Japan adults only 9/29/19

I really love it that a few of you guys from the Iceland Cruise are on this trip. Hope your enjoying.

My Dad and I have been to Japan, Tokyo and Kyoto twice in November 2014 and November 2016. We want to go back in a few years hopefully

We took two trains and a bus to get to Odawara. The trains had free Wi-Fi and were far roomier and more comfortable than a bus ride would have been. We had just enough time between trains to use the restroom and hit up Starbucks. Sadly, pumpkin spiced lattes aren’t a thing in Japan. But sweet potato macchiatos make for a nice substitute.

We arrived at the hotel shortly after 7 pm and dropped our carry on bags our rooms. The buffet dinner at the hotel was pretty good. I believe this was an OYO before but is now included, replacing the arrival day one dinner which I believe is now OYO. The hotel has an arcade, bowling alley and karaoke center on the premises. Many in our group decided to take advantage of our 13 hour hotel stay and partook in one or stopped by to watch.

B725ADE5-4821-4793-812F-C7F2AC22B9C6.jpeg

056A7CC0-DB50-4235-BA56-AE906FCF0421.jpeg

DBB34BAD-8A70-44DA-99C6-70A42D821094.jpeg

0A7F486A-F3FE-4EB8-A815-1A04D936837F.jpeg

I'm glad they changed this to the train. Was is the Shinkansen? We arrived so late we didn't get to partake of any of the entertainment. Do you know if you're doing the bus tomorrow or the train again?

Looks like you had the same kind of room I did. I was surprised to find not everyone did! Are you going to sleep on the tatami mats/futons?

Sayhello

We also loved the cup noodle museum. I wasn’t that into the outdoor museum to be honest. It will be interesting to see how they alter it. It would be nice to get into Tokyo sooner though.
Shows how tastes vary-- we loved the outdoor museum but were
lukewarm about Cupnoodles!

I'm glad they changed this to the train. Was is the Shinkansen? We arrived so late we didn't get to partake of any of the entertainment. Do you know if you're doing the bus tomorrow or the train again?

Looks like you had the same kind of room I did. I was surprised to find not everyone did! Are you going to sleep on the tatami mats/futons?

Sayhello

I slept on the bed instead of the mat.

Our second train yesterday was the Shinkansen. We are on the bus this morning to the open air museum.

Today were our visits to the Hakone outdoor museum and Cup Noodle museum. This was followed by dinner at Gonpachi aka Kill Bill restaurant. We had fun with the sculptures and really enjoyed making our own Cup noodle. We had a blast at Gonpachi which has a great atmosphere. Our table wound up singing along with the songs played and dancing YMCA in our seats. Afterwards we braved our way across the Shibuya crossing.

9FE09D3B-2BB5-42DE-BAB7-84B093A13A83.jpeg

C3294848-E649-4897-A64C-E4C6D488AC36.jpeg

08146E00-D59E-46BB-B337-DA25258C014B.jpeg

42FF4E0B-FE4F-45FB-9138-B374831A2450.jpeg

4D1AE83E-8CCD-4204-8651-CB18C3EC5A03.jpeg

Today we visited Himarikyu Gardens which was very lovely and picturesque. The area is like Central Park in the sense that is a green, pretty area smack in the middle of a big city. We also had our sushi making activity today which was quite fun. Afterwards we went to the Asakusa area for some shopping on our own. I believe this was supposed to be followed by a river cruise on previous itineraries but has changed now. Today we were given the option to go to the top of Tokyo Tower. This was a pretty cool experience and the view is breathtaking! Since we knew we were on our own for the afternoon and evening we had purchased tickets to the Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku and took an Uber from the Tokyo Tower to get there.

43F885AA-86F0-4E39-8742-F5E6E7AEAC0C.jpeg

2587649E-4494-4CC8-A68C-58B669DF864B.jpeg

D1B7C1B5-03C8-45C1-B01B-F1734F0D3AAB.jpeg

F57DE7DA-1499-4F12-A685-5FFF532F3082.jpeg

365F4776-01C1-4319-967A-7748CDCE6448.jpeg

00EF7DB0-E76F-40B9-A942-E0982A1F91C4.jpeg

6F324B63-52C4-4162-9B4F-E607CC48DFA0.jpeg

Today we visited Himarikyu Gardens which was very lovely and picturesque. The area is like Central Park in the sense that is a green, pretty area smack in the middle of a big city. We also had our sushi making activity today which was quite fun. Afterwards we went to the Asakusa area for some shopping on our own. I believe this was supposed to be followed by a river cruise on previous itineraries but has changed now. Today we were given the option to go to the top of Tokyo Tower. This was a pretty cool experience and the view is breathtaking! Since we knew we were on our own for the afternoon and evening we had purchased tickets to the Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku and took an Uber from the Tokyo Tower to get there.

View attachment 442152

View attachment 442154

View attachment 442155

View attachment 442157

View attachment 442156

View attachment 442158

View attachment 442161
Tokyo Tower was one of the things I'd mentioned that I wish they would have done. Maybe someone was reading :) Sounds like a positive change, although it's too bad they couldn't figure out a different cruise line or make that experience better. Looks like you guys are having a blast. Any sense yet of where this one is going to fall in your ABD pecking order?

Tokyo Tower was one of the things I'd mentioned that I wish they would have done. Maybe someone was reading :) Sounds like a positive change, although it's too bad they couldn't figure out a different cruise line or make that experience better. Looks like you guys are having a blast. Any sense yet of where this one is going to fall in your ABD pecking order?

I’m glad the change was made too. I imagine there will be some more tweaks down the line. We are having a great time! Yes, DH and I both agree it’s in the top three. I would never have thought of visiting some of the places we went to and even if I had, getting there would have been challenging.

I’m glad the change was made too. I imagine there will be some more tweaks down the line. We are having a great time! Yes, DH and I both agree it’s in the top three. I would never have thought of visiting some of the places we went to and even if I had, getting there would have been challenging.
That's about where it was for us, too. So glad you guys are having a great time!

View attachment 442152

View attachment 442154

View attachment 442155

View attachment 442157

View attachment 442156

View attachment 442158

View attachment 442161
I agree, I think adding Tokyo Tower was a good exchange, although personally, I really wanted to go up in Tokyo Skytree. My boss's boss raved about it, and I had to tell her when I got back that I hadn't had time to do it. :)

I also think it's too bad they couldn't work out the River Cruise, but maybe there were other factors in that that we don't know.

How was the Robot Restaurant???

Sayhello

I agree, I think adding Tokyo Tower was a good exchange, although personally, I really wanted to go up in Tokyo Skytree. My boss's boss raved about it, and I had to tell her when I got back that I hadn't had time to do it. :)

I also think it's too bad they couldn't work out the River Cruise, but maybe there were other factors in that that we don't know.

How was the Robot Restaurant???

Sayhello

The Robot Restaurant was insane. It’s very kitschy but was fun in the sense that you won’t see something like that anywhere else. I’d read about it on blogs and TripAdvisor and knew not to eat there and just go see the show. It was something I’d been wanting to do. We all enjoyed it but it isn’t something I’d need to see again when we return in a couple of years. I’d definitely go back to Team Lab Borderless and Gonpachi.

The Robot Restaurant was insane. It’s very kitschy but was fun in the sense that you won’t see something like that anywhere else. I’d read about it on blogs and TripAdvisor and knew not to eat there and just go see the show. It was something I’d been wanting to do. We all enjoyed it but it isn’t something I’d need to see again when we return in a couple of years. I’d definitely go back to Team Lab Borderless and Gonpachi.
I had been toying with going to the Robot Restaurant, but I would have had to skip Team Lab Borderless to do it. I'm glad I chose Team Lab Borderless. But it does look like *quite* the experience!!

Sayhello

I had been toying with going to the Robot Restaurant, but I would have had to skip Team Lab Borderless to do it. I'm glad I chose Team Lab Borderless. But it does look like *quite* the experience!!

Sayhello

You made a good call!

The gardens look beautiful! The views from Tokyo Tower are amazing. We went up at night time.

Robot Restaurant was just a crazy, fun experience. Japanese culture on steroids, for sure. What did you think of it? I hear it has changed quite a bit since we went in 2015.

The gardens look beautiful! The views from Tokyo Tower are amazing. We went up at night time.

Robot Restaurant was just a crazy, fun experience. Japanese culture on steroids, for sure. What did you think of it? I hear it has changed quite a bit since we went in 2015.

Oh Tokyo Tower at night must have been amazing! Yes, the gardens are so tranquil. It is almost inspiring me to want something reminiscent of a Japanese garden in my yard.

The Robot Restaurant was crazy and silly fun. The pre-show in the waiting area was a bit risqué and not something I’d want my nieces or nephews seeing. The main show downstairs was loud, colorful and chaotic. The “story line” translation got lost in translation in a few sections which made it funny. I enjoyed the experience for what it was.

This morning we visited the Meiji-Jingu Temple. Afterwards we were given the option to partake in a Shinto ceremony. What a unique experience! Seeing this was definitely a highlight for me. Although I couldn’t understand what was being said, it was such a pleasure to be in the shrine and watch and listen. I especially enjoyed the part where two attendants in ceremonial attire dance in unison. The ceremony takes about 20 minutes. No photos are allowed in the shrine or during the ritual but I don’t think it is something I will ever forget.

Afterwards we went to Takeshita Street. There’s fun food and fun shopping opportunities there. I simply had to get an ice cream cone because it was so “kawaii” and of course had to have a selfie with Tomomi. She is so much fun!

Tonight will be our farewell dinner. I can’t believe it’s the last day. This amazing trip has gone by way too fast. We absolutely loved James and Tomomi! They were phenomenal and really did an outstanding job! Thanks for following along on our adventure to Japan.

7568036C-2A46-431C-8B61-169E7519603A.jpeg

F2B15A65-3C75-4994-BEBF-0850166C3947.jpeg

78C28190-ECE3-4639-947D-3B5B64FCDE8A.jpeg

6B541B9F-9CAA-4501-9A26-46F91C265268.jpeg

2CD440EC-F8A6-439F-93AD-A13A7045F7C2.jpeg

2C396700-F813-49C4-8DE6-0B83561E4119.jpeg

@calypso726 I also loved the Shinto ceremony; I found it to be a very moving experience. I am not sure why this was removed from the itinerary, but I am so glad that we got to witness it. I can't see that being something that you could arrange on your own.

I have really enjoyed following along on your trip. Thanks so much for sharing. I am very glad to hear that you got out ahead of the typhoon. How scary that must've been with it bearing down on Tokyo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!