*** January 2019 Thread ***

Welcome, @Ginger R! I’ve added you to the roll call. A theme park view will be great!

Welcome, @Sydney2977! I’ve added you to the roll call. Your plans look great - lots of good eats!

Welcome, @tylerzmommy! I’ve added you to the roll call. I would love to bring our trailer to the Fort... but it’s a long drive from Buffalo, NY! :-)

Welcome, @HollanZoo, I’ve added you to the roll call. I agree about the driving... my choice would definitely be to fly!
my goal is to drive my rv from Buffalo NY and stay at FWL sometime in the next five years!

Welcome, @Flamingeaux! I will add you to the roll call once you know for certain that you’re switching your dates. Here is what I found on disneytouristblog.com about decorations:

“There is no easy answer to that. Typically, decorations stay up and–most notably–the Cinderella Castle Dream Lights continue to be lit until the Walt Disney World Marathon concludes (January 7, 2018). After that, decorations start coming down, but it’s usually a pretty slow process and does not occur all at once. It’s not entirely predictable, either. Some years, the majority of the decorations are down by around January 10. Other years, it takes until the end of January.”

The marathon is a weekend later this year, so you may luck out! We arrive the 10th and I would love it if at least some are still up. I’ve seen them before but my hubby and kids haven’t, and they are magical! We are staying at Copper Creek and I would LOVE to see the tree in the WL lobby... fingers crossed for that to still be there.
I arrive on the 4th and I am hoping to catch at least a few decorations.

Getting harder and harder to keep this surprise trip for hubby's 50th birthday a secret. Plan on springing it on him on October 20th with a personalized puzzle. Almost slipped a couple times, especially the other day when he said "I want to be low key for my 50th birthday. Would like to just stay home and do nothing." Little does he know he will be on a plane heading to our happy place two days before the big 5-0!!

Getting harder and harder to keep this surprise trip for hubby's 50th birthday a secret. Plan on springing it on him on October 20th with a personalized puzzle. Almost slipped a couple times, especially the other day when he said "I want to be low key for my 50th birthday. Would like to just stay home and do nothing." Little does he know he will be on a plane heading to our happy place two days before the big 5-0!!

Birthday trips are the best - make sure he wears a birthday button! I was there for my birthday last year and I got so many "Happy Birthday" wishes from cast members... and one gave me a free dessert from a food & wine kiosk! :-)

Birthday trips are the best - make sure he wears a birthday button! I was there for my birthday last year and I got so many "Happy Birthday" wishes from cast members... and one gave me a free dessert from a food & wine kiosk! :-)

They don't ever sing or draw oodles of attention to birthday folks, do they? We're going shortly after my buddy's birthday, and I was hoping to get him to wear the button, but while he doesn't mind free stuff, his idea of hell is that thing where restaurants sing and bring out a cake. (As in he's straight up told me that if I ever tell restaurant staff it's his birthday and arrange for that--Friendship Over.) I figure that it would just be a little extra pixie dust, and nothing too over-the-top or embarrassing--I want to make his first trip as special as possible, but not uncomfortable.

They don't ever sing or draw oodles of attention to birthday folks, do they? We're going shortly after my buddy's birthday, and I was hoping to get him to wear the button, but while he doesn't mind free stuff, his idea of hell is that thing where restaurants sing and bring out a cake. (As in he's straight up told me that if I ever tell restaurant staff it's his birthday and arrange for that--Friendship Over.) I figure that it would just be a little extra pixie dust, and nothing too over-the-top or embarrassing--I want to make his first trip as special as possible, but not uncomfortable.

If he doesn't like the attention then I wouldn't have him wear it. But I've never had any experience with birthday buttons. My girls wore my first visit buttons and honestly it didn't draw any extra attention from the CMs or very little. Not to say it hasn't for others. I feel the buttons are over used and possibly the CMs aren't paying as much attention to them as they used to. Just my opinion based on what I've seen.

I don't think they ever do the "ambush" thing at a restaurant - at least I've never heard of it. He'd get happy birthday wishes from cast members, for sure - but they're not obnoxious about it. But if he absolutely doesn't want any attention, then he probably shouldn't wear a button.

I have had many CMs go out of their way wish me a Happy Birthday while wearing the pin. People in the parade acknowledge it, FP+ redemption terminals say it, Starbucks CMs put it on the cup, etc. I was with two friends one time and we got on an empty bus leaving AK and the driver changed the LED sign on the bus to say something like VIP guest. Nothing crazy, but if he does not like attention he will probably get more than usual with a pin on.

We are spilling the beans to the kids on Sept 23 when we hit about 100 days. My brother and sister in law live next door and over the summer we started a Sunday cookout then Sunday cookout game day. So we're taking the opportunity to use this time as a surprise the kids. We're going to make Disney themed foods and my husband and I are making up a trivia game for them. At the end they get a prize which will be the trip to Disney!

We are spilling the beans to the kids on Sept 23 when we hit about 100 days. My brother and sister in law live next door and over the summer we started a Sunday cookout then Sunday cookout game day. So we're taking the opportunity to use this time as a surprise the kids. We're going to make Disney themed foods and my husband and I are making up a trivia game for them. At the end they get a prize which will be the trip to Disney!

I love it! How fun. The first time we took our boys we surprised them with the news at Christmas. I made up cards with clues and they had to follow them to find a big box that had Disney swag and balloons with “We’re going to Disney” signs on them when they floated up. So much fun!

Just found this thread! We have a family trip planned for the 14th through the 24th. My parents own DVC, so we'll be staying at the AKL, Poly, and WL!

Last edited:
Just found this thread! We have a family trip planned for the 15th through the 24th. My parents own DVC, so we'll be staying at the AKL, Poly, and WL!

Welcome, @Dentam! I’ve added you to the roll call. Wow - three resorts! That will be fun! Happy planning!

Welcome, @Dentam! I’ve added you to the roll call. Wow - three resorts! That will be fun! Happy planning!

Yeah, we tend to enjoy resort hopping and those are our three favorites! We'll be at AKL for 4 nights, Poly for 4 nights, and WL for 2 nights! Just realized my post should have said the 14th through 24th!

Yeah, we tend to enjoy resort hopping and those are our three favorites! We'll be at AKL for 4 nights, Poly for 4 nights, and WL for 2 nights! Just realized my post should have said the 14th through 24th!

I updated the roll call to the 14th. Your plan sounds great... I would love to go for ten nights sometime! The longest I’ve done is seven.

We have celebrated many birthdays at Disney over the years. My niece and I have been sung to once each. My experience was a very sweet surprise by three of the cast members in the patisserie in France. It was spontaneous and not a huge moment, but lovely memory. My gorgeous, teen niece was serenaded by cute Italian cast members at Via Napoli--she was loving every second of that. Otherwise, cast members and even guests will wish happy birthday everywhere you go, hand you a phone for a special message and may give some freebies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter