January 2018..... who will be there?

@snowmedic cant wait to meet you and little medic. We are hoping to be up at 6 and head out by 8. Plenty of time for a visit. And good reason for us to really get up.

Today was pretty good. Got to Epcot about 11:15 and I was starving so hit the festival food booths. It is different from the other festivals as presentation on these plates is important. Prices are higher but portions are bigger. It also means some wait time at the kiosks so lines can get long.

We had about 5 things. The best were the short ribs and parsnip purée. We then tried to go to our favorite Tutto Gusto for wine and prosciutto, however there was a line so we passed and decided to head out and go to Disney Springs. Epcot was crowded. Disney springs was not too bad. We made our way to the Eddison. It was open. We looked around and then sat at the bar for a cocktail, which was way too sweet. Then had a beer as we waited out the rain. Next we did some shopping but bought very little. Then we had dinner at the Polite Pig. Reviews have been good and I will second it I thought it was good. We got the butchers plate for two. Came with ribs, brisket, chicken, cole slaw, cornbread and two sides (Brussels sprouts and beets, both were awesome) it was $40. Thought it was very reasonable. Then a quick stop at Amorette’s for some take home to atlanta dessert for my bday next week and eclairs for tonight.

Back at the rig, everything is wet, but decided to have a fire and take the dogs out anyway.

Kris,

We walked past Polite Pig 3 times in September and never went in. Tried Boat House (very good) instead for lunch. Every other time we were at DS it ended up not being around meal time. May have to give it a shot in Feb/Mar.

Was the Edison as nice as everyone has been declaring on the inter-webs?

j

The Eddison had a cool vibe, but I love steampunk. To be honest the drinks were ok. We did not have the food, saw some come out. Looked decent. Again I think the vibe is up my alley but am really not like OMG I have to go back. Enjoyed sitting at the bar at the polite pig getting my hands dirty.

My thoughts on the Edison are the same as Kris’s. Cool place, nice decor - has that steampunk, 1900s/1910s vibe. Old movies from the period playing on the walls, etc. We didn’t have food, so I can’t comment there. From a drink perspective it was a bit disappointing - both our drinks were quite sweet, which is fine if you like that, I’m not a huge fan though. The bar staff we interacted with really didn’t have much of a clue as to their offerings - that is always a red flag. While I liked the venue, The Polite Pig was better from an overall experience perspective. One nice thing to see was that the bar staff was trying some new Burbon while we were there and obviously knew their offerings. Oh, the barbecue was really good... better than I’d expect from someplace in Disney Springs. Plus, it’s not that pricey, based on Disney prices. Now there is someplace I’ll go back to (in addition to Art Smith’s Homecoming - but that’s another story).

Oh, can I mention how much I miss the Adventurer’s Club, since it’s in the same location as The Edison?

Kris and Bert,
Thanks for the fire pit and wood. Sorry we were not at “home”, we ventured over to the Magic Kingdom. We will try to put it to good use and keep it moving along.

Shut down day is a busy day. Plus we had two extra tasks. It will be cold in atlanta and while we keep the rig indoors it might be out tomorrow night. We are not risking major issues so two additional tasks, winterize the rig, which means going to camping world for antifreeze.

We did start with BF at TE. Good as always but have not been packing on the food this trip. I did have enough though. All the good items. Then dropped off the traveling fire pit on our way to camping world. @Boomer1, hope you enjoy and hope you can find some one to pass it along to.

Once back started with cleaning the window then I moved inside while bert worked outside. Man you just can’t under estimate how much you have to clean up after two weeks. Plus the rig will be in storage until April so we try to be exceptionally thorough with cleaning.

Then dinner at.....TE. Yes lots of TE today but it is just easier. Then we walked dogs and watched football.

Hope to be up at 6. We got a lot done today leaving very little for tomorrow. I hope we get a chance to see @snowmedic. If he is like @bama_ed, he will be at the fort at 6 and waiting for the rockstars to make their appearance.

Only one pic of the dogs helping daddy.

33D56E6D-1578-419E-9057-5F87AC5EBEB8.jpeg

We did good. On the road by 7:40 and we met Vince and family. It was great for the rockstars. They love attention but don’t get so much on driving day. It’s clear, sunny and COLD.

Edited because I had 6:40 and it was 7:40. Not a chance at 6:40 but we were all up and hustling at that point.

Last edited:
Lil medic got to say pet the rockstars while DW and I talked to Bert & Kris for a few minutes. Didn’t want to hold them up. It was nice meeting the @garneska and have a safe trip.

We had breakfast at Whispering Canyon after and are now waiting for our site assignment in 1600. Hoping it comes soon.

The drive over from Destin went smooth. We left at 11 pm and got to the Fort at 5:30. Only one accident on the way but it was not blocking traffic, what little of it there was.

Snowmedic glad you and Flurries EMT B arrived safe and sound. Know the Rock Stars were happy for all the attention lavished on them. Hope your site is available in short order.
Boomer1 I started a thread to chronical the Adventures of The Traveling Fire Pit where we can follow who has it Meet and Greets (Hopefully) as well as some memories made thanks to it. Eeyeore has posted his location in the FORT and his willingness to act as an interim caretaker during his stay.

Safe travels Kris and Bert.
FtW Mike we have bought some firewood for the pit. DH plans to repair the handle. We have friends coming next week for a BBQ and their 10 year old son is looking forward to a camp fire and s’mores. I guess we should have a practice run before he gets here.
I will find Eeyeore and take him up on his offer.

@bama_ed I had to think about it for a second and then it clicked. Yup very legit as the kids say. Congrats!

@snowmedic I'm glad you guys made it safe and sound to the Fort. I hope everything goes well during your visit. Hope to see some vacation photos :)

@Bama Ed hope you got DD all settled in without too many tears be safe on ride home. If anyone asks, No I didn't cry but the residual sand from 2 weeks ago blew into my eyes is something I would totally believe

It is 6:50 pm and we are finished setting up camp. We didn’t get our site until 1:45. There are 2 empty sites in 1600. Have not gone looping yet, that will wait until morning. There are some Christmas decorations still up in 1600. Heading up to get GAG for dinner.

If you are in the area of 1600 stop by and say hi.

Snowmedic site 1621

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter