Jayco29rks

Wonder05

Mouseketeer
any experience with the Jayco 29rks
Looking at it for mom and dad (bedroom, sleeping three young children dinette and youngest in pa k in play, dh and myself on the fold out couch. My mom really likes how the couch and recliners face each other
Thinking f 250 or something to pull it

Thanks in advance

Oh and they are also looking at the eagle ht 306rkds version as well and the eagle ht 29.5bhds
They are debating if either of the eagles are worth the extra money.

We are big Jayco fans. Get the biggest one you can afford. Save lots of $ over trading up. BTW the first two are TT and the 29.5 is a FW. I really like the FW lay out.

There are a lot of Jayco fans out there. I would probably be one too if my local dealer didn't think MSRP is what everyone should pay. The 29RKS and the 306RKDS are nearly identical. As for being worth the extra $10-12k. You're getting the wardrobe slide and smooth sides (and some more 'nice' things) in the Eagle HT. I guess it really depends on how they intend on using it. The interior living space is nearly identical. If they aren't hung up on smooth sides (some really dislike the aluminum sides) and the extra bedroom space, I'd go for the 29RKS and enjoy the savings.
The 5er (29.5BHDS) is very similar to my former 5er. Having the bunk room is really nice with kids, but I got to dislike not having enough 'living' space in the middle. It always seemed like people were cramped in the middle of the trailer while the bedroom space on either end was just there.

An F250 looks like a good match for any of them. 10,000 GVWR and 800-1000 hitch/pin weight. They all come in fairly close on weights. Obviously the JayFlight is a bit lighter, but surprisingly not as much as I would have thought. Unless you are driving shorter distances or longer on mostly flat terrain, I would go for more than the base V8 engine in the used F250s. A diesel is probably overkill (although sets you up for the "next" trailer). Not sure if you are considering a new or used truck. The new F250s only come with 2 engine options. A decent V8 gasser and the $9,000 diesel. Older F250s had a V8 and V10 gasser option. Of those, definitely get the V10. Used diesels come with a premium, but not $9000 worth. If you're considering used, the diesels back to 2011 are great. I've had every Ford diesel option since the 7.3 Powerstrokes of the late 90's. The 7.3 was an amazing workhorse, but is very old now. The next 2 (6.0 and 6.4) had issues. (injectors on the 6.0 and terrible mileage on the 6.4 due to it being the 1st "emissions" diesel) The new 6.7 (since 2011) is very nice. First diesel I didn't feel the need to mod.

j

I have a Jayco 32BHDS, so here's my input:

I will be deeply sorry if I ever trade my camper and get one without an outdoor kitchen. The extra refrigerator and ability to cook outside keeping my camper from smelling like dinner is a big plus. Also, on the inside, the outdoor kitchen gives room for another bunk bed inside the camper which usually is on top of the kitchen space.

I DON"T like the metal sides, the unsmooth surface is harder to clean and polish. It's handy if you have an accident and instead of replacing an entire side, you just need to replace the individual panel. Not that I've had to do this, but just a thought.

I pull mine with an F-250 and I don't know it's there unless I watch the fuel gauge.

My Jayco, however much they brag about quality, was a leaking nightmare. Period. It was in the shop twice for repair, and finally, after the warranty ran out, I eventually took all 4 corner trim pieces off, stripped all the factory sealant off and completely resealed it. Now, I think I finally have it fixed. Granted, this could be any camper from any company, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth on the Jayco.

One last thing, don't buy anyone's load of bull about how they keep carpet and upholstery patterns in stock. I was told this by the dealer. In case something got cut or ruined, I could get the same carpet, etc. WRONG! Within 6 months of purchase, on my first trip to Disney, apparently a screw backed out of the rear slide while I was going down the road. When I let the slide out, the screw tore a 2 foot long rip in the carpet. Guess what...Jayco didn't have the carpet anymore so I had to settle for having the spot repaired and you can still see it.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy another Jayco, I'd just not be as eager. I've met plenty of people who own them and never had an ounce of trouble.

As far as using a pack and play, measure out the space you think it will fit in and see if you can walk around it. We did this with our Prowler when DD was a baby and it made going to the bathroom in theiddle of the night a hassle
We love the bunkhouse room because the kids have thier own space. Also tearing down the dinnette every day gets old quick.

i have to agree with Tigger Dad on the outside kitchen. Our Rock Wood had a great o/side kitchen. Never cooked inside & it smelled clean. I now have a Cyclone & hate to cook in it because you can smell what we fixed. The extra frig. comes in handy with the kids getting their snacks, drinks-not in & out of the camper's frig. Good luck on what you find.

I will be deeply sorry if I ever trade my camper and get one without an outdoor kitchen.

I have a question for you, my DS has a cougar about the same floor plan as yours with the bunks by the outside kitchen, he says the bunks get hot from the fridge under the bunks. Do you have this problem or it there a vent fan or something on yours?

I have a question for you, my DS has a cougar about the same floor plan as yours with the bunks by the outside kitchen, he says the bunks get hot from the fridge under the bunks. Do you have this problem or it there a vent fan or something on yours?

My model year did not have the vent, but the newer models do. I'll have to say I haven't had my kids complain about the heat on the bunk above the fridge though I do notice first thing in the morning when I first open it that it is warmer. Typically during the day the compartment stays open if we are around.

Just not something I've had an issue with, or at least my kids haven't complained it anyway.

Just has to ask DS about this, and he said he never noticed that it was warmer on his side of the bunkhouse.

We have had our 32 Bunkhouse TT for a number of years while our kids have grown up. When they were small, the dinette was ok to sleep in but soon they needed more room to stretch out and that's when we were grateful that we had the bunkhouse. As they went into the teen years, their own bunk gave them space to call there own (to read, study, daydream, be alone or have a special spot if friends were visiting). I say go for the bunkhouse and avoid having to upgrade in a few years. They all grow up so fast.

Having grown up in a popup->trailer->popup (which I am selling now) and now a new bunkhouse (Puma), I will say go with the bunk house. My popup is a Jayco and is a great unit considering it is 20 years old. Every company has had quality issues if you read the forums and every company has made trailers that were hassle free. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a jayco again if it was priced right, I just found a Puma that fit my needs and trucks abilities better. Let us know what you get!

We have the Jayco 26bh. It would be way too small for your family's needs, but works for us as a place to sleep and get cleaned up.
I like the bunks. It's nice to be able to get the kids to bed without the hassle of setting up beds each night. My older child also likes having her own space when she needs some quiet time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter