Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Happy New Year!

I am in the midst of figuring out FP+ selections and balancing it out with resort time.

Does the schedule for AKL activities remain pretty much the same time-wise? Or does it change a lot month to month?

We've stayed there twice and never really taken the time to enjoy the resort and everything that it offers. We hope to be able to do so for this next trip, especially since our kidlets are at a good age for the activities.

Thanks!!!

When were these taken?
Many years ago the pool used to be that greenish color - which I liked, but then they replastered it during a maintenance (I want to say 2010?) and these days the pool looks more blue to me due to the normal white plaster/ blue sky effect.
I read that they've fenced Jambo's pool - can anyone confirm?
....true on all accounts, but I think it was changed closer to 2007 (?) maybe....

We would only see the birds early in the morning. The cattle would come around 8 and the giraffes around 9am. They would start to herd the giraffes off around 7ish. There were days we would never see them because we were gone all day.

We were at AKL in November so maybe since you are going in May and it stay light much later, maybe they will be out longer at night? Someone on the last thread also reported seeing the giraffees earlier in the morning then we did so hopefully you get a view where they come out early. The hotel is amazing! Have a great trip!
....we were in Room 3546 and this:

20141029_164118_zpsfa63c563.jpg

....was taken before 8:30AM because that's when we'd leave for the parks....btw, it was October 2014.

....more pics from that trip:

20141029_152233_zps045e3c1a.jpg

20141029_152243_zps568bbad3.jpg

20141029_164139_zpsb912c0d8.jpg

20141029_165940_zps88218000.jpg

20141030_091601_zps6bd2712a.jpg

I had booked a std room and we got a 'people pen' view....not too shabby and waaaaaay better than looking at a parking lot!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! :wave:

We have decided to stay one night at AKL (savannah view) before moving on to our BC stay in October. I need some advice. We will have park tickets that day and hope to arrive at AKL around lunchtime or so. I need restaurant/park ideas. How would you plan your day? We plan to move on after breakfast the next day, so I need to know how you would best utilize a AK park day while enjoying the resort.

Thanks in advance!
~Cari~ pluto:

We stayed at AKL in March and Aprils a few years back, and always found the busiest time for the animals to be in the late afternoon/early evening, like between 3 and 6pm. I don't know how that would differ in different seasons. :)

We are staying Oct 2-11, we have rented points and managed to secure a value studio in Jambo House, we are used to ASP and POR, this is our first stay at AKL and don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me where abouts the value studio are located, I am not picky about views. Plus any must dos at the resort, we have eaten at Boma once already.

We are staying Oct 2-11, we have rented points and managed to secure a value studio in Jambo House, we are used to ASP and POR, this is our first stay at AKL and don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me where abouts the value studio are located, I am not picky about views. Plus any must dos at the resort, we have eaten at Boma once already.

See the map above (it's from Kimmar's post on page 1). The Value Studios are all on Floor 5 in Ostrich Trail and Giraffe Trail. You will either have a Sunset Savannah View or a Pool View! Enjoy! Those rooms are great and the location is so convenient! :thumbsup2

Wondering the same- just booked a value studio for August. Have always wanted to stay at AKL so finally splurged; we have eaten at Boma 2x but have never stayed there. We always stay at a value resort so this is big for us! I hope we like it even though we are in a Jambo House value studio, the cheapest room! I believe it said landscape or parking view?

Like RachelTori already stated , you'll be on the front two trails... We were fortunate enough to get a value studio in that 1st pod of rooms over Jiko. We had the 2nd to last room before the 2 pods separate. That's where the bank of elevators is..So convenient. Pool view as well.

See the map above (it's from Kimmar's post on page 1). The Value Studios are all on Floor 5 in Ostrich Trail and Giraffe Trail. You will either have a Sunset Savannah View or a Pool View! Enjoy! Those rooms are great and the location is so convenient! :thumbsup2

They'll definitely be on either of those 2 trails, but aren't some of the values also facing the parking area as well?

Wondering the same- just booked a value studio for August. Have always wanted to stay at AKL so finally splurged; we have eaten at Boma 2x but have never stayed there. We always stay at a value resort so this is big for us! I hope we like it even though we are in a Jambo House value studio, the cheapest room! I believe it said landscape or parking view?

Cheap Room, is merely a term. True it's a tad bit smaller in size, but for the price & sometimes the location, it definitely can't be beat..That's why they get snagged up so quickly. If I was telling anyone looking to stay value, my request recommendation always would be Giraffe trail/close to elevators...

BTW, the DVC Laundry is right around the corner going back towards the main lobby atrium...

They'll definitely be on either of those 2 trails, but aren't some of the values also facing the parking area as well?

Cheap Room, is merely a term. True it's a tad bit smaller in size, but for the price & sometimes the location, it definitely can't be beat..That's why they get snagged up so quickly. If I was telling anyone looking to stay value, my request recommendation always would be Giraffe trail/close to elevators...

BTW, the DVC Laundry is right around the corner going back towards the main lobby atrium...

Yes, the description says they may be facing parking. I don't know where the parking is exactly, but it did say that. With my luck this is what we'll get LOL.

Yes "cheap" is a relative term hahaha. Your posts are getting me back in the Disney mood though! We had a reservation at Wilderness Lodge. I was having trouble getting into it for some reason, and worried the construction would still be ongoing. Then I saw this price today and thought for $15 more per day I'd be nuts not to switch! So I did. Excitement level back at 10 again :flower:

Yes, the description says they may be facing parking. I don't know where the parking is exactly, but it did say that. With my luck this is what we'll get LOL.

Yes "cheap" is a relative term hahaha. Your posts are getting me back in the Disney mood though! We had a reservation at Wilderness Lodge. I was having trouble getting into it for some reason, and worried the construction would still be ongoing. Then I saw this price today and thought for $15 more per day I'd be nuts not to switch! So I did. Excitement level back at 10 again :flower:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm
Picture the parking lot on the bottom of the screen of the picture I sent. Immediately below/or in front of those first 2 trails, Ostrich & Giraffe will be the drive up area where the entry is...Just below that would be the Parking area. also If you can see where the elevators & bus stop are located. This is why I suggest Giraffe Trail.. For it's so close to Buses / Elevators ( for Pools & Restaurants ) & you never have to go to the lobby because it's a shortcut, to & from the parks.

DH and I are going for 3 nights March 21-23. First and last nights at Jambo, middle night at Kidani

I'm super excited for the adults only trip. It will be our first AKV stay and I'm using it to check out both resorts as we're planning a huge trip with all the grandparents (4 sets so 8 extra people) in December.

Any suggestions on specific things at either resort we should be sure not to miss?

Like RachelTori already stated , you'll be on the front two trails... We were fortunate enough to get a value studio in that 1st pod of rooms over Jiko. We had the 2nd to last room before the 2 pods separate. That's where the bank of elevators is..So convenient. Pool view as well.

There are rooms facing the parking lot, however, if you walk those 2 halls you will not see "DVC" logos on those rooms! :thumbsup2

I have a list of every room I've stayed in (since I started keeping track in May 2002!) so I just checked my list! I have 12 stays in "Value" studios or 1-bedrooms and have always had a pool or savannah view. All the room #'s have been even numbered: 5004, 5006, 5112 (twice), 5114 (twice), 5016, 5020, 5030, 5136, 5124 (twice).

All the room #'s have been even numbered: 5004, 5006, 5112 (twice), 5114 (twice), 5016, 5020, 5030, 5136, 5124 (twice).

Can you tell me which of those numbers are the value 1 bedrooms?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm
Picture the parking lot on the bottom of the screen of the picture I sent. Immediately below/or in front of those first 2 trails, Ostrich & Giraffe will be the drive up area where the entry is...Just below that would be the Parking area. also If you can see where the elevators & bus stop are located. This is why I suggest Giraffe Trail.. For it's so close to Buses / Elevators ( for Pools & Restaurants ) & you never have to go to the lobby because it's a shortcut, to & from the parks.
....and hers' the pic:

akl.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!