Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I think that should be “and last 3 months”? Sept. - Dec. = 3 months rather than one. I wish it was a 1 month refurb., then it would be done when we arrive in late Nov.. I’m also concerned about what they have planned as 3 months seems a long time for a basic pool refurb. and I’ve not been impressed with the recent pool redesigns elsewhere at WDW.
Yeah, I just did a quick copy/ paste. We are staying in Nov. and got the email about the closure. What we will miss is the pool bar...that will be closed as well.

Hubby and I will be at AKL in a savanna view room Sept 9-12 to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary! He will be 4 weeks post surgery for left knee replacement and 8 weeks post surgery for having the right knee replaced so we're going to be hanging at the resort to relax. We do have reservations for anniversary dinner at Sanaa, plus breakfast at Boma and Ohana. Any recommendations for something we just can't miss.....keeping in mind that hubby isn't going to be able to walk a long way.

Hubby and I will be at AKL in a savanna view room Sept 9-12 to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary! He will be 4 weeks post surgery for left knee replacement and 8 weeks post surgery for having the right knee replaced so we're going to be hanging at the resort to relax. We do have reservations for anniversary dinner at Sanaa, plus breakfast at Boma and Ohana. Any recommendations for something we just can't miss.....keeping in mind that hubby isn't going to be able to walk a long way.

Congratulations on 40 years! Have you thought about the Wanyama Safari? I don't believe there is a lot of walking involved, it is within the safari's at AKL and then dinner at Jiko after.

Dh and I just booked AK for the 1st time for this coming December!

We booked a standard view. I know we will have a parking lot view, but any suggestions for a good location in that category? Any specific area - maybe close to buses (or not?)? And, maybe higher floors are better "views" and get you away from sounds of cars?

I know it is only a standard view, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited!

Last edited:
Dh and I just booked AK for the 1st time for this coming December!

We booked a standard view. I know we will have a parking lot view, but any suggestions for a good location in that category? Any specific area - maybe close to buses (or not?)? And, maybe higher floors are better "views" and get you away from sounds of cars?

I know it is only a standard view, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited!

There are some rooms that are classified as Standard yet have a partial savanna view. We've had good luck getting one when booked standard by requesting "partial savanna view please". Good luck!

There are some rooms that are classified as Standard yet have a partial savanna view. We've had good luck getting one when booked standard by requesting "partial savanna view please". Good luck!
Thank you so much! I will be sure to request a partial savanna view.

I've read the 1st floors don't have a balcony. Should I put in a request for a high floor?

Good Morning! I was able to snag a club level room for our 2 day trip in December. Our flight arrives at 1030 pm on our first night. Does anyone know if we would have access to food/drink if we were to arrive at say midnight? I am wondering if I should grab a snack for the kids at the airport to tide over until the morning.

Good Morning! I was able to snag a club level room for our 2 day trip in December. Our flight arrives at 1030 pm on our first night. Does anyone know if we would have access to food/drink if we were to arrive at say midnight? I am wondering if I should grab a snack for the kids at the airport to tide over until the morning.

I would grab a snack at the airport, the last service at AKL CL ends at 10pm.

Congratulations on 40 years! Have you thought about the Wanyama Safari? I don't believe there is a lot of walking involved, it is within the safari's at AKL and then dinner at Jiko after.
You walk from Jiko to the front of Jambo to board the safari truck & then back after the safari for dinner at Jiko. The couple of steps to climb into the back of the truck for the safari are a bit steep as I recall, I’m not sure how challenging that would be post knee surgery. In googling it looks like at least one of the safari trucks has a lift.

Thank you so much! I will be sure to request a partial savanna view.

I've read the 1st floors don't have a balcony. Should I put in a request for a high floor?
First floor rooms would have patios, if you look at the resort map the rooms that start w/ 1*** are first floor - there aren't very many of them, btw. The highest floor in a regular resort room will be the 4th, the lobby is on the 3rd floor. Call and ask that partial savanna view be added to your reservation, then when you do online check in don’t request anything else because if you do those online requests will override (ie: 'erase') what you called and added. The online options lately have been very generic and not resort specific.

First floor rooms would have patios, if you look at the resort map the rooms that start w/ 1*** are first floor - there aren't very many of them, btw. The highest floor in a regular resort room will be the 4th, the lobby is on the 3rd floor. Call and ask that partial savanna view be added to your reservation, then when you do online check in don’t request anything else because if you do those online requests will override (ie: 'erase') what you called and added. The online options lately have been very generic and not resort specific.

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

We'll be staying at AKV Jambo for our first night in September and set aside a morning to enjoy the resort before going over to OKW to start our package. What's the best way for 3 adults to make the most of our time here??

Sep 1 to Dec 5.
We are arriving on November 28th for 2 nights. It'll be our very first stay at AKL and we're celebrating our anniversary. A little sad about the pool situation but the weather that time of year is sketchy anyway. We've been when it was way too chilly to swim anyway (and of course I'm sure there have been those years when it's been 90 degrees)! After AKL we're moving to CR for 4 nights. Good news, the special holiday rates just saved us $120 for our 2 nights stay at AKL! We are totally relaxing (I have NEVER said that on a WDW vacation)......first day hanging at resort then visiting AK for the evening then the next day heading back to AK then back to the resort for JIKO! REally looking forward to this portion of the trip! I have learned so much from this thread. Already planning a bounce back for Dec of 2019 at AKL (we're also heading to WDW in October for a short trip to F&W). Love the holidays (all) at WDW!

Hey

We are changing our two week booking next November from CBR to AKL

Would you say two weeks here is ok and not to long. U don't get fed up of the theme etc as I no CBR is bigger ?

Just switched over to AKL Savanna View CL for 4 nights, 10/25-29. It's just the two of us, and we are requesting a king bed. How much does that limit our options? I was looking on Touring Plans, and it only comes up with two rooms of that type, but that can't be right...can it?

We have a reservation for next August. Just had a phone call from Disney saying they are discontinuing bunk bed rooms. They offered us a few alternatives but I was surprised with this news. Would have thought the bunk beds would be very popular with families.

That's sad I'm hoping for bunk beds when I check in tomorrow. I wonder if they are switching to the Murphy beds? I agree I think bunk beds are great for families. I also wonder if WL will lose theirs as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter