It's been a long time...

MBW

Mouseketeer
I first joined this board in 2001 after our eldest son was diagnosed with autism. We planned a trip for our daughter's birthday (mid-Sept.) and were concerned how Sam, 3, and his younger brother, Jonah, who was also displaying autistic tendencies at 21 months, would handle the parks. The information I received here was so incredibly helpful, and made for a successful trip, despite the fact that we we arrived at Disney on Sept. 12th, 2001. (We drove rather than flew).

I've always been disappointed that there haven't been more websites which offer information on vacationing with neurologically exceptional children - I guess we're expected to just send our kids off to special needs summer camp, rather than vacation together. Well, my husband and I have decided to remedy that.

Starting in late April - early May, we are selling our lovely home in Portland, Maine, and beginning a six month journey around the US with our four children, ages 2.5 - 8, two of whom have autism. Of course our trip will take us to Disney World (maybe even Disneyland), but we'd like to see many other places as well. Our goal is to write a book and travel guide based on our experiences, specifically for families with with ASD and other neurological and developmental disorders. We've begun a blog (triptowonderful.blogspot.com) and will be adding forums similiar to the DisBoards (since we love them so), but on travel around the world for ASD/MR/DS kids.

Anyway, I remember some familiar names and lots of new ones, but hope you all don't mind if I pick your brains from time to time, particularly on making Disney World a wonderful experience for our kids, despite the changes in the GAC.

(Btw, our plan is to vacation at Disney once again in September. I can't imagine the crowds being as small as the ones in Sept., 2001, but I expect they'll still be managable for our kids.)

Great idea! My DS is 5 and has ASD. I agree that there isn't much info out there for us! Good luck to you in your journey!

What a fantastic idea! :sunny: There is definitely a need for this, and hopefully your experiences will give other families with ASD kids the confidence to get out and about. I hope you have a wonderful time researching it, and best of luck. I look forward to reading all about it.

Awesome idea.

I research all the time about it. My Mom actually is my main feed line though. She was an teacher and worked with testing special needs kids.

Even though she knows all about it, she still has the occasional slip up on the "good" and the "bad". He was visiting her this summer and she took him to IMAX. Not good. She felt so guilty. I told her don't, we are only human. I still mess up on things I know could set him off. I don't use the common sense given to me sometimes. But I know to get out of the situation quickly.

I would love to read the book and visit your website. Good luck in all your ventures!!

You guys are great. Thanks for the warm welcome back. Ironically, today I ran into my first snarky naysayer, and I probably overreacted. People can't help if they're ignorant regarding the potential of autistic children. But I do think that this is one reason more of us don't venture out as much as we might want. When the sabotage comes from a loved one, and not a mere stranger, as in my case today, it makes it all the more difficult.

Two steps forward, one back. Guess I should blog about it so other PoA (parents of autistics) realise it happens to all of us from time to time.

Thank you all again. I'll be here to steal, er, borrow all your great tips. ;)

This is the kind of thing that people sometimes think of doing, but never get around to it.
Sounds really awesome.
Good luck and lots of pixie dust on your family's adventure.
Keep us posted!

I LOVE this idea !!! My DS is 14, and we take him all over. We are careful, but if we want to go someplace we just figure a way that he will be happy too. I see a great market for your book, and if you want to hear our experiences I'd be more than happy to help.

Good Luck on your families trip. The book sounds wonderful. My DS (14) was just recently dx with AS. He hates to leave the house with the exception of going to Disney. Wants to go there every day.

Wow I think that is absolutely amazing. Maybe we should have a book signing at WDW. Put me on the gonna get it as soon as it comes out list!

Great plan! It seems like it is very easy to find lots of info on physical disabilities, but not developmental or cognitive ones. My son has Down Syndrome.

LisaB

Lisa, have you been to Disney yet with your son? I really want the book and website to include issues relating to DS as well. I've asked a blogging friend (Michael Berube) to help out, as he has a teenage son with DS, but would really love input from as many parents with DS children as I can get.

Please feel free to email me with any suggestions or stories at my home email at wampum@maine.rr.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter