**January 2018 Check-in Thread**

January 13th to January 17th.

We just changed our Las Vegas trip to a Disney / Vegas trip. I'm thinking the 13th through 17th in the Disney area, and then the 17th to the 20th in Las Vegas. We've changed our arrival flight from LAS to LAX, and booked a car from LAX to LAS, but still trying to decide on a hotel near Disney!

We were just in in Disney World at the end of October, so I'm trying to keep this trip low budget. It's a lot harder to find a good low budget hotel near Disneyland than Disney World. We just stayed in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, timeshare resort near DW, for $145/night. It's looking like $145 for one king room near DL. So, it may cost the DH and I as much as it cost for all 6 of us in DW.

Any recommendations on cheap, clean hotels near DL? Free parking preferred.

Also...I don't know ANYTHING about restaurants at DL. Are there any must do's in DL, like BOG in DW?

The Candy Cane Inn is wonderful! Clean, free breakfast, free parking, and free shuttle (though it is an easy, short walk!), and very reasonable prices!

Hi Everyone :wave:

We recently booked our 2nd trip to DLR for January 13-17!! We went the same weekend this year and had a blast!! We’ll be staying at the Tropicana for the first time.

We're finally within the reservation window for my trip. Woo hoo! I booked a character breakfast and Fantasmic dinner for MLK Jr. Day. I was worried they wouldn't do Fantasmic that day, so I'm pretty pleased. I hope they don't end up cancelling it.

Hi all!

Was planning on WDW the first week of January but, on a whim last week, I decided to switch it up and go to DLR instead. This will be my second Disneyland pilgrimage (first time was January 2016).

I'll be there Jan. 1-5. Have reservations at the Hilton Anaheim and the BW Plus Park Place. Trying to decide which one to ultimately go with. I stayed at the Hilton last time and was pretty pleased overall.

Have Blue Bayou Fantasmic! package booked, as well as a Cafe Orleans dinner and a Napa Rose dinner. Also, planning on taking advantage of the holiday kitchens at DCA, booking a WOC dinner package (did it for Carthay Circle last time, so I may try Wine Country) and I really want to book the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour for whatever day I can get it.

So excited to head west again. A Disney adventure is always a great way to kick off a new year.

I'll be there Jan. 1-5. Have reservations at the Hilton Anaheim and the BW Plus Park Place. Trying to decide which one to ultimately go with. I stayed at the Hilton last time and was pretty pleased overall.

We're staying at BWPPI those exact dates! I haven't stayed at the Hilton, but have stayed at BW one or two times before. I'm sure amenities and atmosphere-wise the Hilton will best BW, but that quick walk to the parks adds a thousand points to my tally. I know the rooms have also been either renovated or refreshed at BW recently, too.

For now it looks like Best Western Plus for us. AAA rate wasn't too bad considering free parking, and breakfast, and right across from the entrance to the park.

I made a second reservation at the Clarion. I'll have to see my cheapskate side wins out over convenience in the end. It's about half the price, but I didn't like some of the reviews I read.

Checking in at the grand on the 7th. Plan on spending the 7th to the 11th at DLR, then hitting Universal on the 12th.

o_Oo_Oo_O
For now it looks like Best Western Plus for us. AAA rate wasn't too bad considering free parking, and breakfast, and right across from the entrance to the park.

I made a second reservation at the Clarion. I'll have to see my cheapskate side wins out over convenience in the end. It's about half the price, but I didn't like some of the reviews I read.

I’ve stayed twice at the Clarion in the past year as my cheapskate won out. Each time I was with only one of my kids. We found it fine both times. I’m pretty low maintenance when it comes to hotels as long as it’s clean enough. We used the shuttle from the Toy Story lot across the street —- about a 4 minute walk —- and found that to ALMOST match the convenience of the two times we stayed at the BWPPI. When it was all 4 of us, it was worth it for us to spend a bit more and be so close at the BW. No breakfast included at the Clarion, but we’re rope drop people, so breakfast is often a panic for us to fit in anyway. I like the pool area lot more at the Clarion, but no hot tub. Maybe not such a helpful post, but there you go!o_O

Last edited:
o_Oo_Oo_O

I’ve stayed twice at the Clarion in the past year as my cheapskate won out. Each time I was with only one of my kids. We found it fine both times. I’m pretty low maintenance when it comes to hotels as long as it’s clean enough. We used the shuttle from the Toy Story lot across the street —- about a 4 minute walk —- and found that to ALMOST match the convenience of the two times we stayed at the BWPPI. When it was all 4 of us, it was worth it for us to spend a bit more and be so close at the BW. No breakfast included at the Clarion, but we’re rope drop people, so breakfast is often a panic for us to fit in anyway. I like the pool area lot more at the Clarion, but no hot tub. Maybe not such a helpful post, but there you go!o_O

So helpful!! I was thinking it may be possible to just walk to the Toy Story lot, and get a shuttle, but I wasn't sure. How much is the shuttle from the parking lot? Is it the same as Disney World (free) from the parking lot, or do they check to see if you paid for parking at the lot?

How much is the shuttle from the parking lot? Is it the same as Disney World (free) from the parking lot, or do they check to see if you paid for parking at the lot?

It's free, and they don't check if you've parked there. Just get in the line and then board the next shuttle with everyone!

I'm going January 23-24 for my birthday :) My daughter is coming with me and bringing my 1-year-old grandson for his first visit to DL! We're staying in a 1-bedroom suite at DLH. We scored $29 flights (each way) on SW from Sacramento.

Hi there, we just decided on a trip to Disneyland for January .... We will be there Jan 2-7 I wanted to book Best Western PArk Place Inn but its all booked up.. so if anyone is going to cancel around those dates please PM me , I've been checking for cancellations 3 times per day on the site, and BWPPI and Anaheim Inn and so far I only have booked the Night of the 6th.

Thanks!

So helpful!! I was thinking it may be possible to just walk to the Toy Story lot, and get a shuttle, but I wasn't sure. How much is the shuttle from the parking lot? Is it the same as Disney World (free) from the parking lot, or do they check to see if you paid for parking at the lot?
I'm not sure if you've booked yet, but I'm doing my usual checking on hotels.com and saw that the Clarion is available for $74 Canadian for the dates I'm looking at January 28 - February 3. Not sure if that'll help your decision or not. It's made me rethink my reservation at the Fairfield Marriott for $120 a night. I might just book it and decide later...

ETA: Oooh, my Fairfield reservation is $120 US per night. That makes me even more conflicted... :(

Last edited:
It's looking less likely that WOC will be showing while we're there. The last date available for WOC dining is January 7 and we don't get there until the 10th. I got an email and phone call the other day that our outbound flight has changed. Instead of leaving at 4:15pm we're leaving at 9:15am. It means the kids will definitely miss their 1pm dance class but it also means we will miss rush hour getting out of LAX and be much better rested for the next day when we hit the parks. Win! I have all the dining reservations made - character breakfast, birthday dinner, Fantasmic dining, and Rainforest Cafe because the kids love it so why not. Now just the waiting. And not telling the kids!

Question about holiday decorations.....will they all be gone or at least lights off by Jan. 8??

Am so looking forward to our DL trip, our 1yr old daughter is going to love her first trip to DL...
mY 11 & 14 YR OLD cant wait, DH is Meh about it lol....but im still more excited them all of them :mickeyjum
I exchanged AUD to USD yesterday & not very happy with te dollar ATM but what can we do.........

Whats happening with WOC? We will be there jan 25 to 9 Feb...will it be showing then?

Question about holiday decorations.....will they all be gone or at least lights off by Jan. 8??
The past two years during that week, IASW was still lit up outside and still had the overlay. Aside from that, the few decorations that were still up would gradually disappear each night.

The past two years during that week, IASW was still lit up outside and still had the overlay. Aside from that, the few decorations that were still up would gradually disappear each night.

I go Sunday so will see all of it, but also go again Jan. 7.....BFF arrives to the parks on the 8th. She was hoping she would get to see some of it.......guess we'll see. The castle??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!