Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Last Dec. we were in standard view 5220/5222 (lock off 2 br. villa) on Kudu trail. There is a a pond, but I didn’t see animals drinking from it. We did occasionally see animals wander into the area including a couple of Elands who bedded down in the area every night. It was always a special treat when one or two of the giraffes would wander into view. I love spotting the animals from my balcony and it was more of a challenge from that villa than my experiences with savanna view villas - but it was a standard view so I was happy when I spotted an animal or two in the area - it is just a small little section of Sunset savanna.
Here’s a map w/ villa numbers for reference:
http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-akv/jambo-floor5-large.gif
It is close to the lobby, but Kudu trail is on the far side of the lobby from the bus stops & the Mara & pool. The walk across the lobby & through the store then down to the bus stop isn’t bad and that first ‘pod’ of rooms/villas are certainly closer to the amenities than the villas/rooms further down Kudu trail.

Thank you! That is the exact section we are thinking about... When I looked at touring plan photos, I saw many animals near watering hole/pond. I am less concerned about the view, but it will be neat for kids to wake up and see animals outside the room! How long would you say is the walk the the bus stop? Touringplan says 3 minutes to bus and 2 minutes to lobby, but based on what everyone says, it sounds like it might take longer than that.

For standard rooms, I'd request Kudu Trail. Most of those rooms have partial Savannah views. Touring Plans has a room finder that has photos of views from different rooms. They aren't always 100% accurate with room classifications, but they are pretty close.
...we've stayed in a standard room the last two visits in Zebra Trail and both times we had a view of the Uzima Savannah...

It is suppose to be finished by fall of this year but a previous poster said they are behind schedule. We were there the end of Apr. and I was told only 1 floor is finished. It was reported earlier that it was only going to be a soft refub but it's more than that! Going back in Oct. of this year and hoping it will be finished.
we go in november i truly hope its done by then

Thank you! That is the exact section we are thinking about... When I looked at touring plan photos, I saw many animals near watering hole/pond. I am less concerned about the view, but it will be neat for kids to wake up and see animals outside the room! How long would you say is the walk the the bus stop? Touringplan says 3 minutes to bus and 2 minutes to lobby, but based on what everyone says, it sounds like it might take longer than that.
I think it was no more than 5 minutes - depending on how long we dawdled in the store. We’d go across the lobby via the bridge on the 5th floor then take the front elevators down and then through the gift store and left to the bus stops.

I think it was no more than 5 minutes - depending on how long we dawdled in the store. We’d go across the lobby via the bridge on the 5th floor then take the front elevators down and then through the gift store and left to the bus stops.

That's not bad at all!!! This will definitely be a better walk than the walk to little mermaid room we had at AoA last time...

If you haven’t thought about it, maybe look at renting dvc. My fiancé and I are going to WDW for the first time in March for our honeymoon. Loved AKL but no way could we afford it for the whole week we are there. Looked into renting dvc and was able to book a studio at Jambo House Savannah view within a day of inquiring and saved thousands.

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about doing that, However the main problem of renting as another poster mentioned is that it is non refundable or changeable. And since we are going in September I don't want to book anything I cant cancel in case of hurricanes. Twice when we went in the fall we were affected by hurricanes and thankfully we still made it to WDW and it worked out but we had back up plans if we needed to change it. so I'm very hesitant!

Give WDW time. They will most likely release discounts for September 2020 (probably, not guaranteed). Then look into a standard room at Jambo. A large percentage of them are partial Savannah view, if you want to save money. They also usually cost just a little more than a room at a moderate hotel. Usually the discount is around 20-25% off rack rate.

As another poster mentioned, you can also look into renting DVC points. You can rent as early as 11 months out. It can be a significant cost savings. Just know, it's usually not refundable or changeable.

Thank you for the advice, I ended up switching to a Pool Room with a king bed because it was a bookable category. I really enjoyed the pool view I had last time and just from that alone we saved over $1200! I will def look for discounts once it gets closer and if the price is still rough we might do a split stay or like you suggested switching to Standard.

And I agree renting could save so much money, but as listed above I'm hesitant to do that.

....as an alternative, you can walk to the end of Giraffe Trail. There is a door at the end of that hallway, which leads to an outside door right at the beginning of the AKL bus depot.

Found a very good video on YouTube of the remodeled room. This is a different one than the other video that has been posted.

This video is great. BTW, the couple is living at WDW for the next year, rotating through different resorts and types of rooms. They do a video of each new room they are in (today is the Nemo suites at AoA).

Is there a bus to go from Jambo to kidani. We are staying at Jambo but have ressie at Saana. My mother uses a cane and the walk would be too much for her after a long day at the parks.

My sister got a DVC reservation in Kidani and I was only able to get one in Jambo House. Would the distance be a problem as far as meeting up in the Morning to head to a theme park together? I don’t know if they share buses or not and if she would be at one stop and then I can just hop on the same bus. I will keep my eyes open as far as one of us changing but it may be perfect that she’s in Kidani because she likes quiet and I am in Jambo and like to be in the middle of the action!

I am considering a Jambo house standard (perhaps savanna view depending on the rates) room for 2020, and I'm wondering how many rooms that are being refurbished will include bathtubs. I know that one of the earlier videos showed a refurbished room with a bathtub in the bathroom, and the user in the recent video says that there will be "some tubs", or that you can request a tub (? not sure how this works, would it just be some sort of tub that you put into the shower?) for a child, among the refurbished rooms. It sounds like they will be mostly converted to shower only from the video.

The child that I will traveling with will be 8 years old, but they aren't used to showers yet, so it would definitely affect my hotel decision if we could not get a bathtub, and I would rather not risk just requesting and not getting a room with a bathtub. I understand that the showers will probably be easier to clean (and understand the vinyl flooring will be easier to clean and that installing the dispensers in the shower for shampoo, etc., will reduce wastefulness), hence so many shower only rooms being included in the refurbishments...

....as an alternative, you can walk to the end of Giraffe Trail. There is a door at the end of that hallway, which leads to an outside door right at the beginning of the AKL bus depot.
Yes, I know & have used the ‘secret door.’ But usually I like going through the gift shop & browsing.

My sister got a DVC reservation in Kidani and I was only able to get one in Jambo House. Would the distance be a problem as far as meeting up in the Morning to head to a theme park together? I don’t know if they share buses or not and if she would be at one stop and then I can just hop on the same bus. I will keep my eyes open as far as one of us changing but it may be perfect that she’s in Kidani because she likes quiet and I am in Jambo and like to be in the middle of the action!
Usually buses heading to the parks stop at Kidani first and then Jambo. I’d probably just text each other when you are each waiting at your respective bus stops to confirm you are getting on the same bus. In the rare event that the Kidani bus completely fills and skips Jambo you can just meet up at the park. Alternatively you can walk (10 min.s) or shuttle up to Kidani and wait with your sister’s family at the Kidani stop (or vice versa, although if you wait at Kidani you are first on the bus and have the best chance of getting seats together.)
Note the DS buses usually stop at Jambo first then Kidani.

We booked a bounce back last week at POFQ and after we got home decided to try and upgrade to a deluxe and add 2 days for resort days.
I was able to modify to a Savannah view from Dec 14th to the 22nd!
This is a dream come true for me. Its been a fantasy of mine to stay at AKL since eating at Boma 16 years ago. I haven't been there since and my husband's never been there.
I feel like someone needs to pinch me.

Yes, there is a small bus that goes back and forth between Jambo and Kidani. Sanaa is so good! You will love it!
It's actually a larger type of mini bus now. Not sure exactly how many people fit but there are several rows of seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter