Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I know a lot of people don’t like the flooring they are doing in all the hotel refurbishments, but as someone who uses a manual wheelchair I couldn’t be happier with the flooring it is so much easier to get around on than the carpets were. I also think the floor will be much easier to keep clean as I’ve had to change rooms in other WDW hotels before because the carpeting smelled of mildew and mold (terrible for my asthma) from water damage. I kinda wonder how many more hotels they’ve got to do before they all have the new flooring?

I know a lot of people don’t like the flooring they are doing in all the hotel refurbishments, but as someone who uses a manual wheelchair I couldn’t be happier with the flooring it is so much easier to get around on than the carpets were. I also think the floor will be much easier to keep clean as I’ve had to change rooms in other WDW hotels before because the carpeting smelled of mildew and mold (terrible for my asthma) from water damage. I kinda wonder how many more hotels they’ve got to do before they all have the new flooring?

As someone who also has asthma and allergies, we are quite happy with the changes to non-carpet flooring.

Our last WDW stay was at CCV and the floor was great ! We also got an allergy clean of the room and it was easy to tell the floor had been freshly cleaned -- and how much easier it must be for the staff to do a thorough cleaning vs dealing with carpet.

SW

Like the hard floors, bigger TV, more storage, better coffee/fridge setup + Keurig.

Do not like removal of the sheer drapes, wallpaper and CEILING FAN.

TP is faxing my room request tomorrow. I just decided to ask for a partial savannah view and take whichever version they give us. DD really likes the old version.

So it looks like just Jambo is getting the changes for now? I cant find any info on Kidani and hoping they arent doing any in Sept.

I don't love the hard floors but understand they are more sanitary and easier for people, they just seem so "cold".

Ohhhh...yikes. I really don't like the look of the refurb. Everything looks kinda...chintzy and sparse. It always used to look/feel a little luxurious to me, like I was on a luxury safari. There also was more of a dark, elegant, subtlety to the old rooms, whereas this is really beating me over the head with Africa & The Lion King, like everywhere and with every single piece. Before, I don't know, it felt authentic (for lack of a better term) but this is way too theme-y, like in a motel where every room has a different motif and this is the Aaaaaaaafricaaaaaa rooooooom! Maybe I'll change my mind once I see it in person? Or maybe I'll just fall out of love with this resort and finally stay somewhere else?

Last edited:
I liked that this seemed to lighten up the dark rooms :D. However I did like the nets before, and I’m starting to come around a bit on the vinyl flooring instead of carpet. Not fully, but a bit.
The new room looks nice and crisp but I liked the drapes, netting and the ceiling fan. I'm really going to miss the ceiling fan! :sad1: I'm sad to see the bathroom wallpaper go, too. Change is hard! LOL!

Ohhhh...yikes. I really don't like the look of the refurb. Everything looks kinda...chintzy and sparse. It always used to look/feel a little luxurious to me, like I was on a luxury safari. There also was more of a dark, elegant, subtlety to the old rooms, whereas this is really beating me over the head with Africa & The Lion King, like everywhere and with every single piece. Before, I don't know, it felt authentic (for lack of a better term) but this is way too theme-y, like in a motel where every room has a different motif and this is the Aaaaaaaafricaaaaaa rooooooom! Maybe I'll change my mind once I see it in person? Or maybe I'll just fall out of love with this resort and finally stay somewhere else?
This makes me chuckle, because for all of the other resort refurbs “everyone” complains that they are too generic and not themed enough. I can honestly say I don’t think i’ve ever read a complaint on here about Disney making something too themed :D.

In addition, one thing that is almost universally liked is when they brighten or lighten up the dark rooms, and I don’t think i’ve ever read someone not liking that it isn’t as dark as before.

Just goes to show you that with so many different tastes, you definitely can’t please everyone!

I’m not criticizing, because obviously everyone has their own likes and dislikes, just an interesting observation before bed .

I also know, from experience with the YC rooms, that seeing one in person and staying in them is completely different from just seeing pics on the internet, so you may just end up loving them :lovestruc.

I think the new rooms are nice! We have a reservation June 11th I wonder what our chances are for a new room? It’s a standard view. Going to request Kudu trail partial Savanna view. Had a standard room last Summer in that area with a great Savanna view.

I like the new look! I wonder if they've installed the shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispensers in the shower?

I think the new rooms are nice! We have a reservation June 11th I wonder what our chances are for a new room? It’s a standard view. Going to request Kudu trail partial Savanna view. Had a standard room last Summer in that area with a great Savanna view.

For us the same. Staying May 31 for 8 nights. Hope to get a refurb room with partial Savanna view. Can anybody say how long the refurb of the room takes? till every room is ready

I like the new look! I wonder if they've installed the shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispensers in the shower?
I was put off by the thought of the dispensers when I first read about them, and a bit put off by their presence in my cabin on my RCI cruise last Oct./Nov., but by week 2 of the cruise I had adjusted and decided their presence wasn’t quite as bad as my aesthetic sensibility had feared:rotfl:

So we know which "wing" of Kudu trail has this first set of refurbed rooms...

Does anyone know

- if they did any of the DVC rooms in that wing as well, or just the hotel rooms ?

- are they planning on doing any of the Jambo DVC rooms as part of this refurb or is it only the hotel "side" of the Jambo building ?

- any kind of timeline for when they will get around to other wings ? [e.g. right now we have a pool view room booked for December... what are the chances they will have gotten those done by then ?]

Thanks !

We love the new look, and for allergy reasons would do much much better in one of the refurb rooms than a carpeted room. We are willing to change our reservation room type if needed.

SW

They are being installed with the refurb.

From the pictures of the refurbed room you can clearly see the small individual bottles. Maybe they are adding the shower ones later?

The problem with bare floors is they don't absorb sound. I hope the resort can maintain its peaceful ambiance.

So we know which "wing" of Kudu trail has this first set of refurbed rooms...

Does anyone know

- if they did any of the DVC rooms in that wing as well, or just the hotel rooms ?

- are they planning on doing any of the Jambo DVC rooms as part of this refurb or is it only the hotel "side" of the Jambo building ?

- any kind of timeline for when they will get around to other wings ? [e.g. right now we have a pool view room booked for December... what are the chances they will have gotten those done by then ?]

Thanks !

We love the new look, and for allergy reasons would do much much better in one of the refurb rooms than a carpeted room. We are willing to change our reservation room type if needed.

SW

which wing of the kudu trail ist refurb?

From the pictures of the refurbed room you can clearly see the small individual bottles. Maybe they are adding the shower ones later?

The problem with bare floors is they don't absorb sound. I hope the resort can maintain its peaceful ambiance.
I see the individual bottles of body lotion and the blue solar gel but I didn’t see any shampoo and conditioner bottles.

We just finished our seven night trip. First time staying at AKL, savanna view rooms 2417 and 2419 on the zebra trail. Most of the time we had animals in front of our room but every night from 4:30 to 6:30 the animals were fed right in front of our balcony and I don’t know how many animals are in each savanna but I would say they were all there every night. We were very close to the lobby and Boma and pool and elevators. Fantastic location for those who don’t like to walk. We did not have a sprawling view of the Savannah but we did not need it with the animals right in front of us. Also when we were on our balcony there was no privacy at all because there was a savanna viewing area right across from our room. This did not bother us at all however so we were very happy with our rooms and the view.
Every year I stay at the SOG so I was very concerned that the rooms were going to be a lot smaller but I was pleasantly surprised. There was not a lot of storage for our clothes but our suitcases fit very nicely underneath of the beds and we could just pull them out like drawers. I absolutely loved the decor. Yes it was a bit dark and yes they could’ve used a light up make up mirror but beyond that I am in love. My DS8 is obsessed with animals and we did all of the bead activities and spoke to several cultural representatives about the animals. They really took their time with my son and we learned a lot! They really make the kids work to earn their beads! I am happy to answer all the questions that I can. We were there for a full seven nights and honestly I could’ve done two weeks! The activities are endless. It was so nice to come back to AKL when we were done at the parks. The parks were extremely crowded and I definitely would’ve been OK with just staying at the resort the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter