Jewelry purchase diamond international

Kelly1973

Earning My Ears
ibjust had my stuff appraised it did not appraise out I swear Disney said they guaranteed anythingvwe bought from their preferred venders. Does anyone know who I should call?

ibjust had my stuff appraised it did not appraise out I swear Disney said they guaranteed anythingvwe bought from their preferred venders. Does anyone know who I should call?

Are you able to contact the rep you dealt with on the ship..? They will be your best shot at finding the right person!

The same thing happened to me. I didn't think to contact DCL about it, so I'm no help, but at least you're not alone in this scam.

Had the same problem, actually the appraisal was 20% lower at one appraisal and 18% lower at another for diamond stud earrings. NO ONE was willing to stand behind that "promise". I reached out for months with finder pointing and promises of assistance. Almost two years later I'm still waiting. I'm sorry, I know it is very frustrating.

I got a phone number for Disney if its within 60 days I left them a message we will see. 888-774-4768
I sent an email to Diamond International and I found a website diamondinternationallawsuit.com so we will see what I can get done.

Good luck to you. I hope you get a resolution. I always said I would never fall for those kind of scams, but I still did. Furthermore (and in hindsight, I'm embarrassed I didn't see the signs), the 'shopper' told me I should just sneak the ring I bought into the country (Canada), rather than claim it and pay taxes. Anyone that would encourage you to commit a crime should never be trusted, but she was just so 'nice'. What a scam. I still like the ring, but I overpaid for sure.

What was the guarantee that Disney made? It sounds like you got authentic stones; they just charged you more than a wholesale appraisal value (which doesn't surprise me). You didn't REALLY think that you were going to be charged less than a piece of jewelry was worth, did you? Plus, an appraisal has a certain level of subjectivity to it. And, an appraisal for insurance/replacement cost is going to be higher than an appraisal for what a jeweler will pay you for it.

I remember listening to the port shopping pitch that was made on the Fantasy. I remember the 2 guys talking up how they recommended only certain stores (which just means that they probably get a commission on the sales), but don't remember them ever making a statement that anything we bought would have the value guaranteed by Disney.

What was the guarantee that Disney made? It sounds like you got authentic stones; they just charged you more than a wholesale appraisal value (which doesn't surprise me). You didn't REALLY think that you were going to be charged less than a piece of jewelry was worth, did you? Plus, an appraisal has a certain level of subjectivity to it. And, an appraisal for insurance/replacement cost is going to be higher than an appraisal for what a jeweler will pay you for it.

I remember listening to the port shopping pitch that was made on the Fantasy. I remember the 2 guys talking up how they recommended only certain stores (which just means that they probably get a commission on the sales), but don't remember them ever making a statement that anything we bought would have the value guaranteed by Disney.
How about an insurance appraisal that's significantly less than the "deal" they said they were giving? We paid one "bargain" price (yes, I know there was still a mark up - they have to make money) in USD and it was appraised for that value in CAD, which was at about 75 cents to the dollar at the time. That's a huge difference and if that's a mark up for insurance appraisal, I really got screwed.

How about an insurance appraisal that's significantly less than the "deal" they said they were giving? We paid one "bargain" price (yes, I know there was still a mark up - they have to make money) in USD and it was appraised for that value in CAD, which was at about 75 cents to the dollar at the time. That's a huge difference and if that's a mark up for insurance appraisal, I really got screwed.
OK, I'm still trying to understand where you think that Disney has any obligation to you. Jewelry "values" are so inflated; you always walk past jewelry stores with 40% off, 50% off, 70% off etc. sales going on to the point that if something is "worth" $400 I'd always expect to see a $1,000 price tag on it.
Did the Disney shopping agent (who I doubt is actually a Disney employee but is instead a company of their own who is paying Disney a fee) promise that your jewelry would appraise at or above what you paid? All I remember is that they promised that the stores that worked with them would offer their lowest prices to people off of the Disney ships and give special deals only to them. All they "promised" was that you would be getting a good deal relative to buying jewelry at that port. Since I'm assuming that jewelry stores that specialize in selling to tourists with enough money to take cruises view us all as potential easy targets with lots of disposable income, maybe your jewelry shop only overcharged you by 33% instead of overcharging you by 66%.
Regardless, what do you have in writing that says Disney owes you the difference between what you paid and what your jewelry assessed at? Don't say that you were verbally told that, because I don't think you heard the sales agent correctly.

OK, I'm still trying to understand where you think that Disney has any obligation to you. Jewelry "values" are so inflated; you always walk past jewelry stores with 40% off, 50% off, 70% off etc. sales going on to the point that if something is "worth" $400 I'd always expect to see a $1,000 price tag on it.
Did the Disney shopping agent (who I doubt is actually a Disney employee but is instead a company of their own who is paying Disney a fee) promise that your jewelry would appraise at or above what you paid? All I remember is that they promised that the stores that worked with them would offer their lowest prices to people off of the Disney ships and give special deals only to them. All they "promised" was that you would be getting a good deal relative to buying jewelry at that port. Since I'm assuming that jewelry stores that specialize in selling to tourists with enough money to take cruises view us all as potential easy targets with lots of disposable income, maybe your jewelry shop only overcharged you by 33% instead of overcharging you by 66%.
Regardless, what do you have in writing that says Disney owes you the difference between what you paid and what your jewelry assessed at? Don't say that you were verbally told that, because I don't think you heard the sales agent correctly.
I'm not the OP.

I am allowed to be annoyed and frustrated and feel duped when the 'shopper' tells you this is a great time to buy because there are no taxes and duties. She was right, but it was playing on the implication of "better deal", which this certainly wasn't.

Anyway, I take full responsibility for my purchase and I like my ring. I just feel like part of what I had expected was not to be pressured and coerced into a purchase. Maybe I did get a deal over someone who doesn't use her name. Or maybe I paid more. But, in hindsight, I didn't like the lies and pressure for a sale, and the encouraging to break the law. I did claim my ring and paid taxes on it, which, after the appraisal was just something else that stung, as I paid taxes on the price I paid, not the value I received.

Yes, I thought the shopper was a Disney employee when I went to her. Only after did I find out she wasn't. I won't make that mistake again and I posted a thread on the subject after my cruise because I thought others, who might not know that, should know. It might have changed my decision. Anyway, as I said, I gripe about the experience, but I still enjoy wearing the ring. I guess that's what counts.

What do I expect out of Disney? To make it clear she's not an employee giving excellent service to the guests. She's a sales person allowed to work on the ship for the companies she pushes. That's it. But now I know and I understand all cruiselines have them, so, what can you do? One thing is for sure, I used to think I'd never fall for those lines and deals. Now I know differently, so I learned something more about the world and myself.

Disney doesn't "owe" anything but I seem to remember that their shopping literature that they hand out on the ship does have some type of pricing guarantee on it as a way of encouraging you to visit their "preferred" vendors. Unfortunately, I'm not at home and can't look for it in my stash of Navigators.

DCL Doesnot Directly guarantee The Value,but They Do state repeatedly in writing that the quality is as stated by the store. I'm my case that we not true. Diamonds were regraded in the US and they came in much lower on the grading. That is the fundimentsl issue for me. The sales rep from the boat met me at DI and confirmed the quality and value. Neither of which was acurate. We call that fraud here in the US. Apparently in Nassau it's just normal business.

DCL Doesnot Directly guarantee The Value,but They Do state repeatedly in writing that the quality is as stated by the store. I'm my case that we not true. Diamonds were regraded in the US and they came in much lower on the grading. That is the fundimentsl issue for me. The sales rep from the boat met me at DI and confirmed the quality and value. Neither of which was acurate. We call that fraud here in the US. Apparently in Nassau it's just normal business.
I agree. When appraised, the diamonds were not the quality the company said they were.

OK, I'm still trying to understand where you think that Disney has any obligation to you.

Because they say they do. I think the shopping talks are amusing so I go to them on Disney and Royal. And they tell you many ones that it’s going to appraise for higher than you pay. And that the quality will be what they say it is.

Here is the Nassau shopping guide, perhaps the info here will help - http://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp-...2/Shopping-Guide-Map-Nassau-November-2017.pdf

And that buyers guarantee thing mentions appraisals...

Are you able to make a return? Did you use a credit card? If so. I would check and see what options you have. Some have guaranteed returns. I would seek fraud charges possibly if they don’t work with you.

When I first started cruising in 2oo4 on DCL, we were told that if our purchases from DI did not appraise for at least what we paid, we’d get our money back as long as the appraisal was done within 30 days of debarkation. That, year my husband bought me a diamond tennis bracelet for $2,650. It was too long for my wrist so the extra was taken off and made into a pendant. State side, the bracelet appraised for $5,000 and the pendant was $600. Pretty good deal.

Fast forward to 2015. In none of the onboard talks nor on any of the literature do they claim to represent you the customer. They simply say this is the store they recommend. Bought a diamond wedding ring for $11,000 and luckily it appraised for the same amount state side. However, my son bought his future wife an engagement that appraised for $1,500 less than what he paid. The course of action that he would have had to go through for a refund was rediculous! It is written in very small print on the back of your receipt. You have to have it appraised by a gemologist that does not sell diamonds. Can’t find one, they’ll give you a list. In other words, very possibly a waste of your time. We will never be buying expensive jewelry there again.

When I first started cruising in 2oo4 on DCL, we were told that if our purchases from DI did not appraise for at least what we paid, we’d get our money back as long as the appraisal was done within 30 days of debarkation. That, year my husband bought me a diamond tennis bracelet for $2,650. It was too long for my wrist so the extra was taken off and made into a pendant. State side, the bracelet appraised for $5,000 and the pendant was $600. Pretty good deal.

Fast forward to 2015. In none of the onboard talks nor on any of the literature do they claim to represent you the customer. They simply say this is the store they recommend. Bought a diamond wedding ring for $11,000 and luckily it appraised for the same amount state side. However, my son bought his future wife an engagement that appraised for $1,500 less than what he paid. The course of action that he would have had to go through for a refund was rediculous! It is written in very small print on the back of your receipt. You have to have it appraised by a gemologist that does not sell diamonds. Can’t find one, they’ll give you a list. In other words, very possibly a waste of your time. We will never be buying expensive jewelry there again.
I’m sorry. On something like this. With that much money. It seems like you failed to do your homework on diamonds. Costco seems to have a good diamond program and I can’t imagine spending that much when you have no guarantee.

Hopefully purchased with a credit card and dispute things and work it out. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts