"It All Started With A Mouse" UPDATED 6/1/09 CASTAWAY CAY PT 2

Holy Moly, I have to hurry up if I'm gonna stick to my promise of finishing this before we celebrate our Anniversary :eek:

It looks like when I last left off we had just drifted to sleep after our first day aboard the Disney Wonder. Now, I was slightly worried that once I laid down to sleep that I would notice the movement of the ship, but I never did :thumbsup2 I was, however, exhausted and fell asleep in about 10 seconds flat. I woke up to "When you Wish Upon A Star" being played over the intercom followed by our cruise director letting us know that we had docked in Castaway Cay :banana:

I immediately ran onto our (upgraded) verandah and saw the most beautiful sight in the whole world

P1010666.jpg

It was absolutely breathtaking! I stayed out there for quite a while observing the surrounds while I let Candi sleep a little longer. How he slept through the intercom I will never know :confused3 Once I couldn't handle it any longer I pounced on the bed and let Candi know it was time to wake up.

We decided to grab some breakfast on the ship first because we knew we had a big day ahead of us. So, we went up to the buffet and had some Mickey waffles and juice and then proceeded out to the island :cloud9:

Our first order of duty was some snorkeling!!!!!!! I was so excited about this, but Candi was really nervous. He isn't a very strong swimmer and he was really nervous about going out into the ocean. I assured him that he would be fine (I had been trying to teach him in our pool before we left) and we came up with some hand signals for each other so we could communicate under water. As we ventured off the ship and towards the gear stand to get our snorkels and fins we, of course, had to stop and admire this

2323232327Ffp53432nu323834952329-1.jpg

I think it's so cool that it was actually used to film the movie and now it was here for me to see!! I contemplated getting in line to take a picture with "Captain Jack" but decided I was too impatient and wanted to get into the water. We checked out our gear and were still lucky enough to grab a hammock that was empty :cool1: I had heard that the hammocks go quickly, so I figured that since we got a late start there wouldn't be anymore, but I guess it was our lucky day. We reviewed our hand signals one more time and then started making our way into the ocean.

OMG!!!!! It was so much fun!! Now, I realize if you were to do more serious snorkeling you could find way cooler fish and other sea creatures, but Disney makes their lagoon so awesome with all their underwater "treasures."

IMG_08301.jpg

This, I believe, is from the movie 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

They also had all sorts of sunken ship pieces, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and different plaques with different sayings on them....oh, and of course fish. Unfortunately, my underwater camera worked like poo so most of my pictures didn't come out :sad2:

I turned around to make sure Candi was doing ok

IMG_08291.jpg

And he was :goodvibes

So, I motioned for him to go out further with me. He was hesitant, so I grabbed his hand and we went as far as they allowed (it's roped off at a certain point). Then Candi goes up above water for a minute and I continue to look around. All of a sudden he tugs on my arm so I come up to the surface to find out what's going on. Then he asks me how come everyone else's vest look "bigger" than his. I asked him what he meant and he said "ours look really flat, but some of the other people's look bigger." I told him it was because they blew theirs up......OH NO!!! He started freaking out and immediately lost control....IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN!!

*** See the life vests had to be manually inflated, but I intentionally didn't inflate mine so I could swim under the surface easier. Well, I am a BAD wife and I forgot to tell Candi to inflate his.

Anyway, just knowing in his head that his life vest wasn't inflated caused him to panic. I quickly swam underneath him and aired up his vest (very hard to blow up under water by the way) and then I flipped him over onto his back so he could float and catch his breathe. The lifeguard got there about this time and I assured him everything was ok. Needless to say Candi was kind of mad at me for a little bit. We swam back to shore and laid in the hammock while he calmed down (both of anger and panic). Now, I'm not saying that it wasn't scary what happened, but it just proves that it was mind over matter with his swimming. He was swimming GREAT until he realized he didn't have his life vest inflated, plus HELLO!! what good did you think a "flat" life vest would do? :lmao:

He calmed down quickly and we decided it was time to grab some lunch. WE went over to Cookie's BBQ and had some super yummy BBQ food. They had all sorts of foods and we chowed down. In my opinion, this was WAY better than the food from the buffet that we had for lunch the day before. After we were good and full we decided to explore Castaway Cay for a little bit.

I don't have anymore pictures for this portion of the day but Castaway Cay is beautiful. For those who may not know, it is Disney's own PRIVATE island and the only people there are the workers and the guests on the Disney cruise :thumbsup2 It's also split into several areas (family beach, adults only beach etc).

We had an amazing time just walking around enjoying the scenery. However, there were some amazing adventures coming up that would allow us to see Castaway Cay from a whole new angle!!

We had an amazing time just walking around enjoying the scenery. However, there were some amazing adventures coming up that would allow us to see Castaway Cay from a whole new angle!!

popcorn::

Hello-I'm hooked and patiently waiting for me please.

Thank you for sharing your trip,
Jennifer

popcorn::

Hello-I'm hooked and patiently waiting for me please.

Thank you for sharing your trip,
Jennifer

Thanks for reading!! Sorry about the long delay, we have been out of town and then my job decided to double my workload as punishment for going on vacation :rotfl:

Update is being worked on now :goodvibes

As we were walking around enjoying the beautiful scenery of Castaway Cay (and we wouldn't realize how much we had missed until we got back home ... that place is MUCH bigger than it seems) we realized we should probably check-in for our very first excursion of the cruise. We packed up all the things we wouldn't need and headed towards our check-in building. That's when I realized we didn't have our excursion "ticket" :scared1:

*** You see, for every excursion you book they give you a "ticket" for each person participating in the excursion that you give to the check-in place so that they know you are being charged for that excursions ***

Well, we didn't have ours so I took off racing to from Castaway Cay to our stateroom to try and find it. I made it to our room in record time and start searching all over for it. I look in the last place I remember seeing it (before taking it on the island, because I am POSITIVE that I did) and it wasn't there. I checked the safe ... not there. I checked our suitcases ... not there. You get the idea right? IT WASN'T ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! I am getting really upset and know that there is only 5 more minutes before everyone has to be checked in for the excursion which, of course, makes me more upset. So, I race back to where Candi is waiting and he knows I couldn't find them because I am crying at this point. We decide to go the the check-in podium and ask them if there is anything we can do, to which they say we have to have the tickets to participate. Now I am crying uncontrollably at this point then right at that minute my angel walks by ... our cruise director ... he sees me crying and finds out what is going on. We explain our situation to him and he gets on his walkie talkie and fixes everything :cloud9: Apparently he had the front desk look up the charges to see what excursions we paid for and all was well with the world. I cannot think him enough. Not only was the excursion pretty pricey but it was the one Candi and I were most looking forward to!!

Crisis averted, we made our way onto our little speedboat and headed out into the open waters. We are on the boat with the two workers and then 5 of our cruise-mates (again, all Disney cruisers :goodvibes). We are all given life jackets (these were the "non flat" version :rotfl2:) and they go over safety instructions and then we are ready to go. Candi and I volunteered to go first and I ask one of our super nice cruise-mates to take pictures for me.

** Keep in mind these are scans of pictures from a disposable camera so they aren't the best.

IMG_08271.jpg

I love how you can see the cruise ship behind us :goodvibes

Let me tell you, parasailing is one of the most amazing things I have ever done! We truly felt so relaxed and free while we were in the air. It was so amazing to see everything from that viewpoint and it was also super fun when they dipped us in the water several times before bringing us back to the boat.

IMG_08281.jpg

All too soon they brought us back down (we were in the air for about 5-10 minutes I think). Well, the only thing Candi had been worried about is landing back on the boat (you come down with a relative amount of speed) and he was worried that it would cause him to twist his ankle. So, about 3 seconds after this picture was shot he lifted both his feet and grabbed me "piggy back" style. Oh my lordy, I thought I was going to be doing somesaults all the way down the boat. I was not expecting that extra weight, but I somehow managed to gain control and keep us from flipping into the laps of our passengers. Geez, that boy, who does he think I am? Superwoman?? :rotfl:

After, the parasailing excursion was over we decided to head on in to take a nap before dinner. We knew that we would be getting a second day at Castaway Cay and there was only about an hour left before everyone was required to get back on board anyway. It was only about 3:00, but we had already enjoyed a very full day of fun and we were both pretty tired. Once we got back on the ship we took turns taking showers and then settled in to take a quick nap ....

Well, we didn't have ours so I took off racing to from Castaway Cay to our stateroom to try and find it. I made it to our room in record time and start searching all over for it. I look in the last place I remember seeing it (before taking it on the island, because I am POSITIVE that I did) and it wasn't there. I checked the safe ... not there. I checked our suitcases ... not there. You get the idea right? IT WASN'T ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!! I am getting really upset and know that there is only 5 more minutes before everyone has to be checked in for the excursion which, of course, makes me more upset. So, I race back to where Candi is waiting and he knows I couldn't find them because I am crying at this point. We decide to go the the check-in podium and ask them if there is anything we can do, to which they say we have to have the tickets to participate. Now I am crying uncontrollably at this point then right at that minute my angel walks by ... our cruise director ... he sees me crying and finds out what is going on. We explain our situation to him and he gets on his walkie talkie and fixes everything :cloud9: Apparently he had the front desk look up the charges to see what excursions we paid for and all was well with the world. I cannot think him enough. Not only was the excursion pretty pricey but it was the one Candi and I were most looking forward to!!

Let me tell you, parasailing is one of the most amazing things I have ever done! We truly felt so relaxed and free while we were in the air. It was so amazing to see everything from that viewpoint and it was also super fun when they dipped us in the water several times before bringing us back to the boat.

HI- Your back! I know life gets busy when you are having fun.

Oh no! Did you ever find your tickets afterwards? Thank God for your cruise director! I would love to do this excursion but I will be getting married on CC that day. I might be able to squeeze it in but my hair and makeup will be done so I don't know.:confused:.

I hope all is well & look forward to hearing more.

:hippie:, :love:, & :goodvibes
Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter