Job switch - insurance related Update & question (post #11)

Boardwalk Jedi

DIS Veteran
Hello, I'll be switching jobs soon and will be without insurance for a month. Currently I carry the insurance for me, hubby and our four kids. Since I'm not in my twenties and without responsibilities anymore, I can't bubble wrap myself and pray for good safety vibes during that month. While DH is looking into his own workplace's plan, we doubt it's possible given they have specific enrollment periods. I can purchase the COBRA plan from my current place, but it's A LOT of money. I've put in a few calls to some companies about short term health plans (not full plan, but something in case of disaster)., In the meantime I thought I'd post here for anyone else's experiences or knowledge. Thx!

You have 60 days to elect to take COBRA. If I were you I would not get it right now. If something does happen in the month that you don't have insurance then you can get the COBRA coverage as long as it is within the 60 days.

"If you enroll in COBRA before the 60 days are up, your coverage is then retroactive, as long as you pay the retroactive premiums. This means that if you incur medical bills during your "election period," you can retroactively — and legally — elect COBRA and have those bills covered."

While DH is looking into his own workplace's plan, we doubt it's possible given they have specific enrollment periods.

Since you carried the family medical insurance and you are changing jobs resulting in a lapse in coverage, that becomes a "qualifying life event" for your husband to enroll the family through his employer outside of open enrollment. Just be aware, though, that most likely any deductible will need to be met as there is not "pro-rating" of the deductible even if the plan starts mid-term (or later).

And to answer your direct question -- yes, you can pick-up COBRA for the family through your present employer. Be prepared for sticker-shock. I have also heard the suggestion PP made above about the 60-day period but no experience with that.

Good luck with the new job!

You have 60 days to elect to take COBRA. If I were you I would not get it right now. If something does happen in the month that you don't have insurance then you can get the COBRA coverage as long as it is within the 60 days.

"If you enroll in COBRA before the 60 days are up, your coverage is then retroactive, as long as you pay the retroactive premiums. This means that if you incur medical bills during your "election period," you can retroactively — and legally — elect COBRA and have those bills covered."

Oh wow, I did not know that. Is there anything I need to do to notify current employer that I'll be keeping that option open?

I dont think so. Everything should be in the cobra paperwork the insurance company will send you.

Since changing jobs is a qualifying event, you should be able to enroll in your dh’s plan. He should ask his hr dept how that works.

I would not pay for the COBRA coverage right now. You can elect to take it if you need it within the 60 days. It is nice to know you can take it retroactively!

A few years back my brother only worked full time seasonally and only got insurance part of the year. He was in a ATV accident two days before his last day to take Cobra. My dad was the insurance administrator my brother's place of work. He hurried up and got the paperwork together and FedExd it overnight. Yup it was a big payment to take on the Cobra, but less than the cost of a 40 mile ambulance trip!

Update and question: Hi Everyone, hubby and I were going to do all that you suggested. We were planning on going without the insurance and only paying COBRA if something came up. Guess what happened? DD17 tore her ACL in a basketball game a few weeks ago and her surgery will be before my new insurance kicks in. My last day of work was last week. I intended on paying COBRA as soon as my (now) previous workplace sends the general paperwork they send everyone who leaves. I just want to make sure we can still go ahead with a planned surgery as long as I pay the premium. Anyone who knows, please let me know!

I know some of you probably think I'm crazy for just not waiting a few weeks, but DD is a very active high school junior heavily involved in sports, theater and academic clubs. Plus she's looking at colleges this year. We really want to get moving on this surgery and get her back on track. Thanks everyone!

1. Didn't your old employer provide you the COBRA paperwork before you left?
2. Wouldn't you have to verify that the surgeon accepts the insurance?

1. Didn't your old employer provide you the COBRA paperwork before you left?
2. Wouldn't you have to verify that the surgeon accepts the insurance?

1. She said they send something in the mail after any employee's last day. Mine was just last week, so technically this pay period.
2. That's taken care of already

Update and question: Hi Everyone, hubby and I were going to do all that you suggested. We were planning on going without the insurance and only paying COBRA if something came up. Guess what happened? DD17 tore her ACL in a basketball game a few weeks ago and her surgery will be before my new insurance kicks in. My last day of work was last week. I intended on paying COBRA as soon as my (now) previous workplace sends the general paperwork they send everyone who leaves. I just want to make sure we can still go ahead with a planned surgery as long as I pay the premium. Anyone who knows, please let me know!

I know some of you probably think I'm crazy for just not waiting a few weeks, but DD is a very active high school junior heavily involved in sports, theater and academic clubs. Plus she's looking at colleges this year. We really want to get moving on this surgery and get her back on track. Thanks everyone!
Dang. That stinks. I wonder if you could see how much a marketplace plan would cost to just cover your daughter. May be cheaper than doing Cobra.

1. She said they send something in the mail after any employee's last day. Mine was just last week, so technically this pay period.
2. That's taken care of already

is the surgery this month? if so, if your last day in pay status was 1/1 or later are you sure you don't have coverage until the end of this month? i ask b/c insurance coverage tends to go calendar month to calendar month so 'eligible on the 1st, eligible all month' and most employers base eligibility on being in pay status so if you were in pay status on the 1st or later....your dd's surgeon's office could likely find out if you've got coverage and if it's got a pending termination date.

you don't by chance have any kind of insurance coverage through the school for athletic injuries do you? unless the school had you provide proof of health insurance when your dd started this season you might want to check b/c it's pretty standard now for school sports team members to either have to purchase through the school a sports policy or provide proof of private if the school's policy doesn't cover them. that's another thing to consider-she may be ineligible to play unless she's got insurance so you might want to check on that as well.

You have the right under COBRA to only enroll your daughter so then it would be just the single premium instead of the whole family.

you don't by chance have any kind of insurance coverage through the school for athletic injuries do you? unless the school had you provide proof of health insurance when your dd started this season you might want to check b/c it's pretty standard now for school sports team members to either have to purchase through the school a sports policy or provide proof of private if the school's policy doesn't cover them. that's another thing to consider-she may be ineligible to play unless she's got insurance so you might want to check on that as well.
This is a good question. We've had kids injured at school (gym class and sports teams) and the school has paid for doctor visits.

I also wonder if since the injury happened while you were eligible for insurance coverage, if insurance still picks up the cost even after the insurance drops. I would call your insurance company to ask that question. The worst they can say is "no".

Did the initial injury occur while you were still employed and covered by the old insurance? If so, the old coverage may need to cover her surgery. I’d be upfront with the surgeon or any docors involved with her care. They have seen almost any situation with insurance and may have some advice.

Good luck with her surgery and recovery!

is the surgery this month? if so, if your last day in pay status was 1/1 or later are you sure you don't have coverage until the end of this month? i ask b/c insurance coverage tends to go calendar month to calendar month so 'eligible on the 1st, eligible all month' and most employers base eligibility on being in pay status so if you were in pay status on the 1st or later....your dd's surgeon's office could likely find out if you've got coverage and if it's got a pending termination date.

My last day was 1/4. The woman in HR told me that our insurance gets stopped the day we end our employment. Injury happened at a travel game that wasn't school related. She went a month thinking it was hyperextension only to find out it wasn't. School assumed it was there too since I let them know recently and talked to me about paperwork. Damn my honest mouth!

You have the right under COBRA to only enroll your daughter so then it would be just the single premium instead of the whole family.

I could have sworn HR said that only I could be eligible for single premium. I'd have to buy family coverage for just DD.

This is a good question. We've had kids injured at school (gym class and sports teams) and the school has paid for doctor visits.

I also wonder if since the injury happened while you were eligible for insurance coverage, if insurance still picks up the cost even after the insurance drops. I would call your insurance company to ask that question. The worst they can say is "no".

Yes, I was still covered and she's been doing PT and regular doctor's visits on it since then.

Did the initial injury occur while you were still employed and covered by the old insurance? If so, the old coverage may need to cover her surgery. I’d be upfront with the surgeon or any docors involved with her care. They have seen almost any situation with insurance and may have some advice.

Good luck with her surgery and recovery!

Yes, it did. And my new coverage doesn't start until next month, so it would be this coverage. I've told the surgeon and his staff and they are pretty chill with everything.

It is possible in the past few years something changed, but I spent 10+ years as a COBRA administrator. The DOL rules that govern COBRA state that each person who qualifies for COBRA has the right to enroll without the other family members. If you need to go that route, I would press the issue before signing up for family coverage. It’s possible HR isn’t aware of that requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!