It Was The Best of Times, It Was The Worst of Times -- A 2018 Training Journal* Updated 9/27

OMG. Come visit me so I can take you to my local dive bar where we can enjoy a Schooner together.

ETA: To answer your question, pizza. Always pizza.

OMG. Come visit me so I can take you to my local dive bar where we can enjoy a Schooner together.

Man, a schooner sounds SO good right now!

My day is just ALL screwed up. My power went out at 1:45 this morning and didn't get restored until right before Noon ... which means my house got REAL hot, my doggos got real restless and I got no sleep. I pretty much just woke up for the day about 45 minutes ago. :(

Man, a schooner sounds SO good right now!

My day is just ALL screwed up. My power went out at 1:45 this morning and didn't get restored until right before Noon ... which means my house got REAL hot, my doggos got real restless and I got no sleep. I pretty much just woke up for the day about 45 minutes ago. :(
Cheese and rice. You NEED a dang Schooner right now.

Yeah - it was pretty brutal. My thermostat said my downstairs was already at 84 at 6 a.m. ... my upstairs had to have been in the 90s by the time the sun came up.

It took them three hours to cut down my neighbors trees just to get to the power line and transformer, and then all the time it took to fix that. Look, I know people would rather spend the $$ on something more exciting than tree maintenance, but I sure do hope the city or Oncor sends them a big fat bill for not maintaining their trees.

My favorite cheat meal: Fried Mozzarella Triangles from South Street (a local bar food place with tons of beers on tap)

Food reward for me is sushi. Since we usually try to control carbs, all that rice is typically a no-no, so I love sushi as a treat.

Our air conditioner quit working briefly on Thursday night. UGH! Luckily the coils were just really dirty and so after some time cleaning it up, it was working fine again. Phew!

Loving the bandanna Friday action.

Are you still crewing for a friend at Leadville? Can't wait to hear about that. Even just crewing or spectating that event should be amazing.

Are you still crewing for a friend at Leadville? Can't wait to hear about that. Even just crewing or spectating that event should be amazing.

That's the plan!! She actually leaves this week for a "training camp" out on the course!

Yeah - it was pretty brutal. My thermostat said my downstairs was already at 84 at 6 a.m. ... my upstairs had to have been in the 90s by the time the sun came up.

It took them three hours to cut down my neighbors trees just to get to the power line and transformer, and then all the time it took to fix that. Look, I know people would rather spend the $$ on something more exciting than tree maintenance, but I sure do hope the city or Oncor sends them a big fat bill for not maintaining their trees.

Makes me grateful that our power company will send a crew out to cut down problem trees for you, no charge; you just have to give them permission when they send you a notice that they'd like to do it. I'm a little sad we don't have our alley-side tree anymore, but we didn't have the money or wherewithal to deal with trimming it back as far as it would have needed to be and it would have just grown up into the power lines again in a few years anyway. RIP alley tree. :sad2:

That's the plan!! She actually leaves this week for a "training camp" out on the course!

For some reason, I thought Leadville was in September. Imagine my surprise when I went to the website and saw it already took place, in August! :o Did you go out, and how did your friend do? Such an epic accomplishment to finish that race!

Remember Me?!?!?!

Hey! Yeah, it's me - Keels! Your 28th-favorite training journal writer (and probably fourth-favorite Keels), returning to the Training Journal fray!

Where have I been? Well ... geez, that's kind of a hard question because the answer is everywhere.

But why haven't I been posting about my training? That's easy.

Back in July, after I finished the Mayor's Triathlon, I started having some crazy, crazy weird swelling in my heel in my reconstructed foot.

How bad could the swelling be to shut you down? You've done so much this year!

IMG_5166.JPG

So ... what did the doctor say?!?!

IMG_5247.JPG ]

Basically, I've had some material in my heel that has naturally relocated - and it chose two spots in my heel - one towards the back, and another at the Achilles insertion point.

So. I had treatment and shut myself down - for the most part.

But, I did a few exciting things ...

I bought a sweet little house in New Orleans:

IMG_5164.JPG

I went to Cuba:

IMG_5453.JPG IMG_5470.JPG IMG_5491.JPG IMG_5574.JPG

And when I got home ... I got out of a cast and into a really great NEW fashion accessory - a boot:

IMG_5727.jpg

So ... where does that leave me? Stay tuned for more!

Your house in NOLA is fantastic!!!

And, OMG, your poor heel. :(

Thank you! I'm head-over-heels in love with it ... it was a long search and an arduous process to finally get to ownership, but it's just perfect for me and every time I've walked in the door, I never want to leave. It's just a few blocks away from the main parade route, as well as many of my favorite restaurants and bars, so it's just perfect all around. And it's plenty big enough for any runners who want to come enjoy RnR NOLA or Crescent City Classic!

That house just screams NOLA. It’s perfect! I love the colors they painted it.

Holy moly at your foot. I hope everything heals well.

Is Cuba open to regular tourism now or is it still humanitarian trips?

Is Cuba open to regular tourism now or is it still humanitarian trips?

At this current point in time, yes - provided you buy a tourist visa ($75) and complete the form that describes the purpose of your trip.

I went via cruise with an overnight in Havana - I booked a couple of outings (Old Car Tour, Cooking School) that weren’t Via the cruise line and they qualified as “person-to-person interaction benefiting the people of Cuba” - basically, any activity you did where you paid a Cuban citizen personally (car ride, museum tour, meal at a Palladar instead of a Cafeteria, etc.) was considered an activity benefitting Cuban people and could suffice as proof if you were ever audited.

I did meet quite a few people that were in Havana not on a cruise - the ONLY way to currently do that is to fly via Miami, because you have to have your tourist Visa approved in Miami with proof of activities. I’m happy to share more details if you’re interested - I absolutely adored my time in Cuba and can’t wait to go back next year!

I am caught up!! Ugh to your heel and boot living (although better than the cast life). Congrats on the house in NOLA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!