Jellyfish on high risk the week we are there

Matthewaaron

Earning My Ears
I looked at the Hawaii Jellyfish calendar and noticed our week in March 2020 is a high warning period. It has to do with timing after a full moon. How’s the Aulani cove during these times?

Not sure about Aulani, but if you are planning on going to Haunama Bay just wanted to prepare you that they will close it if there is an influx of Jellyfish. Happened on our last trip. Later in the week we were at Lanakai beach and my DS10 got stung in the shallow water :(

I looked at the Hawaii Jellyfish calendar and noticed our week in March 2020 is a high warning period. It has to do with timing after a full moon. How’s the Aulani cove during these times?
Just checked the calendar and it's the same week we will be at Aulani in March as well! Shoot. Think I'll be sticking to the lazy river :lmao:

Funny but I noticed this same phenomenon during our Aulani visit at the end of May for 2020.

Actually I must have been looking at 2019 and not 2020. The full moon is May 7, 2020 and the jellyfish invasion is listed as 9-12 days after the full moon. Am I reading that right?

Last edited:
How big a deal is the Jellyfish evasion each month?
Looking at a google article from May over 900 people treated in one day so looks significant impact. Darn!

When I read Hawaii trip planning guides, I never read to plan around jellyfish week each month, didn't even know it was an issue until reading your post.

How big a deal is the Jellyfish evasion each month?
Looking at a google article from May over 900 people treated in one day so looks significant impact. Darn!

When I read Hawaii trip planning guides, I never read to plan around jellyfish week each month, didn't even know it was an issue until reading your post.

I think that is depends on the month. They do put warnings out on the beach for the days that the jellyfish could be there. It is usually about 3 days out of the month. The beach at Aulani is in a man made, protected cove. Most of the issues are in the open sea beach areas like Hanauma Bay. That is probably why most people don't complain about it on this page.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the jellyfish. If it's a REALLY big invasion and the beach is closed, sure, stay out of the water.

That being said, I can't even count how many times I've swam/snorkeled when jellyfish or Portugese man-o-war were present and I've only been stung once waaaay back in 1987. The day when 900+ people were treated was an anomaly. An influx is NOT like that scene in Finding Nemo when Dori and Marlin go swimming through the jellyfish.

On a side note, if you see Portugese man o war on the beach, make sure you keep your slippers/shoes on. If they get covered with sand, you won't know you stepped on one until it's too late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!