Japan with no skills in Japanese?

We did 3 days each time and we stayed once at the Hilton and another time at the Sheraton. Both were very nice hotels. One is a short walk to the monorail (that you have to pay for) and the other has a quick shuttle bus. DisneySea is my DH's favorite park and we've been to all of them except Shanghai. The last time we were there it was in early September right when Japanese schools went back into session ... which is also typhoon season. My friends tease me because we went to WDW early to get there before Hurricane Charley hit and we were at TDL when Typhoon Fitow hit.

Yes! Disney Sea is my favorite park ever!! The last night my husband was done with the parks after spending the day at Tokyo Disneyland - which is fine. It gave me time to wander Disney Sea again after dark (you have to plan at least two nights there - that park comes alive after dark) we stayed at the Hilton - a short walk to the monorail. You can buy multi day passes for the Monorail - the best and fastest way to get around the parks and to their version of downtown Disney. And if you are staying at an official Disney hotel - you can catch the bus right under the monorail station back to the hotel if it is raining (free)

I'm struggling to remember. I think we had a fastpass per person per day due to staying at Disneyland Hotel.
Otherwise we grabbed fastpasses for Space Mountain and they were available in the afternoon.
Try get a fastpass for Pooh's Honey Hunt if you're interested. Very popular and long queue. Awesome Pooh giftshop.

I remember running for Toy Story Mania. That isn't a fastpass and people run for that as soon as the gates open.

If you have been on Midway Mania in the US parks - skip it. It will throw off your whole day with getting fast passes for other unique attractions. You MUST ride pooh's Hunny Hunt!!!! An amazing trackless ride. once again, get there an hour before park opening. Get a fastpass for monsters inc. then ride Hunny Hunt (no stoping for anything else). I stress again - use fastpass successfully if you do not want to end up waiting hours in line (main rides easily have two hour waits in the off season)

To be honest - I would still skip Midway Mania. It is crazy how all the Japanese run to that ride for a fastpass- you have to wait in line to get the fastpass for the same amount of time it would take to get a fastpass for tower of terror and ride journey to the center of the earth (both blow away Midway Mania). Midway Mania is like a fun 3D shooting gallery - but you need to ride it multiple times to learn its secrets - just not possible at this park.

Definitely go to Disney as early as possible, before the schools are out!

Kyoto has Gion festival in the month of July. It is one of the big three festivals in Japan. If you want to see the festivals and parade, great. But that also means huge crowd will be there.

I think English is a mandatory subject at school starting middle school, but I think they are in the process of changing that to elementary school. Not sure, and this may depends on schools. Most of the younger people should understand simple English.

We spent 2 days, one more day to park hop would have been nice. But with a kid, 2 days was enough fun.

There is much more magic dust in Japan, not just at Disney, if you are viewed as a tourist and barely know the language. The wife looks at me disapprovingly when I experiment and act like a first time visitor to Japan; however, she admits the superior hospitality I receive is overboard and as profound as day and night.

No, conversations are pretty much out for me. I am notoriously bad at languages. Any foreign language I do manage to pick up is invariably on the reading not verbal end of things. I just like to know pronunciation and how to read a train timetable and possibly how to read enough "food" to order something I'm expecting to see.

I'm a bit concerned about navigating the postal service, I'll admit-- that was a total nightmare in Italy.

The reason I have a different answer than other respondents, might be I've traveled to some less common parts of Japan. Most American tourists do: Nikko, Tokyo, Kamakura, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima and Miyajima. Some also try; Sapporo, Okinawa, Mt. Koya, Fukuoka, and Nagasaki. the places I'm thinking of where there is noticeably less English are places like Zao onsen, Towadako, Osorezan, and Tsuroka. In general, to make up for that, people I've met in many of these places were incredibly friendly and kind even though I didn't always know what they were saying.

Most Limited Express/Shinkansen trains will have boards telling you the name of the train and its stops in English. You might just have to wait because it cycles through several options. If you have a smart phone, you can also use Google Maps or Hyperdia to chart trains. Most of the time you just need to know the station you want to go to. There is a lot of English, but sometimes you need to just wait for it to cycle through. Buses can be harder, but I've seen some of them are putting out more schedules in English. Bus stops are less likely to have English so know where you need to go and listen for it. Some buses are quite nice and have more than enough space for luggage and some are tight and compact.

If you are going in July 2017, it would behoove you to book hotels now, things will book up. I've only been in August and a few days of July in Japan, it's hot and humid, but if you can survive other hot and humid places you will be fine. The biggest difference is unlike Houston or Orlando, the Japanese don't tend to over air condition things.

Tokyo Disney is crowded. Stay as close as you can afford because you want to be there as early as possible. The Japanese are quite good at getting to things early and waiting patiently in line. The doll events I've attended in Japan generally start at 10, but many people are there by 7.

If you stick to the post offices in bigger cities most of them are quite good at helping foreigners both with packages and buying stamps. I've mailed a LOT of packages from Japan. If you're mailing packages, make sure it isn't just cheaper to buy another suitcase and bring stuff home that way. I once paid $10 to United for an extra box, it would have cost me a lot more to send the same box to myself. Stamps are fairly obvious, especially if you bring in the postcards already filled out. There is a way to send postal money orders in Japan, and I have done it, but that was a little more complicated. In general, people are happy to help.

If you're not a picky eater and willing to eat nearly anything, food won't be an issue. Some places have English menus, and many places have food models. (You can even visit the city they are made and make them yourself it turns out!) Food models tend to be a popular souvenir.

I wouldn't worry too much, my first trip I went alone and managed and I think I knew maybe 3 or 4 words of Japanese.

The reason I have a different answer than other respondents, might be I've traveled to some less common parts of Japan. Most American tourists do: Nikko, Tokyo, Kamakura, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima and Miyajima. Some also try; Sapporo, Okinawa, Mt. Koya, Fukuoka, and Nagasaki. the places I'm thinking of where there is noticeably less English are places like Zao onsen, Towadako, Osorezan, and Tsuroka. In general, to make up for that, people I've met in many of these places were incredibly friendly and kind even though I didn't always know what they were saying.

Most Limited Express/Shinkansen trains will have boards telling you the name of the train and its stops in English. You might just have to wait because it cycles through several options. If you have a smart phone, you can also use Google Maps or Hyperdia to chart trains. Most of the time you just need to know the station you want to go to. There is a lot of English, but sometimes you need to just wait for it to cycle through. Buses can be harder, but I've seen some of them are putting out more schedules in English. Bus stops are less likely to have English so know where you need to go and listen for it. Some buses are quite nice and have more than enough space for luggage and some are tight and compact.

If you are going in July 2017, it would behoove you to book hotels now, things will book up. I've only been in August and a few days of July in Japan, it's hot and humid, but if you can survive other hot and humid places you will be fine. The biggest difference is unlike Houston or Orlando, the Japanese don't tend to over air condition things.

Tokyo Disney is crowded. Stay as close as you can afford because you want to be there as early as possible. The Japanese are quite good at getting to things early and waiting patiently in line. The doll events I've attended in Japan generally start at 10, but many people are there by 7.

If you stick to the post offices in bigger cities most of them are quite good at helping foreigners both with packages and buying stamps. I've mailed a LOT of packages from Japan. If you're mailing packages, make sure it isn't just cheaper to buy another suitcase and bring stuff home that way. I once paid $10 to United for an extra box, it would have cost me a lot more to send the same box to myself. Stamps are fairly obvious, especially if you bring in the postcards already filled out. There is a way to send postal money orders in Japan, and I have done it, but that was a little more complicated. In general, people are happy to help.

If you're not a picky eater and willing to eat nearly anything, food won't be an issue. Some places have English menus, and many places have food models. (You can even visit the city they are made and make them yourself it turns out!) Food models tend to be a popular souvenir.

I wouldn't worry too much, my first trip I went alone and managed and I think I knew maybe 3 or 4 words of Japanese.

Wow, that is so useful. Seriously, you have no idea. I've been posting to a few different forums and your response is the most awesome! I have so much to see this first trip that disappointingly I'm just not going to get off the beaten tourist track. I was going to try but not happening if I want to make July work.

The lack of A/C won't bother me much, probably. I'm usually too cold indoors and I don't like radical temperature change- makes me sick.

In the midst of madly planning right now- I need to check a few things and then I can book it all. Figured that about TD. It's going to hurt but I'm going to spring for hotel mystays maihama. It's not actually that expensive but it's more money than anywhere else. I wanted the Hilton and apparently missed their flash sale by 3 days ugh. But it's not like I spend time in the hotel anyway in Us Disney, I just wanted the pool.

Wow, that is so useful. Seriously, you have no idea. I've been posting to a few different forums and your response is the most awesome! I have so much to see this first trip that disappointingly I'm just not going to get off the beaten tourist track. I was going to try but not happening if I want to make July work.

The lack of A/C won't bother me much, probably. I'm usually too cold indoors and I don't like radical temperature change- makes me sick.

In the midst of madly planning right now- I need to check a few things and then I can book it all. Figured that about TD. It's going to hurt but I'm going to spring for hotel mystays maihama. It's not actually that expensive but it's more money than anywhere else. I wanted the Hilton and apparently missed their flash sale by 3 days ugh. But it's not like I spend time in the hotel anyway in Us Disney, I just wanted the pool.

Glad I could help! I just realized my first response sounded a bit negative and I honestly didn't mean for that. I've spent more than a decade and a half trying to convince other hobbyist they should go to Japan and see it. I have heard people complain about the lack of English, I'm actually shocked by the amount of English (and it's always increasing!) compared to the amount of any foreign language you will find in the USA. But sometimes you need to be patient or just stop and look around and not everyone does that. If you want any help planning a trip feel free to PM. Some off the beaten path places are easier to get to than others. It's also easier as 2 adults since presumably you don't mind sitting on trains or buses. I'm going with my 6 year old soonish... We're debating rabbit island vs Miyajima+Iwakuni and I want to try to make it to Kamikochi but it depends on the weather. We're also going to Licca-chan Castle (again), but that's a very niche thing. (It's also an example of a place where English can be limited, but it has changed A LOT!) I'm better at Japan outside TDR, because I've only been to Sea once before, and this trip is going to be my big TDR trip with my daughter. :) I did go to Osaka Universal last June.

There is A/C, it's just not so cold you need a jacket a/c. I've only been to Japan until July 4 and the last week in or so in August and early September which can also be quite warm but counts as "Fall.

If it makes you feel better, nearly all places charge $25+ to use the pool when the pool is open. (And most indoor pools don't allow kids lol) Where are you using to book hotels? I would make sure to check as many sites as possible because there can be a lot of variation in prices. I think Hilton claimed they had the lowest price but I was getting a lower price from Japanican and Booking. I personally booked Tokyo Disneyland Hotel through TDR, my hotels in Kyoto through Booking, my 1 night in Takayama from Rakuten, my 1 night in Sendai from Booking, and my 3 nights in Tokyo directly with the hotel. (I had a few bookings with Japanican, but cancelled them lol)

Business hotels can be great for small cheap rooms, but do be aware the rooms are tiny, aka smaller than a value room at WDW. Also be aware of locations. You do not want to take anything that can't fit under an airplane seat on a bus in Kyoto. Lots of places are near bus stops, unless you are using luggage transfer services, don't pick one of those places. So even if the room is just for sleeping, it can feel tight especially with two people and bags. I once shared a room with a friend at an APA and regretted not just doing two singles. I hope this is helpful.

Booking, Rakuten, Japanican tend to have decent hotel cancellation policies... I should know I think I booked 4 or 5 different hotels at various times and I still have two to cancel lol One in Tokyo and one in Osaka.

If you have been on Midway Mania in the US parks - skip it. It will throw off your whole day with getting fast passes for other unique attractions. You MUST ride pooh's Hunny Hunt!!!! An amazing trackless ride. once again, get there an hour before park opening. Get a fastpass for monsters inc. then ride Hunny Hunt (no stoping for anything else). I stress again - use fastpass successfully if you do not want to end up waiting hours in line (main rides easily have two hour waits in the off season)

Any tips on grabbing fast passes? I almost never do this in California because it's sometimes kid of hard to find the kiosks. Where is the Pooh kiosk? Next to the ride or elsewhere?

Mania is not high on my list. I like it but don't really get the hype.

The FP for Pooh is near the entrance from memory. But, Monsters Inc is still the most popular of the two so, like recommended above, it makes sense to grab a FP for Monsters Inc and head straight to Pooh and do it standby.

If you're skipping TSM, then grab FP for the new Finding Nemo / Dory ride as I'm sure that will be popular. Then ride TOT or Journey.

TDR Explorer has a great website / app with the wait times in English which will help you plan subsequent FPs.

Finding Memo was very cute. You are in a theatre with effects. If you love the finding memo movies I would make it a priority to get there first for a fast pass (do not ride it - the line will already be to long). If you do not have an attachment to the movies, skip it. Go to tower of terror first for a fast pass and then ride journey to the center of the earth. Also, if you want to do finding memo but find the fast pass line to long - there is a staircase opposite to the entrance that takes you right to the center of the crater where you can get a fast pass for journey - but then fast walk to tower of terror - Be prepared, it will already have a longish line. But don't ride anything before you have a fast pass for something else.

I've taken the family to Japan twice, in 2014 and again last year. It's not hard to get around and see things and if you stick to major areas the language barrier isn't a problem. Unless you want to special order food in a restaurant. If you need some ideas or have questions about day trips let me know.

I've taken the family to Japan twice, in 2014 and again last year. It's not hard to get around and see things and if you stick to major areas the language barrier isn't a problem. Unless you want to special order food in a restaurant. If you need some ideas or have questions about day trips let me know.

Thanks, Douglas...although you may be sorry you asked, as I definitely have questions.:banana:

I'm chiefly wondering about one day trip from Tokyo. It won't actually be a day trip, I just don't want a super long train ride for an overnight jaunt.

The problem:

I have three nights in a Tokyo hotel booked. And 4 nights at a Tokyo Bay hotel for Disney. Between those two, there is one night not booked. It's a Saturday, and my Tokyo hotel doubles in price.

So I thought that was a prime time for a "day" trip. I just don't know what to pick. Hakone, Nikko, or somewhere else entirely. It will be July, so...will Hakone be a good break from the heat? Will I regret not going to Nikko? Is there somewhere else even more amazing that I'm missing.

On other message boards people have suggested giving up one night at Disney, but I figure y'all will understand why I don't want to. Neither do I want to shave another day from Tokyo given that I really only have 4 full days there- five if I stay in Tokyo just at another hotel if I don't do that overnight trip. Thoughts?

So I thought that was a prime time for a "day" trip. I just don't know what to pick. Hakone, Nikko, or somewhere else entirely. It will be July, so...will Hakone be a good break from the heat? Will I regret not going to Nikko? Is there somewhere else even more amazing that I'm missing.
Hakone. Book into a ryokan for the night. We stayed at one which was VERY expensive but worth every penny. We were served a many course meal by kimono clad staff in our room. The most interesting part was that our room had the "naked man view" and overlooked the mens bath :eek:. If you can't do a ryokan, then the round trip railway/cable car/rope way/boat tour was also wonderful. Don't forget to stop for Ōwakudani black eggs off the rope way http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/owakudani-black-eggs .

Hakone. Book into a ryokan for the night. We stayed at one which was VERY expensive but worth every penny. We were served a many course meal by kimono clad staff in our room. The most interesting part was that our room had the "naked man view" and overlooked the mens bath :eek:. If you can't do a ryokan, then the round trip railway/cable car/rope way/boat tour was also wonderful. Don't forget to stop for Ōwakudani black eggs off the rope way http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/owakudani-black-eggs .

Will the fact it's a weekend affect my enjoyment? I read someone's post on line that said the weekend crowds were bad.

Without kids, I'd definitely pick Hakone too. It's very scenic and memorable. Nikko was nice, but I didn't think it was as memorable. We mostly went for the kid friendly activities (Ninja park, miniature world).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!