Jet Skiing on Castaway Cay!

AMusicLifeForMe

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. To start this post off, I have never been jet skiing before, but I have always wanted to. After watching a few DCL vlogs with families that did the jet skiing on Castaway Cay, I’m now considering giving it a try.

What I’m really wanting to know is if it is worth the money for 45 minutes of actual “ride” time. It says it’s $183 per booking (double occupancy), but calling DCL, they said a single would be charged $104.

I am also wondering how safe it is? What is the likelihood I would fall off while riding?

Again, it looks fun, but any info that you can give me would be appreciated. :)

I think how fun they are depends on how adventurous and comfortable you are. I personally think they're a blast and that you would have to work pretty hard to fall off of one. But I have friends who aren't comfortable on them and don't think they're as fun.

Hi everyone. To start this post off, I have never been jet skiing before, but I have always wanted to. After watching a few DCL vlogs with families that did the jet skiing on Castaway Cay, I’m now considering giving it a try.

What I’m really wanting to know is if it is worth the money for 45 minutes of actual “ride” time. It says it’s $183 per booking (double occupancy), but calling DCL, they said a single would be charged $104.

I am also wondering how safe it is? What is the likelihood I would fall off while riding?

I was excited to go on them at first. The reality was, it was TERRIFYING once you had to keep up with the guides who went way too fast, IMO. I bawled throughout the entire thing. For the record, I’ve never reacted that way before to anything. Buyer beware bc you cannot turn around to go back and/or go your own pace. My husband, on the other hand LOVED it.

The jet skis at CC do not tip very easily, so says my husband, an avid jet skier. They are fun if you enjoy adventure and water. It can get a little bumpy on them and you can get a little sore if the water is really rough, however I don't think they offer the tour if the water is rough. When we were there on a double dip this summer they cancelled everything but snorkeling (at your own risk) because the water had a bit of a chop to it. To compare, on Lake Erie where I live you can rent similar skis for about $80/person for a similar amount of time. I'd pay to do it on CC just because the views and location far beat out the views I have here at home.
Enjoy your cruise!!

I was excited to go on them at first. The reality was, it was TERRIFYING once you had to keep up with the guides who went way too fast, IMO. I bawled throughout the entire thing. For the record, I’ve never reacted that way before to anything. Buyer beware bc you cannot turn around to go back and/or go your own pace. My husband, on the other hand LOVED it.

Sounds like my experience on a Segway in Miami. The father and daughter on the tour with me had zero issues. I crashed into a curb before we even started and never recovered any semblance of confidence.

My DS's have done it and they love it. I believe they did tip, but they were fine with it. I don't think it's something I would enjoy, especially after seeing their videos. In fact both time I have said I'm glad I didn't see the video until after the fact or I would have been a nervous wreck. (I am a thrill ride type of person but not something uncontrolled like this)

We tried to get 2 singles this past summer but were told they don't offer the single anymore. I hope from what you were told they have changed that.

My husband did the single rider and absolutely loved it. Not sure how fast they went but he enjoyed it. I'm not a jet ski type person so I didnt bother with it

Depends on a couple of things:
- Have you ever done water sports - skiing and/or are you comfortable in the water? It's unlikely you'll fall off, but if you would be AFRAID to fall off - it's probably not for you. (You have a clip attached to a "kill switch" so if you do fall off the jet ski will immediately go into passive circles so you can get back to it easily).
- Do you like go carts, scooters, horse back riding - things that go fast and can be bumpy. If not - it's probably not for you.
- Are you agile enough so that you would be able to get on and off without assistance (or with a little help from a friend)? If not - it's probably not for you.

Hope this helps.

I did it with my then 9yo: we didn't really like it. I've done waverunning before but this was more like follow the leader and I spent too much time worrying about keeping up (the leader went way too fast).

I wouldn't recommend taking the time to do it.

I think how fun they are depends on how adventurous and comfortable you are. I personally think they're a blast and that you would have to work pretty hard to fall off of one. But I have friends who aren't comfortable on them and don't think they're as fun.
I am an adventurous person. I really like to go zip lining after being scared about that for years. I have since been on an ATV and gone off roading a couple times.

There is just something about jet skiing that worries me slightly, but I'm thinking I'm going to give it a try.
The jet skis at CC do not tip very easily, so says my husband, an avid jet skier. They are fun if you enjoy adventure and water. It can get a little bumpy on them and you can get a little sore if the water is really rough, however I don't think they offer the tour if the water is rough. When we were there on a double dip this summer they cancelled everything but snorkeling (at your own risk) because the water had a bit of a chop to it. To compare, on Lake Erie where I live you can rent similar skis for about $80/person for a similar amount of time. I'd pay to do it on CC just because the views and location far beat out the views I have here at home.
Enjoy your cruise!!
That's really great to hear. This makes it easier for me to make the decision to do it.

Depends on a couple of things:
- Have you ever done water sports - skiing and/or are you comfortable in the water? It's unlikely you'll fall off, but if you would be AFRAID to fall off - it's probably not for you. (You have a clip attached to a "kill switch" so if you do fall off the jet ski will immediately go into passive circles so you can get back to it easily).
- Do you like go carts, scooters, horse back riding - things that go fast and can be bumpy. If not - it's probably not for you.
- Are you agile enough so that you would be able to get on and off without assistance (or with a little help from a friend)? If not - it's probably not for you.

Hope this helps.
I have never done water sports before.

I have done off roading a few times which was fun.

I am agile enough.

I did it with my then 9yo: we didn't really like it. I've done waverunning before but this was more like follow the leader and I spent too much time worrying about keeping up (the leader went way too fast).

I wouldn't recommend taking the time to do it.
Thank you for this. For someone who has never done it before, I think it would be good for me to have someone to follow.

DD and I did it as singles. She was more adventurous and following the guide closely. I was following further behind. On the day we went, the sea was choppy and wavy. It’s a bit intimidating trying to follow closely as others in the doubles were going slowly with kids on-board and passing them was not easy. I tried to keep a safe distance from the others as I passed them. A dad with his son made a sharp turn and went overboard at the beginning of the trip. You have to move your body in synch with the jet ski like riding a motor cycle in order to balance in fast speed. We had a great time! I rode jet ski before as we owned one long time ago. It’s my DD’s first time driving one and she was thrilled. We will try parasailing on our next cruise.

Give it a try! Just be aware of your surroundings and people around you. Have fun planning!

We did it and LOVED it. My husband and I are going again in March with our daughters, spouses, and families, and this is one we are anxious to try again. We have a UTV and ATV here in Wisconsin, so you might find us a bit adventurous.

We did this in June with DH, DD20 and her boyfriend 19, and I rode with DS17. Honestly, we thought it was pretty tame. Glad we did it, but it is definitely a one and done for us, especially considering the cost.

I've done the Single-rider jet ski's twice at Castaway Cay, most recently in October '16. It was a BLAST. When I went looking for it for my upcoming cruise (sailing on the Fantasy 10/20!!!), they had stopped the single-rider option and only offered the dual riders. That doesn't seem worth it to me...

As a single rider or driver, you are pretty secure. The 2nd rider is not as secure and has a risk of falling off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!