japan trip report Part 1 : getting there

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
Part 1 : Getting there is half the fun !

I left Boise on Sat the 4th, and flew direct to LAX on Alaska. The flight was uneventful, when I landed I got my luggage, and used the phone in the baggage area to call the hotel and request pick-up ( probably not necessary but I like to hedge my bets ! ) and proceeded to the hotel shuttle area ( green ) at the concrete median. Within 15 minutes the shuttle from the Quality Inn and Suites ( on Century blvd )arrived and picked me up.
The Hotel was fine, it had exterior corridors to get into the rooms, but all access was interior. You had to go into the lobby, catch the elevator to access the corridors. I felt very safe. My room was a 2 queen suite. It had TV’s in both the bedroom, and in the living room. The living room had a round table with 2 chairs, a couch ( I assume it made into a bed ) another big TV, a fridge/micro/coffee. Not bad at all for $62. I walked to the Mexican restaurant for dinner. It was in an area where I held my purse close and walked with my best “I’m bad” swagger.
I slept well, there was very little noise in the room despite being so close to the airport and in a very urban area. First thing in the morning, I turned on the TV news, and saw a big banner headline “ LAX terminal 2 closed “ ! I decided to get to the airport ASAP even though my flight out wasn’t until 11:00, so I had the basic continental breakfast in the main lobby area, and hopped onto the shuttle. The van driver was able to get me pretty close to the International terminal despite the other closure….but I had to hop out in the street and dash up a set of stairs with my luggage. Good thing I pack light ! I checked into the JAL counter ( they screen your checked baggage prior to letting you get in line at the counter) and was able to get an aisle seat ! I then proceeded to the main security check, the line wasn’t bad at all. I did get picked for a wand and pat down….but no big deal. So I got checked in and on my way to the gate all in 15 minutes ! So needless to say I had some time to kill at LAX.

The flight to Tokyo was just under 12 hours. We flew on a 747-400. I was in the last section of economy and was lucky enough to be on the aisle with an empty seat to my right. The plane was almost full, and I estimate the passengers were 90% Asian. The flight crew were very nice and attentive. We were served our first meal /beverage service almost immediately upon take off. I had the beef option for the entrée, it was very good, the actual tray that the meal comes on has a metal “hot pad” that the entrée sits on, it keeps the food piping hot. It was accompanied by a cold Asian noodle salad that was topped with baby shrimp, two sushi, and cake for dessert. The second meal was served 90 minutes prior to landing. The hot dish was cheese ravioli in an Alf redo sauce topped with baby scallops. The salad was greens topped with crab meat. We also got a dish of fresh fruit with pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. There was a roll, and more cake for dessert. I give the food a big thumbs up.
I passed the time by watching two movies on my personal screen in the back of the seat in front of me, and playing FreeCell and solitaire. Of course I also walked a lot….on one of my walks I found the snacks they put out in baskets besides the galleys. The funny thing is they curtain off this section, so if I wasn’t using the galleys to be able to walk my “loop” I never would of found the snacks.
Some tips if you fly JAL :
1. look for the snacks, they had butter crackers, rice crackers, chocolate cookie sticks, and pretzels dipped in white chocolate ( delicious )
2. be sure to try “Sky Time” it is a Kiwi beverage made just for the airline, it is excellent light and fruity and refreshing.
3. The personal handset for your screen in inside the arm rest. One side is a phone, the other is the entertainment control. Use the arrows and “select button”. Once you chose to play a game, turn the control on it’s side or the arrows won’t align right.
4. be sure to check out the navigation map. It will tell you the time left till you land, and also give you a graphic of where you are on the map.
5. In the lavatories the drawer marked “amenities” have toothbrushes and toothpaste.

We deplaned in Tokyo, immigration and customs went smoothly, no one looked in any of my baggage. Unlike Australia, they don’t mind if you bring in packaged snacks. We were met in the lobby just after customs, and were taken by bus to our hotel in Tokyo. I will pick up there is part two.

Yes Yes Yes, Judy, I can't believe I happened on your trip report. I have been posting on another site also and found someone back east that went to japan disney. I too live in Boise and am trying to plan a trip for myself and husband and ten year old son. Can you email me if you wouldn't mind me calling you and asking you tons of questions? I am not real great on the computer. my mind always seems to go much quicker than my fingers on the keyboard. Thanks

Arigato gozaimas!!! Great start to a fabulous trip. I agree a thousand times about JAL, have never been treated so well and had such fine service. Many years later I remeber the great papaya dish served on my first flight!!!

kon bohn wa
kay

How did I miss that you had posted this? Off to read more!!! :D

I've always wondered about Japan since we've never been. Thanks for the pre Japan info.

Jenn

Fascinating!! Ty so much for sharing Judy. Looking forward to the rest of the report. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter