Jenem03's Running Journal...or some other more creative title.

Also a busy mama here. I switched to 4 day a week running when I started my @DopeyBadger training plan. The only way I could get it in was to switch to AM runs. I have to be at work (40 minutes away) by 7:30, so adding runs to my morning was a big ask, but it was important to me. I've come to love them, because the weather is normally better (cooler, and our afternoon storms haven't rolled in yet), and because my kid normally sleeps through them so I'm not missing time with her.

My schedule is a lot like @roxymama's, but I run T, Th, F, Sa. @DopeyBadger scheduled me this way to help me achieve "cumulative fatigue," where because my legs aren't fresh for my long run, it simulates starting your long run at a higher mileage (say, 4 miles in) instead of starting from zero. My Tuesday run is usually an easy run, Thursday is hard, Friday is my slowest, and Saturday is long run.
Hmmm it seems like everyone has a @DopeyBadger plan...I'm probably going to need one at some point,right?

Hmmm it seems like everyone has a @DopeyBadger plan...I'm probably going to need one at some point,right?

That's certainly up to you. I write custom plans based on the input people give me. I take your goals, injury history, current fitness, schedule, etc. into consideration when fitting your input into my ideas for training philosophy. I offer it as a free service because I enjoy helping people reach their goals. I'm not a certified or classically trained coach. I'm merely a hobbyist runner who has read a lot of information and combined that with my scientific background to help people make custom training plans.

That's certainly up to you. I write custom plans based on the input people give me. I take your goals, injury history, current fitness, schedule, etc. into consideration when fitting your input into my ideas for training philosophy. I offer it as a free service because I enjoy helping people reach their goals. I'm not a certified or classically trained coach. I'm merely a hobbyist runner who has read a lot of information and combined that with my scientific background to help people make custom training plans.
Wow! Honestly, that is so generous of you and I would appreciate it so much. Right now, I feel a little like I'm floundering as far as what to run when and, being the rule follower that I am, would love a structured plan. If you don't mind, I would very much like your help.

Wow! Honestly, that is so generous of you and I would appreciate it so much. Right now, I feel a little like I'm floundering as far as what to run when and, being the rule follower that I am, would love a structured plan. If you don't mind, I would very much like your help.

Sent you a PM! :D

Phew! This last week just flew by and I unfortunately I didn't get many runs in. We started off with a quick trip to Wisconsin last Saturday for a family reunion. Always a good time but with a 3 hour drive up and a 3 hour drive home, it made for a very long day.

Sunday we decided to take the girls to St. Louis for a quick little trip. We went to the zoo and the weather could not have been more perfect. Usually when we head to the zoo it's sweltering and unbearable. But it was cool and cloudy! Perfect!! The girls had fun but I think they were more excited about the carousel and the train than the actual animals.

We got home on Tuesday and since I hadn't run since the following Friday I figured I better get out there. I ran 3 easy miles but I was definitely feeling the time off/time away from home/crap vacation food. I don't regret any of the delicious ice cream I consumed while we were gone but it certainly didn't help my run at all. Oh well...moving onward.

The rest of the week was spent as a staycation working in our house. (My autocorrect kept wanting to change "staycation" to "starvation". There was none of that going on I can assure you.)

I woke up yesterday to beautiful sunny skies and cool temps so before the day got crazy I ran 2 quick miles. Felt much better yesterday.

I'm super excited because tomorrow I start my @DopeyBadger training plan! And then on Wednesday by big girl starts kindergarten! And Thursday my baby girl starts k3. Where did the summer go?!

Guys...I survived my first week of my @DopeyBadger training plan and my baby girl starting kindergarten. Honestly it was such a busy, crazy week and I'm glad it's over. It started with a kindergarten parent meeting Monday night, then Tuesday we had supply drop off and meet the teacher at our big girls school, then headed right over to our little girls preschool to drop off her supplies. Wednesday was the big day...the first day of kindergarten! L did so great. She was nervous but so brave. I missed her so much and was so anxious to pick her up. She loved it and had a great day! Phew...that definitely out my mama heart to rest. Thursday my little girl started her half day, two day a week preschool. Finally, last night we had an ice cream party at the little ones preschool. Needless to say, I've got two crabby and exhausted girls today!

Ok, so my running plan this week was this:
M- 2 miles at EA (13:54)
Mile 1- 14:04
Mile 2- 13:16

W-3 miles at EB (13:05)
Mile 1- 12:24
Mile 2- 13:02
Mile 3- 12:58

F- 2 miles at EA
Mile1- 12:21
Mile 2- 13:17

Sa- 3 miles at LR (12:50)
Mile 1- 12:24
Mile 2- 12:27
Mile 3- 12:38

Monday's run was rough. I contribute the majority of it to horrible weekend eating. I knew Sunday night that I would be paying for it Monday morning and sure enough, I did. Also, morning runs are rough for me.

Wednesday's run was fine. I felt a ton better about the run in general minus the humidity.

I ran with my hubby on Friday and ended up taking it way too fast. I felt good but I knew I was way off pace.

This mornings run was weird. There were moments when my legs felt really tired...evidence of a too fast run just 12 hours prior. But then my legs would feel good and I would get in a good rhythm. I actually felt like I was in a really good zone for a few minutes. Then I started over thinking it and lost my good pace. Towards the end of the run I was just really wanting to be done. I haven't really had dead legs though since my run so I'm thinking more of it was mental than physical although I can see that I ran the entire thing too fast.

Overall I feel good about this week but I am having a hard time nailing down the right paces. I suppose that will just take practice.

There were moments when my legs felt really tired...evidence of a too fast run just 12 hours prior. But then my legs would feel good and I would get in a good rhythm. I actually felt like I was in a really good zone for a few minutes.

I'll start by saying that it took me a really long time to get used to the slower paces. And when I was learning, several other @DopeyBadger trainees told me the very same thing - it takes some getting used to. You mention the idea of feeling like you're in the zone, and part of the design of these plans leaves you with multiple zones. It's important to try to teach yourself how each of those feel, because as I was promised (and now have experienced full well), you'll be glad to have each type of run in your schedule towards the end of the plan.

With all of that said, I have two caveats from my own experience: My initial times were based on the limited data we had about my running experience and times. I ran a race about a month in to my plan and my times were adjusted (faster) as a result. That helped tremendously. Second, sometimes your body just may not want to go that pace that day. @DopeyBadger has cautioned me a few times not to overrun my paces, but as recently as last week I blew the pace on a run because I couldn't get comfortable at the speed I was supposed to be running that day. It happens.

I'll start by saying that it took me a really long time to get used to the slower paces. And when I was learning, several other @DopeyBadger trainees told me the very same thing - it takes some getting used to. You mention the idea of feeling like you're in the zone, and part of the design of these plans leaves you with multiple zones. It's important to try to teach yourself how each of those feel, because as I was promised (and now have experienced full well), you'll be glad to have each type of run in your schedule towards the end of the plan.

With all of that said, I have two caveats from my own experience: My initial times were based on the limited data we had about my running experience and times. I ran a race about a month in to my plan and my times were adjusted (faster) as a result. That helped tremendously. Second, sometimes your body just may not want to go that pace that day. @DopeyBadger has cautioned me a few times not to overrun my paces, but as recently as last week I blew the pace on a run because I couldn't get comfortable at the speed I was supposed to be running that day. It happens.
Thanks for sharing from your experience! It feels good to know others have/had gone through the same thing. It seems like my long run pace is coming pretty naturally probably because it's right in my comfort zone. It's those slower paces that are hard to hit but I can already start to see what you mean about when training gets harder really appreciating those slower paces. I'm just going to try to trust the process and take each day as it comes.

It takes most people 2-3 weeks before the slow running starts to take hold. But you'll appreciate it later when the plan progresses.

Another week of training down, another week closer to my first ever 10k. I'm only slightly terrified about it. :scared:
My schedule for this week was...
Tues 2 miles at EA
Wed 3 miles at EB
Thur 1 mile at warmup, 4 x 400 at 10k, .5 CD
Sat 4 miles at LR

So...how did I do?! I survived! :dancer:

Tuesday's run: 13:59 and 13:38 so pretty close to my 13:54 goal.

Wed: Way too fast! :rolleyes1 12:01, 12:27, 12:29 so not close to the 13:05 I was supposed to run.

Thurs: the run I was super nervous about...dun, dun, dun. Warmup was fine but a little fast. 14:04 instead of 14:49. Then came the 4x400s. I had trouble getting the feel of these. The first one felt a little out of control which is odd because it was the slowest. After that I was really focusing on making my feet go faster instead of making my stride longer. That's what I'm supposed to do right? Anyhow, the splits were 11:22, 10:10, 10:42 and 10:45. So the first two were a bit off but the second two were closer to my 10:50 goal.

Sat: I was real lazy yesterday and put off my run until today.

Sun: Got my 4 miles in. 12:11, 12:34, 12:43, 12:31. It felt ok during the run but I've been drained since!

In other news, dining reservations for Princess are made!!! We are doing ohana after the half and beaches and cream for celebratory ice cream. I got up super easily to make these reservations and accidentally made them for tonight and as much as I would love to, I will definitely not be in Disney tonight. Wah, wah. So I had to call to get those canceled. I hate talking on the phone but disney people are just the best!

It takes most people 2-3 weeks before the slow running starts to take hold. But you'll appreciate it later when the plan progresses.
I am definitely going to keep doing my best to hit the scheduled pace for each day. Also, I found another 10k to run on October 29 (I think) so I'm excited to see the difference between the my first and second race.

Great week!

After that I was really focusing on making my feet go faster instead of making my stride longer. That's what I'm supposed to do right?

The stride lengthening will come from an increase in "power" in your step. It's not something I recommend trying to change manually. As you get stronger, the stride will naturally lengthen.

So, the better and safer option is to try and make your feet/legs move faster. Increasing your cadence. Just try and keep your foot fall underneath you and as quiet as you can keep it.

Anyhow, the splits were 11:22, 10:10, 10:42 and 10:45. So the first two were a bit off but the second two were closer to my 10:50 goal.

It might help to evaluate the 10k pacing by time rather than pace. With such a short duration, the "pace" can be distorted. So...

400m = 2:42
800m = 5:25
1 mile = 10:50

Ideally, you are within +/- 4 seconds of the goal duration (as an example, 2:38-2:46 for the 400m).

Also, I found another 10k to run on October 29 (I think) so I'm excited to see the difference between the my first and second race.

Awesome!

Great week!

The stride lengthening will come from an increase in "power" in your step. It's not something I recommend trying to change manually. As you get stronger, the stride will naturally lengthen.

So, the better and safer option is to try and make your feet/legs move faster. Increasing your cadence. Just try and keep your foot fall underneath you and as quiet as you can keep it.
Ok that's what I will focus on!

It might help to evaluate the 10k pacing by time rather than pace. With such a short duration, the "pace" can be distorted. So...

400m = 2:42
800m = 5:25
1 mile = 10:50

Ideally, you are within +/- 4 seconds of the goal duration (as an example, 2:38-2:46 for the 400m).
Ohhhh I get it! Ok, I will measure it that way next time. Makes sense!

Well...I think I kind of messed up this week. My schedule was supposed to be
M: 2 miles at EA
W: 3 miles with strides
F: 2 miles EA
S: 5 miles LR

Instead my week looked like this...
M: off (hubs had a fantasy league draft after work and didn't get home till 9:30)

T: 2 miles EA.

It looked like this-

Mile 1 13:03
Mile 2 14:16
So my first mile was a little too fast and second a little too slow.

W: off (We came home to find our mailbox had been knocked down so we had to make a last minute trip to menards after the girls dance class and by the time that was all done I just wasn't in the mood for a run.)

Th: 3 miles w/ strides
Mile 1: 12:44 This mile was a big suckaroo. I hated this first mile. Granted I ran a little too fast but it always takes me a while to find my groove and not hate my life during the first mile.

Mile 2: 12:43 Still too fast. Wah wah.

Mile 3: 11:41. Wayyyy too fast. I did my strides during this mile and had a really hard time getting slowed all the way back down in between strides. I felt completely recovered in between just couldn't get my pace right. Overall I really loved this run!

F: 2 mile EA (Actually
ended up doing my long run instead because we were having family over today and I was concerned I wouldnt get it in if I waited. Turned out to be a good decision because I definitely didn't have time today.

Mile 1: 12:22
Mile 2: 12:39
Mile 3: 12:50
Mile 4: 12:57
Mile 5: 12:15

Guys, this run was hard. I was spent by the end and am sore today! I was most surprised by how much my feet and ankles hurt. Do they just need to get used to the longer distance? Also, I feel really intimidated by my 10k pace. I'm not sure I can do that for 6.2 miles when LR pace for 5 miles was challenging. But I'm trying to keep in mind that I didn't really allow myself much time to properly train for this 10k and so finishing will be a really big accomplishment. I'm going to do another race the end of October and will be really excited to see how much improvement I can make between now and then.

So I missed a 2 mile EA run this week. Should I try to make it up tomorrow or just forget about it?

Congrats on another week! If you can force yourself to slow down more on the easy runs, then it will help make the harder runs seem easier.

No such thing as making up runs or adding mileage to other runs. Doesn't really work that way physiologically. So don't worry about the missed run and just move on.

Its rest day!! And I am taking full advantage by being a giant lazy butt!
IMG_6419.GIF
But so far this week I've gotten all my runs in and only have my long run left tomorrow! Woohoo! So here's how it's gone so far...

Tuesday 2 miles at EA
Mile 1-13:22
Mile 2-13:38.
Both too fast...wah wah. :headache:
Also, a bug tried to fly right up my nose. And it was a big one.

Wed 3 miles at EB
Mile 1-12:37
Mile 2-12:54
Mile 3-13:05
Getting closer to hitting those paces. No bug incidents during this run but I was lacking some serious motivation. I absolutely did not want to go out for this run but I think this is where having a running plan that someone else took time to create for me is super helpful. It gives me that extra incentive to get out there even though I don't want too. Also, the fact that my race is in 8 days...:guilty:

Thurs 1 mi WU, 4x800 at 10k, .5 CD
Mile 1: 14:26 felt like this :snail:
800 m:
1. 5:17
2. 5:17
3. 5:09
4. 5:14
CD: 13:43
Ok, this run was real hard. The first mile felt like it took forever and took a lot of concentration to keep making sure I was running slow enough and i still didn't quite make it. The 4x800s were challenging...super challenging. But I was proud of myself for not dying and finishing strong. I really wanted to skip the cool down but I remembered reading in someone's training journal that the cool down is important bc it teaches you how to run on tired legs. And my legs were definitely tired. So I sucked it up and completed the cool down too. I was pretty wiped by the end but my legs felt decent the rest of the day and they aren't sore at all this morning. So that's a good sign, right?!

Alright, I suppose I should at least pretend to do something today. Time to go fold laundry...exciting, I know. :D

Well my last week leading up to my race didn't go quite as planned...I was supposed to run 4 miles last Saturday. Didn't happen. I woke up and my back was bothering me and the day went on, it was hurting more and more. On Sunday I spent the entire day on the heating pad and by the end of the day I could tell my entire back was locking up. Not good. Thankfully, I got to the chiropractor Monday morning and he was able to get everything moving again. Huge relief!! So I went ahead and ran my 2 easy miles that night. It felt good to get out there but I was definitely a little tentative.

Totally off topic from running but Monday was a rough day. I had to take my 5 yr old to the dentist and she ended up having to get her tooth pulled. A little background...in June, Lylah fell and hit her mouth on a cement step and knocked one of her front teeth in. We made an emergency trip to the dentist who was able to yank her tooth back into place. It was awful but we were thankful that she hadn't knocked it out. So for the past few weeks I've started noticing a bubble on her gum above that injured tooth and over the weekend it got huge. I figured it might somehow. E infected but really thought they could maybe drain it or give her antibiotics or something. But nope...it needed pulled and it was the most traumatic, awful experience for both Lylah and her momma. Needless to say, the tooth fairy went out of her way to make up for the terrible way Lylah lost her first tooth.

Back to running...I was supposed to run 3 miles with strides on Wednesday but my stomach felt yucky. Thursday I decided to join a gym. They are having this 6 week program I wanted to do bc if I'm being honest, I need to drop some serious lbs. My pants are tighter than I would like them to be and I need to get serious before the holiday season begins. Anyhow, since I was there I decided to do my 3 miles on the treadmill. That sucked. I did 2.5 and it was ridiculous.

Tomorrow is my 10k and I'm pretty nervous. I'm trying to make sure I eat really well today and drink lots of water. It's supposed to be real hot tomorrow so that will be loads of fun. I'm not very confident in being able to run at 10k pace but I'm going to do my very best and regardless it will be a pr since I've never run a 10k before.

I'm not very confident in being able to run at 10k pace but I'm going to do my very best and regardless it will be a pr since I've never run a 10k before.

First, YIKES, sounds like quite a week. Hopefully things are evening out a little.

Second, re: 10k pace... I may be in the minority (I don't know), but I tend to subscribe to the "just do what feels ok" in terms of pacing for your first time at a given distance. My very first time running 10k was also a race. I just ran what was comfortable (didn't push the pace)... about 4 miles in, I was feeling pretty good and new that I would be able to finish, so that was great. The half last weekend was the same story: it was 3 miles longer than my longest-ever run, so I just didn't know how to approach it and how those 3 miles would feel. Since my goal was simply to finish, I took it a little slower than my HM tempo pace, and I'm ok with that. Now that I know I can finish a half, I'll push to hit tempo for the next one.

That was a heck of a week! I'm sorry it didn't go well - but I bet it'll get better! Sometimes life throws things at ya.

I hope that your first 10k went well yesterday! I bet you did great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!