JoAnn's return policy

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
I do NOT like JoAnn's return/exchange policy. My mom bought me a sizzlits alphabet and I didn't really care for it (script), so I took it to JoAnn's to exchange it. I don't have a receipt (it's a gift, my mom NEVER give receipts, b/c it's "rude" to return gifts :confused3 ) All I wanted to do was to trade it for another sizzlit alphabet (even exchange), but w/o a receipt they will only give you HALF of the CHEAPEST price it's been as a credit. So, they were going to give me $37.50 towards the purchase of a new alphabet. That just really ticks me off. I can understand giving a credit for the cheapest it's been sold, but half of THAT??? and it was an even exchange, unopened, resellable...what's up with that?

I wound up selling it on eBay and using the proceeds to buy the one I really wanted (on eBay). Joann's will get my business with 50% coupons online from now on, but that's it.

Although I understand, and even teach, the theory being used by JoAnnes there is the risk of alienating long term customers.

A phenomenon that is growing widely in the world of retail is the concept of "retail borrowing". People will go in and purchase something NEVER intending to keep it, but rather only to use it for a short term purpose. Originally this tended to happen with expensive, limited use items such as formal gowns. So retailers put policies in place on items of that sort prohibiting return if tags were removed, etc. This didn't stop the practice. People actually became VERY good at removing & reattaching tags, opening packages so it didn't appear they were opened, etc.

It has become incredibly expensive to retailers. They accept something back in good faith and find out it isn't resaleable as thought. This is the biggest reason so many retailers have gone to very tight return policies. More and more are even limiting how long you have to return WITH a receipt for instance. This summer one of our biggest retailers in the area announced that without a receipt they basically wouldn't accept anything back. With a receipt it is a 30 day max. ALthough it is expected there will be exceptions for Christmas. The need for a receipt is the reason more and more retailers are issuing "gift" receipts. The bar code tells the computer when and at what price the gift was purchased and therefore whether first it is eligible for return and second at what value.

Ok, that is the rationale and the theory. I present it so we can (theoretically) look at this situation and others like it objectively. Having said that I am of the opinion that unless you can clearly establish individual customers are returning stolen merchandise (in which case you deal with the exception) it is better to accept the return and build customer good will than risk the situation graygables has decided to pursue. And good for you! This is the ONLY way retailers are going to get the message that these policies are doing more harm than good.

No matter WHAT the return policy it should be clearly posted so regular customers know what it is. I have actually asked relatives NOT to make gift purchases for me, hubby, kids at certain retailers because their return policies make it so difficult to exchange. For instance, grandparents buying music for my teenagers - just a bad idea overall, but at FYE even with a receipt they can't exchange it unless it is defective!

And folks, I have to say this - having been on the "other side" of the counter. Keep in mind that when a sales associate is telling you what he or she can or can't do, most of the time they have very little control over the situation. They either follow the policy established or risk losing a job. If you don't like the policy write a letter to corporate and tell them that you going to............

Well at least graygables ended up with an alphabet she likes!

(Donning my fire suit now)
Deb

To some extent I guess I can understand the policy. If their policy for pricing "as is" items is always 50% of lowest sale price. However, I've often seen things at JoAnns in the clearance aisle that are marked "as is" at 60% off.

I'm sorry that happened to you! And it's too bad they've lost your other business. You have to wonder how long it can last with eBay out there.

The only even exchange I've made at JoAnns was for their JoAnns Essentials alphabet punch set. I no longer had the receipt. I'd purchased it at 50% off during their grand opening in March or April, but never got around to using it until late June. Several of the punches didn't work correctly & one was actually bent & didn't work at all. I took it back & explained the situation. I was actually shocked when they simply took it back & gave me a whole new set!

Is this a local policy? Or maybe a new one? Around here I'm not sure they'd continue it for too long since ACM & Mikes don't ask questions - they just do the even exchange or give store credit w/o a receipt. I know because I've done it more often than I should have! :blush:

Deb, no flames from me! Having owned a gift shop with my family and working retail for years, I do understand the need for a good return policy. Our shop's policy was NO returns, exchange only and it was clearly indicated. My issue is that #1, JoAnn's policy was NOT clear (so it wasted my time) and #2, the way things are packaged these days, there is NO WAY to open a sizzlits alphabet without destroying the packaging, so they could see it was brand new. I don't get ugly with employees, I know they are just the messenger, but it just shocked the heck out of me...I had no idea they were so bad. I have fired off a letter, but haven't gotten a response yet. I was all excited that we are getting a new Joann superstore, too :( I'll just stick with Hobby Lobby from now on!

This is from the back of a JoAnn's receipt that I received on8/30/05:

Returns without a receipt

Refunds or exchanges will ge given at the item's lowest promotional price within the last 30 days, in the form of an in-store gift card or mail check.

It may be necessary to ask for positive identification during any transaction, and we reserve the right to limit or decline refunds.

So, it sound like you should have been give the lowest promotional price, which is usually 40% or 50% off, not half of the lowest price. Also, I don't know why you were not allowed to do an even exchange. Sometimes stores have this policy for clearance or seasonal items, but usually not for items that are carried.

Did you speak to the store manager or assistant manager while you were in the store? I know they have the return policy posted at the registers at the store I go to, so I would have asked for the store manager to explain why it was not followed. A clerk is only doing as they were told or trained.

Have you considered taking your receipt and going back into the store and talking with the store manager and explaining the situation? Also, work on your mom to give you receipts (I know, I know--my mil was the same way)!

How frustrating... They definitely should have given you an even exchange. That just doesn't make sense.

Once I was purchasing a Department 56 Village item from a store that was clearancing them. The policy clearly stated no refunds or exchanges. Which I understood. So, I asked the sales rep if the item is defective can I return the item. And, she said no because they didn't like Dept 56 return policy and no longer wanted to do business with them that's why the item was on clearance. So, I told her that she had to open the package to make sure the actual village worked. Oh boy, was she pissed at me. I was still paying $80 for the item which was clearanced to 50% off from $160 but still. I had a right to know if the item worked before I bought it.

I think, in general people have been screwed so many times that nobody trusts nobody. Which is kinda sad if you think about it!

Tina

Graygables - I feel your pain. Dishonest "customers" make life more difficult for honest people all the time.

Stores can make whatever policy they want. If I don't like their policy, I won't shop there. Best Buy lost thousands of potential $$ from me (we moved = new appliances, new electronics gizmos for DH and from our church's prison ministry at Christmas - I used to buy tons of gift cards from them) because of their return/exhange policy on a $10 item. My husband thought I was kidding when I said BB was banned and that he was prohibited from shopping there. When I started tossing out the BB ad when it arrived w/the paper he quickly learned I was serious ;) I do not shop at Burlington Coat Factory either b/c of their strict policy. Target is starting to get on my nerves with some of their policies (price matching more so than returns) but not at a critical level yet. I guess I'll be in big trouble if they get on my list, but I refuse to spend $$ at a store that enforces ridiculously stringent, or unfair rules on buying and returning.

I will shop at Hecht's (until it actually becomes a Macy's at our mall), Nordstroms, and Kohls because they have customer friendly return policies. I keep my receipts and I keep things in packages, w/tags, etc. DD doesn't like to try things on w/tags and it's a battle, but the tags don't come off until I know the clothing fits and she'll really wear it. I don't return used items. That's stealing IMHO.

Perhaps more retailers should take a note from Nordstroms. They have a liberal return policy, but an amazing security department. Keeps the honest cusotmers happy and takes care, in large part, of the dishonest people out there.

ksjayhawks said:
This is from the back of a JoAnn's receipt that I received on8/30/05:

Returns without a receipt

Refunds or exchanges will ge given at the item's lowest promotional price within the last 30 days, in the form of an in-store gift card or mail check.

It may be necessary to ask for positive identification during any transaction, and we reserve the right to limit or decline refunds.

So, it sound like you should have been give the lowest promotional price, which is usually 40% or 50% off, not half of the lowest price. Also, I don't know why you were not allowed to do an even exchange. Sometimes stores have this policy for clearance or seasonal items, but usually not for items that are carried.

Did you speak to the store manager or assistant manager while you were in the store? I know they have the return policy posted at the registers at the store I go to, so I would have asked for the store manager to explain why it was not followed. A clerk is only doing as they were told or trained.

Have you considered taking your receipt and going back into the store and talking with the store manager and explaining the situation? Also, work on your mom to give you receipts (I know, I know--my mil was the same way)!
I think she may have gotten 50% of the price because JoAnn's just had their Founder's Day sale August 21-September 3 and there were numerous 50% off one item coupons in the paper...and there were additional 10% off your entire purchase coupons as well. They consider the price, assuming you used a coupon, the lowest "promotional" price because that was the most recent promotion. I've noticed several stores have gone to this concept....assuming you used a coupon when you attempt to do a return without a receipt.

As a former assistant store manager, I can tell you we dealt with fraud on a nearly daily basis. These rules were put in place to try to stop the bad guys, and unfortunately some good guys get incovenienced, too. Our store had a popular coupon event several times a year, and returns without receipts always SKYROCKETED in the weeks following. Folks would come in, get a $36 item for $18, then try to return it for $36 cash or credit the following week. :( I will say my store probably would have exchanged the OP's item since it was new, same type, same size, same cost, just different design (like exchanging a red shirt for a blue one) but I understand where JoAnn's is coming from. They had to pick somewhere to draw a line and did it.

I always thought the best of people until I started working retail and saw just how many people were defrauding the store, thinking nothing of it. :(

kadaten said:
I think she may have gotten 50% of the price because JoAnn's just had their Founder's Day sale August 21-September 3 and there were numerous 50% off one item coupons in the paper...and there were additional 10% off your entire purchase coupons as well. They consider the price, assuming you used a coupon, the lowest "promotional" price because that was the most recent promotion. I've noticed several stores have gone to this concept....assuming you used a coupon when you attempt to do a return without a receipt. :(

Her original post said she got 50% of the Cheapest Price. So even with founder's day coupons--font would have been about $75 and additional 10% would have made it around $67. She got $37.50 according to her post. That is way below the coupon specials. That is what she was questioning and is not what the receipt says.

I am wondering if the clerk knew the fonts were on sale for 50% off and then applied the 50% off coupon to that price. However, you cannot use the coupons on sale items. That could be the error. I think the op needs to go back in with her return receipt, talk to a manager and see if that is what happened. If the clerk was new, she may not fully understand how the coupons work yet.

Have you seen how Macy's puts a tag on every item and then scans that so it is linked up to the purchase? That would too labor intensive for scrapbooking items for the most part, but I wish there were a similar way to track purchase price for items.

I've been fairly pleased with returns at Home Depot & Target because most of the time, the one receipt I lose is the one I need -- and HD and T both will look up a prior purchase based on the credit card used -- and I generally always use a credit or debit card.

It's too bad it's come to this -- it's easier to retain a customer than to attract a new one -- the stores should work on more customer-friendly policies.

I for one am shocked and disapointed with Joanns...for NOT doing an even exchange for your item...

Like the OP mentioned there is no way to open that product without destroying the packaging. What would be the harm in exchanging it for the one she wanted... I could totally see if she was wanting cash and not a like item...but give me a break...to just want to swap the items...but still be expected to pay 50%+ more for the same thing... :confused3

I don't know that I have ever tryed to return anything at Joanns around here...but I'm not sure they'd would be such sticklers about it they are always so nice and friendly...but maybe that's because I go there ALOT)...but who knows.

I'm getting frustrated with Joanns myself...but for a totally diffrent reason...I special ordered a couple of those scrapbook carts they had in one of their flyers last month.....and I'm still waiting...I was told a couple weeks...but so far it's been close to a month.

As a current Joann emplyee, and former manager, I can tell you that you should have gotten 50% off the regular price. The employee was wrong with the half off the lowest price. If you had asked for the manager on duty, they should have corrected the problem, or you could ask for the District Manager's phone number if the MOD doesn't help you. When you do that, they will bend over backwards, because (at least in my district) it is never a good thing when the DM gets involved. I'm sorry this happened to you.

As far as the scrapbook totes go, they should be arriving in stores soon. They are in the process of sending them all out. We had over 30 orders in our (small) store.

Lynn

Lynn,
the clerk called the manager over when I questioned it and she told me the same thing...50% off the lowest sale price for returns OR exchanges with no receipt. I had a friend who was in a similar situation and she was told the same thing (only hers was not an even exchange). I politely pleaded my case about it being like for like, pretend my mom bought me the right one, etc, but nope, no dice. I walked out with the one my mom gave me and sold it on eBay for $75. Instead of returning to JoAnns to buy the one I wanted, an eBayer got my business instead. Right now I have a Hobby Lobby and another large craft store in my town that hands-down beat JoAnn's pricewise and customer service wise, so they will get my business. I did write a letter to HQ about it, because it was just wrong.

Thanks for the responses!

Let us know what Joann's corporate has to say, because what they did is not what it says on the back of the receipt!

Glad you were able to sell it on ebay and then rebuy! :flower:

Actually Joanns drives me crazy on their returns! There is so much inconsistency between stores it is not funny!! We have two stores about 15 miles apart with different managers. One is super helpful....they would have done an even exchange, because they have for me! DH got me a Sizzix set I already had for my birthday. I took it out to the closest store to do an even exchange for another that I didn't have. The one store would not do an even exchange (the package was unopened too). I even had the manager called up front. Basically the same thing they were only going to give me 50% of what it cost (DH is not good with keeping sales slips so he didn't have it that showed he paid full price). So I left and drove 15 miles to the other store. Talk about simple, this store immediately gave me an even exchange, no hassel whatsoever! I absolutely hate the inconsistency at these stores. On my last trip up to the nice store I ran into the manager and asked him why his store had much better customer service, return policy, etc. He actually took about 10 minutes to talk to me and wanted to hear about my experiences at the different stores. Thanked me for all my feedback and took my name and address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter