It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

Did not realize you were the first trip. Really hope you'll write a trip report when you get back!! That's coming up fast.
I’m planning to try to write one as we go, sort of like Calypso726. Daily updates while everything is fresh, & maybe beef it up in spots as needed after I am back...we shall see How it goes as I’ve not done one before.

Nothing for us yet.
It may be coming depending on your trip date if they have to catch up for all of the Japan trips. We are on the first one in April.
Sorry! I thought I'd said that. :) My TA did indicate that the Vacationista she talked to was pretty certain that they were doing it in order of the departures, and my departure is the second one, in May.

Sayhello

Just be warned that many airlines strongly discourage visiting/communicating between business and economy (even premium economy). In my experience, Singapore tends to be particularly strong on this.

Thank you.

I thought she would have problems coming to business cabin. But I should not have problems visiting her in Premium Economy?

Sorry! I thought I'd said that. :) My TA did indicate that the Vacationista she talked to was pretty certain that they were doing it in order of the departures, and my departure is the second one, in May.

Sayhello
We are going in April-- the Guinnea Pig first tour!----- it is nearing the 60 day mark! Many helpful tips in this thread-- thanks all, and I'll try to pay it forward with a quick report after the trip!

We are going in April-- the Guinnea Pig first tour!----- it is nearing the 60 day mark! Many helpful tips in this thread-- thanks all, and I'll try to pay it forward with a quick report after the trip!
Wowza! You must be getting excited! Honestly, I don't think it's quite sunk in that I'm going to Japan in a little over 3 months!

The nice thing this time is the 2nd departure is a full 3 weeks after your trip, so I'll be able to read your trip report before I go! :) Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Sayhello

So I talked to ABD today, and found out that our Adventure Guides have been assigned! We're going to have James and Tomomi. I know a lot of the Adventure Guides were rooting for James to get this trip because he's from Japan. Having the Guides assigned makes it seem so much more real!!! :banana:

Sayhello

An update on the Japan ABD for those familiar with the saga with my niece getting married in mid-June. We planned our flight home so that we would be back in time for the wedding.

Invitation came today and kids aren't invited to the evening reception (says evening reception is for adults only according to my sister). Well, the wedding is a 5 hour drive from our house and I'm not leaving my dd at home overnight :scared::scared:. I'm not comfortable leaving her in a hotel room alone either. My brother is going to find out what the deal is. If she can't go I may very well change our flights and spend an additional day or two at Tokyo Disney. My sister isn't very happy about the situation either (she has 3 kids):headache::headache:. I'm not sure what my niece was thinking when she did the invitations -- she knows how far away we live and that we have kids :rolleyes2:rolleyes2 and don't have anyone we can leave them with overnight.

An update on the Japan ABD for those familiar with the saga with my niece getting married in mid-June. We planned our flight home so that we would be back in time for the wedding.

Invitation came today and kids aren't invited to the evening reception (says evening reception is for adults only according to my sister). Well, the wedding is a 5 hour drive from our house and I'm not leaving my dd at home overnight :scared::scared:. I'm not comfortable leaving her in a hotel room alone either. My brother is going to find out what the deal is. If she can't go I may very well change our flights and spend an additional day or two at Tokyo Disney. My sister isn't very happy about the situation either (she has 3 kids):headache::headache:. I'm not sure what my niece was thinking when she did the invitations -- she knows how far away we live and that we have kids :rolleyes2:rolleyes2 and don't have anyone we can leave them with overnight.
Wowza! Well, if she sticks to the Adults only thing, I guess that tells you how much she wants you (or not) at her wedding! If no kids are allowed, she should provide some sort of alternative activity/care for them, knowing you're coming from out of town! Just my opinion.

Sayhello

Wowza! Well, if she sticks to the Adults only thing, I guess that tells you how much she wants you (or not) at her wedding! If no kids are allowed, she should provide some sort of alternative activity/care for them, knowing you're coming from out of town! Just my opinion.

Sayhello

According to my brother there is a separate invitation for dd and also for my sister's oldest (both will be 17 in May). However my niece did not invite my sister's younger 2 boys (15 and 12). To say my sister is upset *may* be an understatement. It seems pretty awful to invite only 1 of 3 cousins in the same family. My brother said my niece is aware that they (my sister and her family) may not come and she is fine with that. As always I am left to mediate a pending war between my brother and sister :scared:. I'm not sure if this one can be fixed as my niece isn't budging on inviting my sister's 2 youngest and my sister is digging in her heels (I definitely agree with my sister on this one -- I think it's cruel to invite the oldest girl but not the younger boys). My brother has a somewhat rocky relationship with my niece (she's very strong-willed), so he can't persuade her to invite the 2 boys. My brother suggested my sister leave the boys in a hotel room (he said the hotel is 5 minutes away), but considering he and his wife would never have done this it doesn't make sense that he's suggesting my sister do this (and she won't anyways).

I've had friends in this same situation. Honestly, (and I hate to sound like crotchety grandpa) I think it boils down to the special snowflake generation. It really is all about me, everyone else is just window dressing to make her Instagram post better. I'd just plan an extra day in Japan. You'll probably have a better time there than at a wedding with a self-centered bride.

We had a wedding in our family recently that children weren't invited to the reception or wedding. Not cool. It created similar strong feelings in our extended family. I would say if the restrictions put you in an uncomfortable spot, then I'd politely decline... wish I could be apart of your celebration, but I can't leave my daughter for that period of time. Fair enough. You can hang out with us in TDR for an extra day or two!

According to my brother there is a separate invitation for dd and also for my sister's oldest (both will be 17 in May). However my niece did not invite my sister's younger 2 boys (15 and 12). To say my sister is upset *may* be an understatement. It seems pretty awful to invite only 1 of 3 cousins in the same family. My brother said my niece is aware that they (my sister and her family) may not come and she is fine with that. As always I am left to mediate a pending war between my brother and sister :scared:. I'm not sure if this one can be fixed as my niece isn't budging on inviting my sister's 2 youngest and my sister is digging in her heels (I definitely agree with my sister on this one -- I think it's cruel to invite the oldest girl but not the younger boys). My brother has a somewhat rocky relationship with my niece (she's very strong-willed), so he can't persuade her to invite the 2 boys. My brother suggested my sister leave the boys in a hotel room (he said the hotel is 5 minutes away), but considering he and his wife would never have done this it doesn't make sense that he's suggesting my sister do this (and she won't anyways).
As I said, I think that gives a clear indication of what her priorities are, and how much she does/doesn't want to attend. My youngest brother's son got married in January, and he forgot to invite me (when I questioned in December when the wedding was going to be, it was "Oops! I thought we invited everyone!" I politely declined that one.) It was Brooklyn, outside ceremony, dead of winter. I just didn't feel it was worth the effort to make arrangements less than a month out for a wedding they forgot to invite me to.

So go ahead and enjoy your time at Tokyo Disneyland Resort. As @aggiedog said, you'll probably enjoy it more. And if you're not going, just bow out of the family drama!

I've had friends in this same situation. Honestly, (and I hate to sound like crotchety grandpa) I think it boils down to the special snowflake generation. It really is all about me, everyone else is just window dressing to make her Instagram post better. I'd just plan an extra day in Japan. You'll probably have a better time there than at a wedding with a self-centered bride.
I so agree with this!

We had a wedding in our family recently that children weren't invited to the reception or wedding. Not cool. It created similar strong feelings in our extended family. I would say if the restrictions put you in an uncomfortable spot, then I'd politely decline... wish I could be apart of your celebration, but I can't leave my daughter for that period of time. Fair enough. You can hang out with us in TDR for an extra day or two!
I think this totally sounds like the way to go!! Are you guys on the same departure? :)

Sayhello

I'm sorry this is so off topic but I'm going to take the contrary position. I had been left out of an aunt's wedding (age 4-prime flower girl age!) and so when I got married I made sure to invite all children, had 4 flower girls, etc. Well...my (then) SIL brought her 8 month old infant who had recently been ill with a virus. I was violently ill the day after my wedding, as was my maid of honor, and flights/trips, etc were cancelled. The B&B where we held the wedding had to close (the owners got ill as well) and we had to pay extra for that. It was kind of a nightmare. Ex-SIL still swears it wasn't her child. Nineteen years later I still shudder at the memory and photos of ex nephew makes me green.:crazy2:

After that experience I am much more sympathetic to allowing people to invite whom they want for whatever reason they want. It's their day, after all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter