Italy: Viva Italia Meets Thread

On our first ABD (Viva Italia) in 2008 we stayed in the Bernini Bristol in Piazza Barberini, which is pretty much center of the city. Walking to local areas of interest was simple. On our 2018 trip we stayed in the Gran Melia which is further out. Still, we walked down the hill and enjoyed our pre-tour arrival day starting with the Camp D'Fiori. I had read about it but never visited. What a food circus! Meat & Cheese shops, small boutiques in the alleyway. This is an ancient marketplace and worth the visit. Also this Italian adventure was supposed to include Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, but we never got to either place but both of these places were left off on this last trip. This was a disappointment! Everyone should experience Piazza Navona on a Saturday evening!

I strongly suggest to everyone on this itinerary to book a pre and post night for yourself. You will not be sorry.

Do you have a list of "don't miss" for those pre & post nights? ;-)

Livitaly was who we used. It was perfect - they picked us up by private car at the hotel and drove us to Vesuvius (we slept, lol) then took us to an area so we could get lunch and then dropped us with a private tour guide at pompeii and then drove us back to the hotel (we slept again lol)

THanks! Do you remember who you used?
[/QUOTE]

We stayed for part of our pre-night at Marriott Palazzo Naiadi, The Dedica Anthology, Piazza delta Repubblica which was a fabulous hotel, about a block from the main train station, and a block from Metro, and walking to many of the best restaurants we found in Italy. (Photo below) EB00DE9C-E5AD-4EB5-A0CE-48E07BD74BB3.jpg

The staff was incredibly helpful. Based on suggestions from here, we booked a Dark Rome VIP Pompeii and Sorrento Small Group tour, which left the train station at 7 am (everything but lunch was included) and had a fast train to Pompeii and a terrific small group tour (It was a very naughty city back in the day...) and then took a minibus to Sorrento where we ate together at a nice restaurant and had the afternoon to shop and explore, with some very helpful guides. We climbed down to the ocean, and bought most of our souvenirs for the trip here. Great leather/shoes for reasonable prices. The lemons and fruit - everywhere. Felt and looked like the Disney movie under a Tuscan sun (which you really should watch before going to Italy...) Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks I have used them several times myself and then noticed with some digging you could find that guide but thru their own site and save a fair bit of money. However to your point foreign country acting as go between could be a good idea. thanks for the reminder
We have taken tours with Walks of Italy...they tend to be small group tours but our experience has been top notch. They were the first to be allowed to bring people to all levels of the colisseum. We have taken several day tours with them throughout Italy and never been disappointed.

We are Catholic and planning to get to Mass either at St. Peter’s or another nearby church. We wouldn’t mind going to St. Peter’s twice, especially since we’ll be so close. But is there any reason to experience it for the first time with ABD? Do they make the “reveal” special at all? Rick Steve’s always talks about bringing his guests into the front doors and watching their faces as they look up and see the inside of the basilica for the very first time. I might also look into climbing the dome at St. Peter’s because I hear you don’t do that with ABD. I wonder if there is time to do that after the basilica tour and before the Vatican museum tour. Isn’t that a dinner on your own evening? Anyone know if you can get dinner on-site?

We also are hoping to get to the Scala Sancta on one of our pre-days - believed to be the stairs Jesus climbed on his way to trial/Pontius Pilate. Saint Helena is credited with saving the steps from destruction and bringing them to Rome.

On our first day we might try a hop-on hop-off bus. Hopefully there’s one in walking distance from the hotel. I hear they’re exceedingly slow in Rome though, so we’ll see. Those buses been a great way for us to get a feel for a city with our kids in other big cities.

I used to live in Rome, so I will add my two cents (for what it's worth).

For both Venice and Rome, if looking to fill one day I don't recommend taking a tour. Venice is the best city in the world to just get lost and wander. There is also a Disney store at Campo San Bartolomeo. They have really cute Italy-specific merchandise.

If I had one day back in Rome I would take my own stroll from Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori area, to the Forum, up to the Pantheon (get gelato at Della Palma on Via della Maddalena!!!), then the Trevi Fountain and ending the night at the Spanish Steps. If you haul that's probably a 2 hour walk. So, spending all day slowly strolling and eating/drinking/shopping along the way is just magical.

Definitely get recommendations from others when it comes to tours. Many tour guides in Italy have agreements with local restaurants and vendors to get you to spend money at the retail locations owned by friends. Sometimes that's fine... but others have had really bad experiences.

Also, if you are an experienced traveler and comfortable with transport in Europe, Pompeii and Sorrento are easy to get to from Rome without hiring a driver. The train ride to Naples from Rome is pretty quick, and from there the Circumvesuviana (a small outdoor like train/tram) takes you from the Naples train station to Pompeii, Ercolano, and Sorrento (the last stop). You can also take the boat from Naples to Capri/Anacapri. Definitely wouldn't recommend Sorrento or Capri for a day trip from Rome. Needs at least 1 night.

I hope this helps. Italy and Disney travel advice is my favorite distraction from my real job. Don't tell my boss 😉

We are Catholic and planning to get to Mass either at St. Peter’s or another nearby church. We wouldn’t mind going to St. Peter’s twice, especially since we’ll be so close. But is there any reason to experience it for the first time with ABD? Do they make the “reveal” special at all? Rick Steve’s always talks about bringing his guests into the front doors and watching their faces as they look up and see the inside of the basilica for the very first time. I might also look into climbing the dome at St. Peter’s because I hear you don’t do that with ABD. I wonder if there is time to do that after the basilica tour and before the Vatican museum tour. Isn’t that a dinner on your own evening? Anyone know if you can get dinner on-site?

We also are hoping to get to the Scala Sancta on one of our pre-days - believed to be the stairs Jesus climbed on his way to trial/Pontius Pilate. Saint Helena is credited with saving the steps from destruction and bringing them to Rome.

On our first day we might try a hop-on hop-off bus. Hopefully there’s one in walking distance from the hotel. I hear they’re exceedingly slow in Rome though, so we’ll see. Those buses been a great way for us to get a feel for a city with our kids in other big cities.
Very much recommend climbing the dome at St. Peter's. It is very cool to see the old architecture and you can get some great photos on the roof behind the large statues of the saints overlooking the square. Not sure if they will continue, but we did an audience with the pope. It was on a Weds morning. It is not a service but an informal service where the pope blesses the requests of different groups of people in attendance. We went with a guide who knew exactly where to go and ended up in a pew where the Pope at the time (Benedict) walked right past us. You can look up to see if or when they will resume the audience with the pope.

PRE-arrival day
I would suggest that you purchase a city guide book of Rome which will provide excellent information for the area near the Gran Melia. You will find many places within walking distance such as the Campo D'Fiori and great restaurants in and around the area. I wish I could remember the name of the pre-arrival day restaurant where we ate dinner, but unfortunately we did not document it. We had 9 family members all at an outside table. The staff took all our individual orders but then brought everything out "family style". It was a delightful experience! This included a special treat when a street musician stopped at our table with his accordian.

The Rome ABD tour will show you the famous Via Condotti which is straight in front of the Spanish Steps but will not stop for shopping. Please go in to some of the shops! Prada has excellent items both large $$$$ and moderately large $$ (belts, coin purses, key chains, etc.) I purchased our daughter a small Prada shoulder bag in 2008. The purchases for handbags are made in private upstairs down a hallway where the handbag, etc. is registered and properly bagged with official duty free paperwork provided. The official tour does not have enough time to do these things.

Don't miss the nighttime in Piazza Navona!

POST-departure day
Your last ABD night in Venice will be so remarkable that your post-night may be a little letdown; however, make sure you jot down places you wish to re-visit. I would not re-visit the major attractions since this is your main opportunity to experience locals. Remember the sestiere (district) in which you may have entered; there are 6 of them and one can be lost since you no longer have a tourguide.
A good idea is to have a city map or use your phone. On our first trip we were at the Grand Hotel Dei Dogi in the Cannaregio district. On our post-night my DH and I had dinner at Vesuvio's Ristorante (no longer open-?pandemic). It was the ideal place to eat and watch the Venetians come out of their houses for the evening stroll and socializing hours. This is a long-time ritual (la passeggiata) that we enjoyed and should not be missed.

Note that St. Peters is so big that multiple Masses can occur simultaneously in different languages! You need to plan on the language, time and exact location of where the Mass will occur. Most Masses occur in side chapels and not the main high alter. There will likely be restrictions due to COVID19.

In normal times, Papal audiences are scheduled on Wednesday, except during the Summer. Request tickets on-line and pick them up Tuesday night. This has been suspended since March, so it's unknown when it will be back to normal schedule.

https://stpatricksamericanrome.org/index.php/pilgrims-in-rome/papal-audiences

-Paul

PRE-arrival day
I would suggest that you purchase a city guide book of Rome which will provide excellent information for the area near the Gran Melia. You will find many places within walking distance such as the Campo D'Fiori and great restaurants in and around the area. I wish I could remember the name of the pre-arrival day restaurant where we ate dinner, but unfortunately we did not document it. We had 9 family members all at an outside table. The staff took all our individual orders but then brought everything out "family style". It was a delightful experience! This included a special treat when a street musician stopped at our table with his accordian.

The Rome ABD tour will show you the famous Via Condotti which is straight in front of the Spanish Steps but will not stop for shopping. Please go in to some of the shops! Prada has excellent items both large $$$$ and moderately large $$ (belts, coin purses, key chains, etc.) I purchased our daughter a small Prada shoulder bag in 2008. The purchases for handbags are made in private upstairs down a hallway where the handbag, etc. is registered and properly bagged with official duty free paperwork provided. The official tour does not have enough time to do these things.

Don't miss the nighttime in Piazza Navona!

POST-departure day
Your last ABD night in Venice will be so remarkable that your post-night may be a little letdown; however, make sure you jot down places you wish to re-visit. I would not re-visit the major attractions since this is your main opportunity to experience locals. Remember the sestiere (district) in which you may have entered; there are 6 of them and one can be lost since you no longer have a tourguide.
A good idea is to have a city map or use your phone. On our first trip we were at the Grand Hotel Dei Dogi in the Cannaregio district. On our post-night my DH and I had dinner at Vesuvio's Ristorante (no longer open-?pandemic). It was the ideal place to eat and watch the Venetians come out of their houses for the evening stroll and socializing hours. This is a long-time ritual (la passeggiata) that we enjoyed and should not be missed.
Thank you very much!! We just received an email that our final payment date has been extended. I really do hope they cancel so we can go next year instead. But, if not, we will be ready!

Anyone know if there is a [good] place to eat dinner at or near the Vatican? It looks like you tour St. Peter’s and then have dinner on your own and then after-hours Vatican museum tour...

Anyone know if there is a [good] place to eat dinner at or near the Vatican? It looks like you tour St. Peter’s and then have dinner on your own and then after-hours Vatican museum tour...

I’d consider either DeI Musei or Da Vito e Dina. You should find info on both if you do a search. Enjoy...

The after hours tour begins almost immediately after the crowds are cleared from the Vatican at closing. This is a picture of our group about to enter the museum. Your group will be accompanied by Vatican personnel both at the head of your group and the end. We were closely monitored. Our guide for Rome, Stefano, is in the blue shirt getting instructions from the officials.

We are doing in a few days early prior to our Rome escape next year, We will be staying at Marriott Grand Flora while with ABD, can anyone recommend a hotel more within walking distance of everything for our preABD days? Probably plan on a full day private tour to either Pompeii or Tuscany as well. I keep hearing that Rome in Limo is a very good private/small tour company. All recommendations are welcomed as this is our first trip to Rome and the surrounding area. Thank you.

We are doing in a few days early prior to our Rome escape next year, We will be staying at Marriott Grand Flora while with ABD, can anyone recommend a hotel more within walking distance of everything for our preABD days? Probably plan on a full day private tour to either Pompeii or Tuscany as well. I keep hearing that Rome in Limo is a very good private/small tour company. All recommendations are welcomed as this is our first trip to Rome and the surrounding area. Thank you.
We've previously stayed in hotels near the Spanish Steps, Piazza Barberini, and the Pantheon. I would say the Pantheon area is my favorite and I am basing this on access to great food areas such as Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto. Rome is not that big and you can really walk to all the famous monuments easily. Find something in your price range and benefits with your rewards. We've stayed in hotels, airbnb's, and smaller quaint boutique hotels. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Our first stay in Rome for ABD was in the Bernini Bristol in Piazza Barberini. The Bernini was Disney's choice at that time, and Tom Hanks was living there during our trip while filming Angels and Demons. We loved it! It is absolutely within walking distance to Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Spanish Steps. You can arrive at the top of the Spanish Steps from the hotel by walking up the Via Sistina (a street just down and to the right of the hotel). From there, you can walk down the Steps to the Via Condotti and shop, shop, shop! I envy you your trip!
Here we are at the top of the Spanish Steps where you will find the Trinita Dei Monti. Just one full day to Tuscany will just about give you time to drive up and then drive back to Rome.

Another vote for the Bernini Bristol. We first stayed there on our 2017 Viva Italia ABD (our first trip ever to Europe) and have since been back a couple of times on our own.

Another vote for the Bernini Bristol. We first stayed there on our 2017 Viva Italia ABD (our first trip ever to Europe) and have since been back a couple of times on our own.
We are returning there next August on our own as well. This hotel is so convenient to famous sites. Also, since we have done ABD Italy twice, we no longer have a need to visit the same ticketed sites again. We just want to meander around this incredible city, eat bruschetta and pasta and enjoy the locals! In our 7 day stay at the Bernini which is near the Termini, we can take a trip by train back to Orvieto where I can buy some more ceramics. These are two pieces I purchased there in 2018. OKW it's always nice to hear another adventurer with wanderlust share similar experiences.:)IMG_0934.jpg

I keep hearing so many wonderful things about Orvieto. Your ceramics are beautiful. Definitely thinking of doing a private tour there on our pre ABD day. DD wants to go to Pompeii and Amalfi or Sorrentino but I am leaning towards Orvieto and Civita Bagnoregio. If for nothing more than the ceramics!! Did they ship those home for you?

I keep hearing so many wonderful things about Orvieto. Your ceramics are beautiful. Definitely thinking of doing a private tour there on our pre ABD day. DD wants to go to Pompeii and Amalfi or Sorrentino but I am leaning towards Orvieto and Civita Bagnoregio. If for nothing more than the ceramics!! Did they ship those home for you?
Yes, they shipped these. If you buy two pieces the shipping is free, but if you only buy one piece, the cost of shipping is about the equivalent of the cost of a second piece. Each piece is unique in that there is not another piece just like the one you purchase. All are hand signed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts