January 2018..... who will be there?

Ed,

I have a racing friend that has a house in Big Pine Key. His place only had minimal damage, but he has been posting pics regularly and it is still pretty bad down there.

j

I believe it Jim.

Ed was your Captain Axel Nordstrom and more important was his daughter Jennifer performing as one of his Mermaids

I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that, ho hum.... :rolleyes1

So I promised a picture of my campsite. Here is site 26 at John Pennekamp.

20171230_132209.jpg

Yep, that's a 5er on the left on 27 and a tenter on the right in 25. As I say, land is scarce/expensive in the Keys and I am paying $34 a night plus tax so that's not bad. The sites closer to the campground gate (1 and up and 45 and down) are generally a LITTLE bigger/wider but not much. The stats say my site is 14 feet wide and 46 feet deep. The gravel looks like ground coral.

The beach this afternoon? Not like the line at FoP this afternoon, I can tell you that.

20171230_162255.jpg

I hope the forecast changes for the warmer at the Fort next week.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Wow, you must really have to love your neighbors there Ed... makes the sites at the Fort look distant from one another. Enjoy the weather, it’s getting cold here in Atlanta, although Canton, OH took the cake at 12 deg F when we left on the 26th.

Hey Ed!! Now I want to go to Pennekamp!! You need another trip to the Keys to stay at Long Key (or less so but still awesome Curry Hammock). There’s nothing like the beach as your backyard. I’ve never stayed at Pennekamp since we do the Keys in the summer and we’ve heard it’s mosquito heaven then. We will be at the Fort till Wednesday - i think we miss you by a day.

Hey Ed!! Now I want to go to Pennekamp!! You need another trip to the Keys to stay at Long Key (or less so but still awesome Curry Hammock). There’s nothing like the beach as your backyard. I’ve never stayed at Pennekamp since we do the Keys in the summer and we’ve heard it’s mosquito heaven then. We will be at the Fort till Wednesday - i think we miss you by a day.

Allie we come in on Wednesday. Debating when to leave here to drive up but hoping to get in about 11am. What time are you leaving? That's the check-out time I know.

Your summer trip in 2016 IIRC at Curry Hammock was posted on the Community Board I think and that got me motivated for this trip. We just got back this afternoon from a day trip to Marathon to do a few things down there and had a fabulous lunch. We drove past Curry Hammock and I know it's open and operating and would like to stay there soon. Went past Long Key SP and since it is so close to US 1 (the campsites that is) and the trees were so thin and leaf bare from Irma, I could see the camper gate, water dump, and the sites. There was a dump truck of sand piled on every site on the beach side (and sometimes a continuous line of dumps). So it's been closed for the planned beach renourishment and who knows how long any Irma repairs will take.

I'm going to attempt a CH reservation here coming up.

I'm not planning on sharing any pictures from today because that would be rubbing it in. And like Kris I am watching the forecast and adjusting on the fly.

Have a great stay.

Bama Ed

Ed,

How was Marathon? Dorsey talks about it being the closest place to him (Summerland Key) with a store or gas station operating.

j

Ed,

How was Marathon? Dorsey talks about it being the closest place to him (Summerland Key) with a store or gas station operating.

j

Well, Jim, Marathon was mostly up and running but it's not 100%. In the town area itself along US 1 which is the commercial area where the airport is, some buildings are still closed and others have their lit signs blown out (for example Burger King had a vinyl sign with the logo draped over the blown out lit sign shell).

If your buddy is on Summerland Key which is down around mm25, then he has to haul all the way north across Seven Mile Bridge to get up to Marathon which is maybe a 15 mile run. That explains why it was so crowded at the Marathon Publix grocery store when I stopped in there today. Cars were circling the parking lot because there were no empty spaces. Nearly every checkout line was running and the place was packed with shoppers. They also have a Home Depot store which was open and operating.

What I wasn't prepared for, honestly, was the amount of debris pushed up on the side of US 1. Some of it is building debris (wood, sheet rock, roofing, timbers, etc. all crumbled up in piles) and some of it is plant/vegetation (downed limbs, dug out stumps, palm fronds, dirt and sand debris). Along the residential keys leading into Marathon the debris piles are almost constant on one side or the other. There are torn up appliances, toilets, and junk piles too. At Islamorada and above which is mm73 and higher at Matacumbe Key, there is hardly any debris. It may not have been bad to start with or already been cleared.

But below mm73 which is the town of Layton and Long Key, it's like a switch was flipped and the debris piles start immediately. That is also the side that bore the brunt of the rotation when the eye crossed around Big Pine Key at mm37. Trees are nearly stripped of their leaves (palm trees did okay) so it's like winter when you look at the condos through the trees for example, all you see are empty limbs in between.

The highlight of the day was visiting the Dolphin Research Center (its claim to fame is that is where the 1963 movie "Flipper" filmed its underwater and dolphin stunt scenes). Well worth the cost of admission. At each "show" they thanked us for coming and visiting. They said they were closed for a month due to storm repairs and then when they reopened the tourists were slow to come back.

Two other Irma related things I've heard down here. First, residential building codes for most homes require a rebuild/build up on stilts (off the ground) even if the former home was on a slab. So that adds to the building cost. Second, the lack of affordable housing (slab and ground floor dwellings, trailer parks, mobile home parks, etc.) means people who work for lower wages in the tourism or service industry don't have places they can live. They were destroyed in the storm and are not being replaced quickly enough or allowed at all.

It's going to be a long road to full recovery. But they're making progress.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Happy 2018 all. Now it's officially January in the January thread.

An update: we were supposed to come in on Wednesday but Disney had a Preferred available this morning for tomorrow night so I snapped it up and will be coming in to the Fort tomorrow (Tuesday) which is the same day as garneska. Being a crowded time of Year I don't expect to have my pick of sites this time around - I am hoping, however, for a site in the sun with little shade. :teeth:

I bet I will end up in the overflow lot for a while. We should be there before lunchtime :car:.

That means I have to load up most stuff today during the bowl games. :happytv:

Bama Ed

I guess this is where I trip report now :). If you exit out the far end of the parking lot opposite the end where the overflow field is, does anyone know what the large land clearing / drainage project is for?

Thanks for the update Ed. The debris and shattered houses that still remain are the most impressive thing (and most complained about) that Dorsey posts. Most of the storm debris has been there, mostly unchanged, since the first month. The houses I understand, but not touching the enormous piles of stuff on the road doesn’t make sense. Monroe county has always had some very restrictive building codes. I’m curious if this disaster will have any impact on them.

Have a safe drive up to the Fort and say hi to Kris and Bert for us. Stay warm and enjoy.

j

Nice Ed we are expecting to wait in over flow as well. Got to storage on time but had a few things to deal with so got started a lot later than expected. On the road at 12:30, hope to get to Eagle’s Roost with a tiny bit of light. Plan is to head out early tomorrow hope to get to the fort at lunch time.

Several of the folks around us left today. Two on either side here below and the 3 across the road. Many are headed to Bahia Honda (further down the Keys at mm37 near where Irma's eye passed) which is opening to campers today in the Buttonwood campground only.

20180101_132534.jpg

Oh, 76F (RealFeel is 83F) and watching bowl games here at 145pm in a tshirt, flip flops, and shorts. :cool2:

Headed to the Fort tomorrow.

Bama Ed

PS - everyone of these sites will fill back up today.

Last edited:
Oh, 76F (RealFeel is 83F) and watching bowl games here at 145pm in a tshirt, flip flops, and shorts. :cool2:

Headed to the Fort tomorrow.

Bama Ed

Too bad that warm weather won’t follow you to the Fort...well, at least it won’t be snowing (well, ok...at least the snow won’t stick!)

Enjoy your stay...chili will warm you up I guess...

We made it to Eagle’s Roost. Traffic was flowing and no issues in Atlanta. We left later than we wanted but had no issues. Drive time was 4.5 hours. That was 30 min faster than nov, too much holiday traffic.

Made it in daylight. Dogs have been walked, car has been emptied. Dinner at Cracker Barrel then back to put everything away.

Too bad that warm weather won’t follow you to the Fort...well, at least it won’t be snowing (well, ok...at least the snow won’t stick!)

Enjoy your stay...chili will warm you up I guess...

Thanks Jimmy. I wish I could drag about 10 degrees with me up to Orlando.

Oh, and I feel like I should be looking for you around the Fort parking lot tomorrow morning, lol. :drive:

Bama Ed

Kris Happy to see you had no problem getting to Eagle's Roost See you walked the ROCK STARS did you by chance Pee them as well?

Oh, and I feel like I should be looking for you around the Fort parking lot tomorrow morning, lol.

....if only I could be there playing "I spy the arriving DIS'ers"....but someone has to stay up north and freeze to make everyone there on vacation feel better!

....if only I could be there playing "I spy the arriving DIS'ers"....but someone has to stay up north and freeze to make everyone there on vacation feel better!
Up North and freeze? I think Ed and his site 26 are the only places above freezing right now. Even here in MS it's ridiculous cold.

Just isn't fair...

Hey it is going down to 63F tonight. Come on, man...

oh and RTR :cheer2:

It’s 26 at Eagle’s Roost. Yes weather stalking for the races. Will be super cold for the 10k but had a practice run on Sunday in atlanta. Weather will be great by Monday after the marathon.

@FtW Mike we walked them first then after dinner we peed them. Yeti even fell over (can’t do the poop squat), but managed not to fall in it. I guess more info than anyone wants. Yeti is struggling all around with his legs. The back ones have been an issue for a while but one front one has a very bad wrist and the other a bad shoulder. Will make these two weeks a challenge. Sunday evening should be a bit warmer, bert may have to sleep outside with yeti if he can’t lift him back into the rig after the marathon. Oh it will be a fun weekend.

On the road before 8 am woohoo. We were up at 4:30 and since we planned on getting up at 5:30 I did not go back to sleep. Need to get ready for early wake ups on Friday and Sunday.

Rig started fine with engine heat running only issue we saw was hydraulic fluid under passenger back slide. Slide came in so we headed out. Will check it at Disney. We are hoping it was a seal that could not handle the cold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter