Hanging up my running shoes

Good luck with the low carb - I hope it works out well for you again! I keep trying to post accountability stuff on my journal and then I don't, so I'm interested to see how staying accountable here helps you (and maybe that will motivate me to stop eating the chocolate and start being accountable :)).

Also ... drink more water!

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. :)

And...32 ounces of water down just in time for me to leave work!

giphy.gif

I'm horrible about drinking water too, but I found this water bottle (Hidrate Spark) that can sync to my phone and sets a consumption goal based on how many steps I take per day (it syncs with Apple Health). It was way more than I want to spend on a water bottle, but I am so goal oriented that it has worked so far! I've had it two months and have only had two days where I did not hit my goal!

I'm horrible about drinking water too, but I found this water bottle (Hidrate Spark) that can sync to my phone and sets a consumption goal based on how many steps I take per day (it syncs with Apple Health). It was way more than I want to spend on a water bottle, but I am so goal oriented that it has worked so far! I've had it two months and have only had two days where I did not hit my goal!

that sounds really cool!

FOOD/WATER DIARY
tenor.gif

With bonus

idjut.gif

Yesterday was a crazy day, so no chance to update, so here's two days worth! :D

8/14

Weight - -1.6 (I weigh everyday which means daily fluctuations - I never put much stock in these big daily swings but just try to watch overall trend)
Pounds to go - 7.0
Carbs - 37
Calories -1066
Exercise calorie debit - 0
Net daily calories - 1066
Water - 52 oz

8/15
Weight - -0.4
Pounds to go - 8.2
Carbs - 29
Calories -1171
Net daily calories - 1171
Water - 48 oz

So, doing really well, but I think I paid a price this morning. We had to delay our Daniels T run until today and it was a mess. We were to do 1.5 miles WU and then 2 x 1.75 miles at T pace with 4 minute RI and then 1.5 miles CD. T+D = 140. We didn't pace adjust like we should have and by the end of the first T interval I was not doing great. That was when we realized we'd brought no water with us.

giphy-downsized.gif

So, we attempted the next 1.75 mile T interval but at half a mile, my head started pounding and I just realized it wasn't smart to keep pushing. We slowed down and just took it easy and rounded out at 5 miles. What a disappointment. It's the first speed based interval we've done where I couldn't complete it on pace. I guess the combination of the heat and no fluids and probably 3 days of reduced calories and carbs caught up to me. Blech. I know better and yet made a lot of stupid mistakes. So, I'm upping my water intake goal to 64 oz for the day (low-carbs means you body doesn't retain fluids as well so you need to drink more) and being sure I'm controlling the carbs, but not at the expense of so few calories. We both drank some electrolytes when we got home and a scrambled egg, so I'm feeling much better now.

RgC3.gif

Coach, @DopeyBadger , so we were originally going to do this Daniels pace yesterday, but it was thunderstorming in the morning, so we couldn't do it. Today was just supposed to be 4 easy miles but we opted to do the T pace run instead. So, tomorrow is normally a rest day, but we thought maybe we'd do our 4 miles easy tomorrow. Saturday is 6 easy and Sunday is 9 easy + 3 at M Tempo. What do you think?

Coach, @DopeyBadger , so we were originally going to do this Daniels pace yesterday, but it was thunderstorming in the morning, so we couldn't do it. Today was just supposed to be 4 easy miles but we opted to do the T pace run instead. So, tomorrow is normally a rest day, but we thought maybe we'd do our 4 miles easy tomorrow. Saturday is 6 easy and Sunday is 9 easy + 3 at M Tempo. What do you think?

First thought is that you probably shouldn't have done the T pace at all on Thursday. We moved it from Tues to Wed, which was ok. But moving it from Wed to Thurs put it much closer to the Sunday 12 mile max with 3 mile M Tempo on it. That's a pretty tough workout. So I am a bit concerned that the T today got a little closer to it. I think I would have opted to do the 4.5 mile Easy/LR and just skipped the Daniels T for the week. You may consider doing the following now to finish out the week:

Friday - OFF
Saturday - 6 miles Easy/LR
Sunday - 10 miles Easy/LR

Then, proceed as normal until the 9/2 Sunday workout of 12 miles Easy/LR. Let's now change that to a 9 mile Easy/LR + 3 mile M Tempo.

The reason for the change in this weekend's run is because whenever you go through an episode as you described above from today's run you may have red-lined. So I'd like to take a few extra easy days before pushing it again. Better safe than sorry.

Thoughts?

First thought is that you probably shouldn't have done the T pace at all on Thursday. We moved it from Tues to Wed, which was ok. But moving it from Wed to Thurs put it much closer to the Sunday 12 mile max with 3 mile M Tempo on it. That's a pretty tough workout. So I am a bit concerned that the T today got a little closer to it. I think I would have opted to do the 4.5 mile Easy/LR and just skipped the Daniels T for the week. You may consider doing the following now to finish out the week:

Friday - OFF
Saturday - 6 miles Easy/LR
Sunday - 10 miles Easy/LR

Then, proceed as normal until the 9/2 Sunday workout of 12 miles Easy/LR. Let's now change that to a 9 mile Easy/LR + 3 mile M Tempo.

The reason for the change in this weekend's run is because whenever you go through an episode as you described above from today's run you may have red-lined. So I'd like to take a few extra easy days before pushing it again. Better safe than sorry.

Thoughts?

We can make that work. Did we really sabotage our training? :guilty:

We can make that work. Did we really sabotage our training? :guilty:

Not at all. We are just making a minor adjustment to keep you guys safe and not overloaded. The hard day is still there but just moved down the schedule. Essentially just swapped the 12 milers and made one 10 instead to account for the mileage difference. You'll barely even know the difference come race day.

Did we really sabotage our training? :guilty:

I'm not @DopeyBadger, but ... No.

Last plan I made some changes and adjustments. It didn't ruin anything. The training schedule you get from Coach is an ideal, but you can still make it work even if things change a little. The key is to know when to make the adjustments (or when to ask for adjustments) and just roll with the punches.

Last plan I made some changes and adjustments. It didn't ruin anything. The training schedule you get from Coach is an ideal, but you can still make it work even if things change a little. The key is to know when to make the adjustments (or when to ask for adjustments) and just roll with the punches.

Absolutely this. Life happens, and almost everyone makes adjustments along the way. And that means all the great successes came from people who had to make adjustments. It's a big picture thing. No one run defines the whole training cycle. It's the cumulative effect of all the training runs put together that creates the race day story.

Not at all. We are just making a minor adjustment to keep you guys safe and not overloaded. The hard day is still there but just moved down the schedule. Essentially just swapped the 12 milers and made one 10 instead to account for the mileage difference. You'll barely even know the difference come race day.

Absolutely this. Life happens, and almost everyone makes adjustments along the way. And that means all the great successes came from people who had to make adjustments. It's a big picture thing. No one run defines the whole training cycle. It's the cumulative effect of all the training runs put together that creates the race day story.

OK. Phew. Thanks you guys!! :love:

FOOD/DIARY UPDATE
giphy.gif

8/16
Weight - -3.4 (Yeah, that's some water weight right there!)
Pounds to go - 5.2
Carbs - 46
Calories -1378
Exercise calorie debit - 519
Net daily calories - 859
Water - 64 oz

Good day!

giphy.gif

TRAINING UPDATE
8/13/18 - 8/19-18
Sometimes training camp is tough!
original.gif

So, as already mentioned, we sort of made a mess of this training week, so I will try not to belabor that point. First week of school for my kids (and new superintendent husband) made it challenging as well. We finished out the week though and now hopefully on to a better one this week.

And, Chicago is starting to loom
LARGE!!! 48 days, y'all. EEK!! How did that happen?

giphy4.gif

OK, no panic, but it's awfully close now, yes?

Monday 8/13 - Continuous run. Scheduled to be 4.5 miles. BUT, Sophie had to be at school at 6 AM to cook a breakfast for the faculty and staff as part of FCCLA, so no way we could get that in, so we shortened it to 3 miles. No problem with this one. Pace 11:13.
Tuesday 8/14 - Originally supposed to be our Daniels T run, but plan was to move it to Wednesday as Chris had and early start and long day this day.
Wednesday 8/15 - Major thunderstorms so no run. We've been having drought conditions, but the last two weeks have been a ton of rain. We needed it, but man, I'm getting really tired of rain!!
tenor.gif

Thursday 8/16 - As already detailed above, huge fail here. Totally should have talked to Billy before trying this T pace this late in the week. The temps and humidity weren't great but I honestly think it was our transition to the low-carb that killed me. It takes a couple of weeks for your body to adapt better and this was probably too hard a run right at like the 3 day mark on the new diet. I've done smarter things in my life.
ScaryHomelyCrocodileskink-small.gif

Friday 8/17 - We were going to do an easy 4.5 miles here, but Billy advised us to rest and change our weekend runs as well to make up for my brilliant move on Thursday.
Saturday 8/18 - 6 miles at Easy/LR pace. This was a great run, just felt nice and easy the whole way. It went by fast. Pace 12:20.
Sunday 8/19 - 10 miles at Easy/LR pace. Pretty easy again. A bit fatigued at the end, but overall a good run. Pace 12:25. Added bonus we ran through my favorite park and it was in full-on summer bloom.

Oh! And, we did yoga Sunday night!! Woohoo. Took it nice and easy so we didn't strain anything, but it felt amazing!

Diet/accountability post to follow!

That park is beautiful! What a lovely place to run.

It's a fantastic park. There's an attached Japanese stroll garden with koi ponds too, but it doesn't open until later in the day. The section that is their butterfly garden had more monarch butterflies than I could count. Lovely!

Dear Diet Diary
1cfu.gif

Few days to catch up on. It's still going pretty well. Failed a bit on Saturday (8/18) since we had some good friends who came to visit for the weekend. Had some libations and some delicious fresh fruit out lounging in the sun, so pushed those carbs up a bit. But still going well!

8/17
Weight - -2.4 lbs
Pounds to go - 6.2
Carbs - 18
Calories -1258
Net daily calories - 1258
Water - 64 oz

8/18
Weight - -2.8 lbs
Pounds to go - 5.8
Carbs - 114
Calories -2116
Exercise calorie debit - 652
Net daily calories - 1464
Water - 64 oz

8/19
Weight - Forgot to weigh

Pounds to go - ???
Carbs - 67
Calories -1167
Exercise calorie debit - 1087
Net daily calories - 80 (Oops. I guess I should have eaten a bit more!)
Water - 70 oz

Doing well overall. This week will have some difficulties. Out for lunch today at a place that isn't awesome for carb control and this coming weekend going to the lake with friends and that will mean more libations and likely some carb eating. But, I'll just do the best I can on the days I can do it!

Last edited:
Those gardens are beautiful! And those butterflies... :love: I'm glad it worked to rearrange your running schedule!

Way to go on a great low carb week!! Please share what you eat for lunch and snacks :) I need ideas!

Great job with the low carb! Even when it's not easy (like when you eat out certain places), just do your best and balance it out by doing better the rest of the time. Same goes with running - even when you make training oopsies, don't let it bother you, just do better next week.

OMG I can't believe how close Chicago is! You're going to crush that marathon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter