It's different than the old days

one_cat

Jack, you have debauched my sloth.
My cousin just posted that she is going to wdw for the very first time - next month. My heart dropped. Has anyone had that experience? WDW these days not a place you just show up and wing it. I told her to call me so I could at least try to give her a lifeline considering she is staying offsite and is within 30 days of her "lifetime" trip. It's definitely not like the old days where you could figure everything out once you arrived. :(

Sure it is! Granted your cousin will not see everything and will not get to eat in the in-demand restaurants and will have to wait in lines for rides, but there is so much fun to be had on a just-wing-it trip.

She won't experience a trip your way but she will have a terrific "lifetime" trip!

I've known a few people who went without any prep who claimed they had the time of their life am got to do everything they wanted to at least once. I always figured they had not expected much.

I remember a WDW visit way back in March of 1987 with DH an my 2 DD's.....there was only 2 parks MK an Epcot we had no idea what to expect. DH said LOOK a short line for the Land when we'd went into the Land Pavillion for lunch got us in the line for the Land 3 hours later we got lunch I was so PO'd I couldn't see straight. WE DID NOT ENJOY THAT VISIT!

We did not return to WDW until May of 1998 after the days of internet and believe me I did my homework and told DH let me plan this show you how WDW can be. HE WAS VERY PLEASED that lead to more WDW visits than I can remember.

I can not imagine anyone goin to WDW without preparing for it.

My cousin just posted that she is going to wdw for the very first time - next month. My heart dropped. Has anyone had that experience? WDW these days not a place you just show up and wing it. I told her to call me so I could at least try to give her a lifeline considering she is staying offsite and is within 30 days of her "lifetime" trip. It's definitely not like the old days where you could figure everything out once you arrived. :(
She will be fine.

Every year in late April/early May, we head to Disney for a huge cheer competition and wing it. We don't get our park tickets till we get there from the USASF, so can't make any prior plans. And our gym always stays offsite since we refuse to stay in the craziness of Allstars. We always manage to find a ton of rides and we get fast passes with the app with only a couple of days leeway. It may not be the absolute most popular of popular rides, although more times than not we get lucky. And if we really, really have to ride something we just wait in line. We really wanted to ride the mine train in April but there was never a fast pass available. It said a 180 minute wait but ended up less than an hour. Not really a big deal for one ride we wanted to ride. And we always have fun. Disney does not have to be the do or die vacation that diehard planners prefer. You can wing it and still have a great time.

I would not be trying to take over her trip, that would annoy the hell out of me. She obviously knows you have been a ton and if she hasn't asked for help yet, respect that.

We went in October on a whim with a few weeks to plan. It can really be no big darn deal. We had no issues getting ADRs or FP either, except for SDD, and the kids honestly give no hoots about TS, so that was easy, we didn't either bother. We literally never waited more than like 10 minutes with refreshing the app. Don't make it a big a deal. There are same day FPs and ADRs. Disboarders just go to extremes. You know what else? (Hold on to your pearls.) We've never made a RD, or even tried except for the first day. Don't worry about it. You heart shouldn't drop. She'll have a great time.

We went in October on a whim with a few weeks to plan. It can really be no big darn deal. We had no issues getting ADRs or FP either, except for SDD, and the kids honestly give no hoots about TS, so that was easy, we didn't either bother. We literally never waited more than like 10 minutes with refreshing the app. Don't make it a big a deal. There are same day FPs and ADRs. Disboarders just go to extremes. You know what else? (Hold on to your pearls.) We've never made a RD, or even tried except for the first day. Don't worry about it. You heart shouldn't drop. She'll have a great time.
I agree. DH & I did a couple of days at WDW between cruises once. While we did book a couple of FPs we just winged it. Including Avatar a couple of months after it opened. Yes, we did the rope drop thing, but we're early risers so it wasn't bad for us.

Beyond that we just decided at the moment where to go/do next.

Had a great time.

I agree. DH & I did a couple of days at WDW between cruises once. While we did book a couple of FPs we just winged it. Including Avatar a couple of months after it opened. Yes, we did the rope drop thing, but we're early risers so it wasn't bad for us.

Beyond that we just decided at the moment where to go/do next.

Had a great time.

We planned our first trip this year perfectly. We just threw out most of those plans on the fly:) Winging it is the best way! You can truly just do what you want with the app. We had way more fun on the second trip when I knew no one was doing RD, and late night dinners were best. There are all kinds of ways to do WDW. It doesn't have to just be one specific way:)

If it's her first time there I don't see any issues. Frankly, until you see the various restaurants, you probably have no idea where you want to eat anyway so making reservations weeks in advance isn't practical. Some enjoy planning the trip as much as actually going.

Last edited:

That is absolutely not true. There are plenty of people who are very detailed with planning, but it is not a requirement and you absolutely 100% can show up and figure it out once you arrive. That's how we do it every time, and we stay offsite too (which for us is the only way we'd go). Yes, we're park veterans now, but even in our first visit that's how we did it. We've always had a magnificent time. I'd suggest to your cousin that she read up a bit on how the FP+ system works, but beyond that don't let your heart drop too far. They'll be fine.

We know a family that just went on a whim and came home almost belligerent towards us. "What do you see in Disney World?" "What an awful place!" "We had to wait in so many lines, even to eat". They stayed offsite and complained about the traffic getting to the parks. They had planned to go back to their condo several times a day to eat and rest. That didn't happen (with traffic, their condo was a 1/2 hour away). Their "Big Meal" was going to be in The Castle with Cinderella. But they made no reservations. Just thought they would wing it and walk up when hungry:headache:

They had a miserable time and won't be back.

At the very least, maybe talk to your cousin about a few dining reservations and Fast Pass.

We know a family that just went on a whim and came home almost belligerent towards us. "What do you see in Disney World?" "What an awful place!" "We had to wait in so many lines, even to eat". They stayed offsite and complained about the traffic getting to the parks. They had planned to go back to their condo several times a day to eat and rest. That didn't happen (with traffic, their condo was a 1/2 hour away). Their "Big Meal" was going to be in The Castle with Cinderella. But they made no reservations. Just thought they would wing it and walk up when hungry:headache:

They had a miserable time and won't be back.

At the very least, maybe talk to your cousin about a few dining reservations and Fast Pass.

This is exactly what I have experienced with firs timers but otoh, I have had friends come back and say they had a great time with no real plans.

Sometimes it’s a difference in the people and sometimes it’s a difference in one’s definition of “winging it”.

Planning some meals and fp+ but not having a spreadsheet with bathroom breaks on it, is still planning.

Winging it by showing up at the gates, buying tickets that day and not having a clue what to do once they enter, most people aren’t going to enjoy.

Winging it by showing up at the gates, buying tickets that day and not having a clue what to do once they enter, most people aren’t going to enjoy.

Generally speaking, you're probably right. However, I think the key to this is if people have a basic understanding of how WDW works. You don't need to do hours of research, but at least get the idea. If you walk up to the gates expecting to just walk onto any ride you want whenever you want and get a table at any restaurant at any time, you'll be sadly disappointed. Heck, that's true even at Six Flags (at least the ride part, they don't have fancy restaurants). But if you have a working understanding of FP+, that QS is an option, etc...then you definitely can show up at the gates with no plan and enjoy it. I could get in my car now, drive down, buy a ticket and just have a ball. No plan needed...in fact, no plan is wanted.

I think she will be fine as long as she knows what to expect. It's not too late to get some FP+ and some ADR, they just might not be for the prime stuff. Make sure she knows that she can modify FP+ on the fly and get more of them as soon as she uses the first 3. Let her know about ADR cancellation fees in case she misses that detail and to use that to her advantage to check day of for any last minute cancellations that she might want to grab. You can still have a great time going to less popular rides and shows or eating at off times.

OP - You've already been kinda forceful (IMO, but I'm very much a MYOB type) by telling her to call you so you can give her a "lifeline." I know the spirit is good, but if someone said that to me...I'm not calling. Don't push it, ok? It could cause some hurt feelings. She hasn't asked you up until now, so pushing further might not be the way to go. Are you super close to this cousin? Again, I'm sure your cousin will have a ball!

She'll figure it out, so I'd leave it alone. As much as I love WDW one of the things I dislike the most about it now is all the pre-planning. I remember going in the '80's and just show up and have the parks to ourselves. Of course there were only 2 parks at that time. As I've grown older I've realized that I have a love/hate relationship with a number of things in life, profession, employer, alma mater etc. It is the way of life, rarely do you have 100% good points and 0% bad. This is why we enjoy US as an alternative from time to time.

It's still possible to get a lot done with last minute planning/controlling expectations. Last year we went to MK the day after Christmas. Got our tickets online Christmas day (so that was when we could reserve FP). We still ended up seeing/doing:

BTMRR
Pluto M&G
Pirates
Small World
Stitch's Escape
Stitch M&G
Monster's Laugh Floor
People Mover
Carousel of Progress
Train
Space Mountain
Lunch, Dole Whips, Ice cream, some shopping.

We were in the park for 11 hours. Obviously we missed some "big names", but we've done most of MK before (this is what I mean by controlling expectations).

I know that's what we accomplished because I texted my mom the list that evening.

OP, I would let them know you're available if they have questions, but then that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter