just moved to Ontario. He moved to Ottawa. He's working at RCMP headquarters. He is very happy in Ottawa. One day I will go visit him there. I've been all over the US but never past Alberta in Canada. My husband and I would love to see the East Coast. Especially Nova Scotia, but Italy comes first!

Ottawa is beautiful.. I live about 7 hour drive southwest of Ottawa. I've never been to Nova Scotia but have been to PEI ... Beautiful. I spent two weeks in BC (Vancouver and Victoria) in the eighties and loved it. I can't wait to see London and Paris. We are also doing the Med cruise. I'm just glad our dollar is doing well. This will be our dream trip so I can't wait. Only have to visit Greece and my life will be complete! :sunny:

I told my mom that they were talking about doing a Disney tour to Greece next year. She was so excited. So, we'll see how we do on this one to Italy and then maybe next year Greece. That would be great. I would love to go to Greece too. Did you see that movie "Shirley Valentine"? That made me want to go to Greece. :love:

I saw Shirley Valentine when it first came out, but don't remember it much. I've wanted to see Greece since Ancient History in High School, and that in itself is ancient history :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Ronny1 .. I sent you a private message with some Canadian Goodwill tips someone at work gave me ... I hope you find it useful!

It's an awesome idea, MJ. I wish you were coming to Italy! That would have been great...and I'm sure it's not "ancient history"...ha..ha..

Hi everyone,

It looks like most of you have had a great time using ABD. I am a DVC member and I get stuff from them all the time. My question is: how successful has this program been for Disney? I noticed that the have dropped some destinations. And, knowing Disney, they are not afraid to cancel a program if it is not well received. Any thoughts?.....

Hi Dwelty,

2006 is the first yrear that ABD has offered trips. There were some test offerings in 2005, but most of the people taking those trips were invited.

2006 saw a handful of Adventures and 2007 has 12 Adventures. Who knows what will happen in 2008.

This is a new product for Disney and as such, will go through a growing phase just as Disney Cruise Line did when it first launched in 1998. DCL is offering a much different product now than it did back then.

As for ABD, the 2007 Adventures that are repeated from 2006 have some small changes and I am sure that we will see more "tweaking" as time goes on. I also am guessing that we will see itineraries come and go. ABD is not offering the Hawaii trips that they have in the past, but have added some exciting desitinations for next year.

As for the success of this product...well time will tell. I'm seeing that the early booking discount for several of these Adventures is quickly disappearing which tells me that people are booking.

I think this is a fantastic opportunity for folks to visit places that they might not venture to on their own. Disney has a proven track record and people trust their name and products. There is a lot to be said for going with the tried and true.

I do not work for the Disney company, but I have been on one of these Adventures and have booked a second for next year. I'm a fan of this product and enjoy sharing my experience.

Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!