Italian buffet@shades of Green

cathyolin@adelphia.n

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW in Oct.for our 40th Anniversary and are staying at the BC my DH wants to go to the Italian Buffet at Shades of Green is that only for the people staying there?

Sorry,but I'm pretty sure any activity,including dining is for military personal (and guests)staying there only.

That's a good question. Obviously you can hop on a bus and visit SOG like you would any other resort. I don't believe they check IDs when you enter the resort (unless you're checking in), just as they don't when you take a bus to go to another Disney resort.

You can call SOG at 888-593-2242 and ask if you can eat at the Evergreen's, where the buffet is held.

Originally posted by NotTooGoofy
That's a good question. Obviously you can hop on a bus and visit SOG like you would any other resort. I don't believe they check IDs when you enter the resort (unless you're checking in), just as they don't when you take a bus to go to another Disney resort.

You can call SOG at 888-593-2242 and ask if you can eat at the Evergreen's, where the buffet is held.
I could be wrong, but I think even before you get to the resort, that there is a gaurd shack at the entrance to the resort and they check to see if you have a military ID.

Actually, we were at SoG last month and we asked the waitstaff at Evergreen's whether civilians could dine there - we were shocked at the low prices ;-). They said anyone could eat there, as the meals are not tax-free and as such, aren't considered a military benefit.

HTH!

Originally posted by caseywirth
I could be wrong, but I think even before you get to the resort, that there is a gaurd shack at the entrance to the resort and they check to see if you have a military ID.

They didn't ask for military ID when we were there - my mom just told the guards that she was going to check out the resort and they let her in (she arrived several hours before we did).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I called SOG and you have to either be staying at the hotel or be the guest of someone who is staying there or has a military ID. Sorry.........

Maybe something has changed but this was posted on allears:

"Non-guests can also eat at the restaurant. But, like all military facilities, Shades of Green has a guard posted at the gate and photo identification is required before visitors are given a guest pass and permitted entry."

http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_sog2.htm

Originally posted by caseywirth
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I called SOG and you have to either be staying at the hotel or be the guest of someone who is staying there or has a military ID. Sorry.........

That right there is the EXACT problem we had with our stay - staff who were simply uninformed, and instead of finding an answer for you, just gave you one off the cuff. You were told this, yet my mom got onto the property last month with no problems. I can almost guarantee that if three of us called SoG, we'd all come away with different answers. It was quite frustrating while we were there.

the article listed with the link above, that says anyone can enter w/ photo ID, is from an article that appeared just a couple months after 9/11. Much has gone on in the world since then, unfortunately, so that article may well be outdated.

Anyone w/ the same Q--I think best bet is to go to the resort with the caveat that you might be turned away if not eligible to stay there (note--eligible is not the same as staying there, it is just a series of classifications of military, retirees, dependants, DoD civilian employees, and their guests).

I recall that I could not check in by myself last time, but could when my DoD sister and BIL arrived, and that at that time I was issued an SOG guest credential of some kind and thereafter i could come and go w/o them for the length of my stay. But that was a pre 9/11 visit and pre-expansion, so I am prepared to modify my expectations to whatever I find out at check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter