It's a Jolly Holiday Surprise! December 2014 - Trip Report

We have gone every year since 2008 at Christmas time and it is AMAZING! You guys will have a blast!! And you are totally NOT crazy for planning so early :thumbsup2

I love how detailed your plan is! I would for sure add a giant gingerbread cookie to your snack list. They are SO yummy! I have to get one every trip :goodvibes

I don't know how into Santa your kids are, but the Santa on BVS is awesome! This Santa reminds me of the Santa display from The Christmas Story (but the Santa is not scary looking at all like in the movie, LOL). He's been great with my not so sure about Santa kids and the photos are wonderful. Plus, the line usually isn't too long.

We also love to grab a treat and sit on Main Street and enjoy it. All of us just love the Christmas music they play on Main street. It's gorgeous and even more so at night with all the lights on:goodvibes

We have gone every year since 2008 at Christmas time and it is AMAZING! You guys will have a blast!! And you are totally NOT crazy for planning so early :thumbsup2 I love how detailed your plan is! I would for sure add a giant gingerbread cookie to your snack list. They are SO yummy! I have to get one every trip :goodvibes I don't know how into Santa your kids are, but the Santa on BVS is awesome! This Santa reminds me of the Santa display from The Christmas Story (but the Santa is not scary looking at all like in the movie, LOL). He's been great with my not so sure about Santa kids and the photos are wonderful. Plus, the line usually isn't too long. We also love to grab a treat and sit on Main Street and enjoy it. All of us just love the Christmas music they play on Main street. It's gorgeous and even more so at night with all the lights on:goodvibes

Awesome ideas - thanks so much!

Following along! We're going to be there 12/7-12/14. Staying offsite at DI&S as we plan on purchasing APs this trip then making a return trip in 9/15, for my daughters 3rd and 6th birthdays. I figure if we buy the APs now and have a cheaper hotel, we will spring for the DL Hotel in September for the birthday trip and go all out then. We just went 9/13 and 10/11 so it hasn't been that long since our last trip but I've been starting to plan this one since we returned from our last trip. I've never been for the Christmas season but the last two trips were during Halloween time and I loved it so I imagine the Christmas season is just incredibly magical there!

Following along! We're going to be there 12/7-12/14. Staying offsite at DI&S as we plan on purchasing APs this trip then making a return trip in 9/15, for my daughters 3rd and 6th birthdays. I figure if we buy the APs now and have a cheaper hotel, we will spring for the DL Hotel in September for the birthday trip and go all out then. We just went 9/13 and 10/11 so it hasn't been that long since our last trip but I've been starting to plan this one since we returned from our last trip. I've never been for the Christmas season but the last two trips were during Halloween time and I loved it so I imagine the Christmas season is just incredibly magical there!

Lucky you! I wish I could do APs but I'm so excited to at least have this trip! So fun - I'll be there the same time as you !

Lucky you! I wish I could do APs but I'm so excited to at least have this trip! So fun - I'll be there the same time as you !

Since we only have to buy 3 (youngest will be 2) it's only $600 more for us to upgrade, then getting the extra discounts in the park will probably save $50-$100. That's why we are staying at the DI&S at only $90/night. What we save in hotel is covering the upgrade! We're from Oregon so we won't get to use them more than twice but we still come out ahead since both trips will have 6 park days.

Okay I've just about decided to add the Holiday tour to my plans. Can anyone tell me what rides are included in this? I know we will get good seats for the Christmas parade and I'm assuming HM and IASW - but someone mentioned that the holiday tour includes 3 rides so I just want to know. Also what weekday would you do the tour - Tuesday wednesday or thursday? thanks!

So I made a decision tonight and went ahead with it! I bought myself an AP and 5-day park hoppers for the rest of my family through way.com. I hope I won't regret the decision, but I think its going to save us some money! I also got a deal on plane tickets so I purchased them tonight too! ($99 per person each way - I wasn't sure if I would find it less than that)

Now to figure out a AP rate for the DLH! Every time I start to plan for this trip I get so excited and then I get depressed because its still 6 months away!

So today I purchased my Disney Gift Cards for dining and souvenirs! I also purchased photopass+.

All I have left to purchase/save up for is the hotel at the AP rate, the holiday tour at ap discount, money for the kids to visit Pinocchios Workshop (so DH and I can have a nice dinner alone, and any cash for extras and tips.

Oh and I'm still debating about purchasing the F! Dessert package! I just can't decide! Any advice?

Hi DeDe, we are in the early stages of planning and like you I am a DETAILED planner and try to get as much bought/done/planned out as early as possible. We are staying at the GCH and going to be at DLR for 3 days (12/13-12/15) staying at the HoJo the night before DLR on 12/12 :) I will have to do a PTR too so we can compare notes- I am also thinking about the WOC dinner options (although leaning away from it) for the seating, the F! dessert option as well as the holiday tour possibly for the parade seats. I have a DH, mom, DD7 and a newborn in tow with me then so not sure how it will all go but I figure I will stick to a plan and if we have to deviate then we will fly by the seat of our pants from there haha I'm FAR too much of a type A personality not to have EVERY detail planned beforehand, although I'm mellow enough to know with kids especially a newborn (due in Sept) that we will have some changes and hardships lol We won our DLR tickets and GCH two night stay so since I can't go to DLR pregnant due to medical issues we have to use our trip by 12/15, so our DS will have a very early first DLR experience lol Hopefully we can bounce ideas off each other while planning since we are both planners and are going around the same time! Amelia

Hi DeDe, we are in the early stages of planning and like you I am a DETAILED planner and try to get as much bought/done/planned out as early as possible. We are staying at the GCH and going to be at DLR for 3 days (12/13-12/15) staying at the HoJo the night before DLR on 12/12 :) I will have to do a PTR too so we can compare notes- I am also thinking about the WOC dinner options (although leaning away from it) for the seating, the F! dessert option as well as the holiday tour possibly for the parade seats. I have a DH, mom, DD7 and a newborn in tow with me then so not sure how it will all go but I figure I will stick to a plan and if we have to deviate then we will fly by the seat of our pants from there haha I'm FAR too much of a type A personality not to have EVERY detail planned beforehand, although I'm mellow enough to know with kids especially a newborn (due in Sept) that we will have some changes and hardships lol We won our DLR tickets and GCH two night stay so since I can't go to DLR pregnant due to medical issues we have to use our trip by 12/15, so our DS will have a very early first DLR experience lol Hopefully we can bounce ideas off each other while planning since we are both planners and are going around the same time! Amelia

Hi Amelia - thanks for following along! In so glad I'm not the only planner! I'm so excited for this trip and it just can't get here soon enough for me! That's so exciting that you won your trip! So great! You'll have to let me know when you start your TR - is love to bounce ideas with you!

For the holiday tour you get to ride Jingle Cruise, Haunted Mansion Holiday, and It's a Small World. We take the afternoon tour which ends with seats for the evening holiday parade right in front of IASW which is all lit up. They bring us cocoa and a gingerbread cookie. It is so magical. I hope you like it.

UPDATE: 86 days!!! I can't believe we have made it this far! I have been planning this surprise family trip since February and we have come a long ways! Its almost Fall which I totally love so its coming up quickly.

At first I did a ton of planning and replanning. Then over the summer I kind of stopped thinking about it too much since we had family drama. But now I am getting back to it again.

I have almost everything paid for and plane tickets bought, shuttle bought, DLH booked (only paid deposit-hoping for a discount as we get closer as this is where I still need to save up a bit more), and gift cards bought for souvenirs and dining. Now is the really fun part - I gotta plan out our days and any fun extra surprises! I think its going to be here before I know it!

Hi. I am loving your Planning and can not wait to see your trip unfold. I am also planning a trip with my DH, DD-5 and DS-7 months for this Christmas Season as a Christmas surprise, (November 30-December 6). We have AP's as well, correction my husband and our 5 year old do. Mine will expire on October 1st. I let mine expire as my husband needed a new phone and had some issues come up that needed splurging on our part. Let me tell you the AP is so nice. We love having them. keep an eye out for special AP things that may pop up as the season nears. Can't wait to see your family enjoy Christmas.

UPDATE: 52 Days to go!!!

I'm so excited that its getting so close! I made all my dining reservations this week - eek so much fun! I also made an appointment for my daughter at the new Anna and Elsa Boutique in DTD - she will be thrilled! Also made an appointment for my kids for the special Build a Bear experience before it opens.

Excited about finding a thread about keeping organized and am in the process of creating a half binder with all my trip stuff! It will be so handy to have it all in one place! Thanks to EscapeDisney for sharing her ideas!

I'm an Origami Owl designer and I'm so excited about creating Disneyish/Holiday Lanyard lockets for me and my daughter to wear during our Disney Vacation and hold our tickets and such! Beth's locket is going to be all about Frozen and mine is going to be Holiday themed with a touch of Disney! Interested? Contact me at dedesmith32@gmail.com or go to designzbydede.origamiowl.com!

BuUuR32IAAE2vvg.jpg

Hi. I am loving your Planning and can not wait to see your trip unfold. I am also planning a trip with my DH, DD-5 and DS-7 months for this Christmas Season as a Christmas surprise, (November 30-December 6). We have AP's as well, correction my husband and our 5 year old do. Mine will expire on October 1st. I let mine expire as my husband needed a new phone and had some issues come up that needed splurging on our part. Let me tell you the AP is so nice. We love having them. keep an eye out for special AP things that may pop up as the season nears. Can't wait to see your family enjoy Christmas.

Are you doing a trip report? I'd love to follow along! Its getting so close for both of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter