It’s Disney, Four Hours of Sleep is Normal! Mother Daughter 2018 F&W TR! (Updated 9/22!)

VAtink

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my latest trip report! Hope you enjoy reading about all the fun my mom and I had at this year’s Food and Wine Festival!

This year we did a number of add ons, possibly too many! On our list for this year was:
-EMM at Toy Story Land
-DAH
-MNSSHP
-Italian Regional Lunch
-PFTS WVL
-Keys to the Kingdom Tour

Ok, it doesn’t look like much in writing, but by the end of the trip we were exhausted from the seemingly endless late nights and early mornings! It was however SO much fun, we just know for next year not to book quite as much in a week!

Now for the introductions!

First up is my mom:

She is a semi-retired teacher, so it’s hard for her to travel during the school year which is why we always go in September around Yom Kippur since her school district has that day off and she only needs to take about 2 days of vacation (since she’s retired and only works part time she doesn’t work every day of the week).

Her favorite ride is Splash and if she could bring back anything from Disney’s past it would be the Tapestry of Nations Parade (but who wouldn’t? So good!)

Next up is Me:

I’m Debbie, been going to Disney World since I was a baby (thanks Mom and Dad!) and love all things Disney. My favorite ride, just like my mom, is Splash! Love how well themed it is, and that drop is kinda fun too! If I were to bring back any past attraction it would be Horizons. I have fond memories from my childhood of that ride and being obsessed with picking the ending. Close second would be Tapestry of Nations as well, if it only takes two votes to get that back I’d gladly vote for this instead!

Alright, enough of these introductions, it’s time to get into the trip!

Next up: We're Going to Disney...We Hope!

TOC:

Pre-Trip: We're Going to Disney....We Hope!

Sunday September 16

Day 1, Part 1: We're Almost Home!
Day 1, Part 2: We're Going to Hollywood!
Day 1, Part 3: Our First Minnie Van, and Trader Sam's!
Day 1, Part 4: Our First Taste of Food and Wine!

Monday, September 17th
Day 2, Part 1: We're off to EMM at Toy Story Land!
Day 2, Part 2: EMM at Toy Story Land! Part 1!
Day 2, Part 3: EMM at Toy Story Land! Part 2!
Day 2, Part 4: Our First Waterpark in 5 Years!
Day 2, Part 5: Back to the Food Booths!
Day 2, Part 6: Yup, We're Still Eating!

Tuesday, September 18th

Day 3, Part 1: Breakfast with a Bunch of Characters!
Day 3, Part 2: Are Those Real Fish?
Day 3, Part 3: Will We Find all the Remy's? (Plus, More Food!)
Day 3, Part 4: Pre-MNSSHP!
Day 3, Part 5: Dinner at BOG!
Day 3, Part 6: MNSSHP, Part 1
Day 3, Part 7: MNSSHP, Part 2
Day 3, Part 8: MNSSHP, Part 3

Wednesday, September 19th

Day 4, Part 1: Breakfast at France!
Day 4, Part 2: Italian Regional Luncheon!
Day 4, Part 3: Disney Springs for the First Time!
Day 4, Part 4: What's New at Downtown Disney?

Thursday, September 20th

Day 5, Part 1: Animal Kingdom!
Day 5, Part 2: Animals Everywhere!
Day 5, Part 3: Lunch at Tiffins!
Day 5, Part 4: Pandora!
Day 5, Part 5: Pre-DAH!
Day 5, Part 6: DAH, Part 1
Day 5, Part 7: DAH, Part 2

Friday, September 21

Day 6, Part 1: Keys to the Kingdom!
Day 6, Part 2: Tea time!

Saturday, September 22

Day 7, Part 1: Painting is Quiet, Right?
Day 7, Part 2: Saturday Morning at the Food Booths
Day 7, Part 3: Final Stretch at the Food Booths! Part 1
Day 7, Part 4: Final Stretch at the Food Booths! Part 2
Day 7, Part 5: Party for the Senses! Part 1
Day 7, Part 6: Party for the Senses! Part 2
Day 7, Part 7: Party for the Senses! Part 3
Day 7, Part 8: Party for the Senses, Part 4! Plus that time we accidentally snuck into the backstage area.

Last edited:
Pre-Trip: We’re Going to Disney….We Hope!

For the months leading up to our trip, my mom and I had been joking about how since the last few trips we’ve had no rain, we were due for a very rainy trip. Well, mother nature appeared to have listened…about 1.5 weeks before our trip the Atlantic was going crazy so we were worried we may have another tropical storm or hurricane to deal with for our trip.

We were there in 2013 for I believe it was TS Andrea, so we’ve gone through a ridiculously rainy trip before, so we were well prepared. However in the week leading up to our trip it wasn’t looking so bad for Florida, but it wasn’t looking good for the rest of the east coast. Now my mom and I care more about just getting down there, if it rains, it rains, that won’t ruin our trip, we only care about actually getting there in the first place!

We were obviously concerned with Florence coming towards the east coast. If it took a turn to the north, it could hit our family house on the Cape, or if it took the track predicted a week or so out it would have hit my house, so we were both concerned about the track of the storm. Not a fun thing to deal with a trip right around the corner!

Also, regardless of track, the storm had potential to affect our flights. So my mom and I went right into planning alternate travel routes. We decided if it were going to hit my area, I would travel up north and fly down with my mom, and visa versa.

The week leading up to our trip was spent watching forecasts and following the NHC and our airlines obsessively in the chance we would need to change something. I guess it was a good sign when my airline didn’t list my airport as one being affected (although two other airlines did), so I was stuck either with a change fee if I wanted to go a different day, or I was stuck on my original flight.

I hated doing it, but I couldn’t afford the $200 change fee, so stuck with my flight and kept my fingers crossed.

The days leading up to our travel day were beyond stressful. Beyond the weather, work was becoming a nightmare, and I did not want to deal with it while on vacation so I was working 10+ hour days. So the week before the trip I hardly slept at all, which turns out, was great practice for being in Disney!

giphy.gif

Me arriving home every day that week!

Finally it was our travel weekend. I brought my pup, Dug, over to boarding on Saturday, then went home and finished up my packing. I kept checking my flight, but it always said it was on time. I was shocked!

After a sleepless night it was time to (hopefully) travel to Disney! I was up annoyingly early since I was so stressed and couldn’t sleep, so checked to see if my flight was still on time, and it actually was! I dragged myself out of bed, did some last minute things around the house then called for an Uber to the airport.

The car arrived quickly and by 5:15 I was at the airport! I checked my bags curbside, and right after my mom called to let me know her flight was also still on time and she would be boarding soon!

So far so good!

giphy.gif

This was my first time traveling with TSA Pre check, so I was pumped to finally not have to worry about taking off my shoes or taking out my liquids. Also, when I got the security there was no one there! Of course the second I got in line this guy runs up behind me, obviously annoyed he was behind someone, he kept sighing like it was the end of the world there was someone ahead of him. Um…we were literally the only two people in line, what on earth was there to complain about?!?!

After the reaction from the guy getting stuck behind, heaven forbid, one person, I was slightly overjoyed when I went through the metal detector and it went off so he would have to wait more. I took my time taking off my jewelry and watch, and made it through eventually without setting off the alarm! The guy behind me could not have been more apparently livid, HA! I mean, I get it, in DC we tend to be very high strung, but seriously, being pissed off that there is one person ahead of you is a whole new breed of DC idiot. That man needs a vacation even more than I do!

Since I woke up annoying early since I couldn’t sleep, I of course arrived at my gate super early, about 2 hours before my flight! I went and picked up a bottle of water, then went and waited, trying my best not to fall asleep and miss my flight!

Eventually it was time to board, and since I had splurged (an extra $50!) when booking, I was flying first class, and got to board first! I quickly got settled into my seat and ordered an OJ.

Amazingly, we pushed off 10 minutes before our scheduled departure time!

Sadly, once again, my bad luck with taking off on time hit again. We taxied over to the holding area to wait to take off, then just sat there. The pilot eventually came on to let us know some weather just popped up and we were holding for the time being.

giphy.gif

We ended up sitting there for about 30 minutes until finally the pilot announced we’ve been cleared to take off, and were cleared for a more direct route! YES!!!!

We took off soon after, and had a nice flight. It got a bit turbulent as we were passing over Florence, but after we got over that area it was very smooth. We ended up landing at 9:49. Once we landed I sent my mom, who was scheduled to arrive about 30 minutes prior to me, a text saying I had just landed.

Somehow I managed to make it off the airplane and down to DME by 10:00! Yes, I have no idea how I managed to pull it off, but from wheels down to arriving at DME was only 11 minutes! Granted, I was one of the first off the plane and I arrived at the fake monorail right before it left, plus I know the airport very well so didn’t have to figure out where I was going, but still impressed it only took 11 minutes!

giphy.gif

My mom and I had planned on meeting near DME, and she saw me right away when I got down there and rushed over to greet me. After a quick hug we made our way over to the lines to get on our bus to finally head home to the BC!

Up Next: We’re Almost Home!

Following along! I always enjoy reading your reports! You're lucky to have a mom who is so much fun!

Glad you made it with no weather issues. I always stress about the weather leading up to a trip.

Following along! I always enjoy reading your reports! You're lucky to have a mom who is so much fun!

Glad you made it with no weather issues. I always stress about the weather leading up to a trip.

:welcome:Thanks for following along, and thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, we were so thrilled we managed to make it down pretty much on time after such a stressful week watching the weather!

Following along! Glad to hear you made it down there okay but the weeks before had to be extremely stressful. It sounds like you did a lot on your trip. What is PFTS WVL?

Oh yay, another of your TRs! Can't wait to hear about your trip and all the fun extras you did!

I'm sorry the time leading up to the trip was stressful but thank goodness all ended up going well!

Following along! Glad to hear you made it down there okay but the weeks before had to be extremely stressful. It sounds like you did a lot on your trip. What is PFTS WVL?

Thanks, and :welcome:, hope you enjoy the TR!

PFTS WVL = Party for the Senses, Wine View Lounge.

Oh yay, another of your TRs! Can't wait to hear about your trip and all the fun extras you did!

I'm sorry the time leading up to the trip was stressful but thank goodness all ended up going well!

Yay! Welcome back to another TR! :cool1:

Thanks, it was certainly a stressful few weeks leading up to the trip, so we were elated that everything ended up working out!

Day 1, Part 1: We’re Almost Home!

Alright, one last no picture post before we get into the picture fun!

We last left off with my arrival at DME and meeting up with my mom. We quickly hugged then made our way over to the very long line. I noticed though when we got into the line, there was a super short line to the right, and some cast members to the right as well with no line at all. Since I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask, we went over to the line-less cast member to see if we could check in to DME there, and surprisingly we could!

So tip, if you get to DME and see one long line but a bunch of cast members standing around with no line, don’t assume you have to get in the long line! The queueing instinct is real folks!

We checked in with the cast member, where we hit our first little bump in the trip. Well, I guess it would probably count as the second. In the weeks leading up to the trip when I received our magic bands, only mine came, my mom’s did not. So I called Disney to get it worked out, and they were great about it and send mom’s within days. Well, when her band came, all the documents in the box noted that it was a party of one, not two, which I just figured was how they had to set it up to get her band sent out. Well, when we checked in at DME, the CM scanned my band and goes “alright, so party of one?”

Um….noooo….

giphy.gif

I told her that my mom and I were together, so it should be a party of two. The CM then asks if we were in separate rooms. Again, nope (but hey, if you want to give us a free room I won’t complain)! So she does something on her tablet, while my mom begins panic attack #1 of the trip.

Fortunately, all was well, and a moment later the CM points us to line 4, and we were lucky enough that the line had just started boarding the bus! We scanned our magic bands again at the end of the line and this time we showed up as a party of two, phew!

The bus was almost full when we got on, so soon after getting our seats we were off!

It was such an amazingly efficient arrival, love it!

The bus stopped at Caribbean Beach first, so we got our first look at all the construction. My goodness, there is SO much going on, and those gondola towers are massive!

Somehow we got lucky, and our stop was next, and at 11:02 we were getting off the bus at the Beach Club! Yup, it only took an hour and 11 minutes from wheels down to arriving at the resort, by far our best time yet!

We were met by a CM once we got off the bus who guided us inside to the check-in desk where there were CM’s waiting! We confirmed our room requests with the CM there, and she noted that we got both our requests, top floor and full balcony! YAY!

The room wasn’t ready yet, which we expected, so we finished checking in and received yet another discount card and luggage tag as a “gift.” Since we had time, we decided to ask about adding a water park ticket since we had plans to visit Typhoon Lagoon after a 5 year hiatus! The CM at the front desk was amazing, she looked at the price for just day tickets as well as what it would cost to add the Water Parks and More to our current tickets to find us the best price! Turns out, adding the Water Parks and More to our current tickets saved us about $65! Thanks awesome CM!!!

After getting the water parks added to our tickets, we made our way over to the store to pick up some water and sunblock for the trip.

We made our way to the bathroom after that to apply the sunblock. I ended up changing as well, and tried to do something with my already annoying frizzy hair (thanks humidity!). Next up we dropped our bags off at Bell Services and made our way out to the boat dock for our first park visit of the trip!

Next up: We’re Going to Hollywood! (and finally pictures!!!)

I'm glad everything worked out with MDE and your room requests. That's another area I stress about leading up to a trip.

Food & Wine Festival is my favorite time to visit. I'll have to live vicariously through your trip report and it sounds like it will deliver!

Day 1, Part 2: We’re Going to Hollywood!

After dropping our bags at bell services and freshening up, we made our way down to the boat dock, taking pictures along the way. (Pictures! Finally, I know!)

Our luck with boats this trip wasn’t great, and what would become the norm for the trip we arrived at the boat dock just as the boat was leaving.

Oh well, more time for pictures I guess!

After about a 15 minute wait the next boat arrived, and we were off to HS!

Once arriving we quickly made our way through security and into the park. We didn’t have any plans to ride any rides this afternoon, so instead made our way back to the Baseline Tap house for our lunch!

This was completely different than what we expected. I thought it would be a sit down place with servers, but it’s just a small room with a bar and hardly any inside seating with most of the tables being outside in the courtyard. Plus you had to go up to the bar to get your food and drinks.

We were still excited to try it, so we found a partly shaded table outside and I ran inside to get my picks for lunch.

I ended up getting the beer flight with the Golden Road 329, the North Coast Fort Bragg, the Golden Road Hefeweizen, and the Sierra Nevada Chico. I also got the steak pouf. Turns out it wasn’t the best idea to order both at the same time….they both came out on essentially paddles which were super unstable, so carrying them back out to the table took a bit of work!

Next up my mom went in to get her picks, she also got the beer flight, but for food she got the charcuterie board. While she was getting her food, I got a text saying our room was ready, which was perfect because we both wanted to freshen up after lunch before our afternoon plans.

Now for the food review. Here are my items:

Here are my mom’s:

The beer was really good, the hefeweizen tasted just like banana’s which was a bit odd, but the rest were fantastic.

The steak was also great, I don’t like olives which it comes with, but my mom loves them so gladly took them off my plate. My mom also loved the charcuterie board, it was a perfect lunch for us.

One thing we noticed is there were a lot of people coming from other QS locations to sit in the Tap House’s patio, which made it hard for people actually eating/drinking at the tap house to find tables, especially in the shade. There was one family who did just this who ended up sitting next to us and spent the entire time complaining about how many people around them were drinking! HA!

After wrapping up our lunch, my mom and I decided to make our way out of the park to check out our room. On the way out we ran into one of the janitors “painting” the characters! We’ve never seen this in person before, so we stopped to watch. It was really awesome to see!

After watching him for a while, we slowly made our way out of the park. Of course we took PP pictures on the way out!

We arrived at the boat dock just as the boat was pulling away, again. There was a decent line there though, so we would not have made that boat anyways, so we got in line and waited again.

About 20 minutes later the next boat showed up so we piled on. By this point there was a massive line for the boats, so it was good to see there was actually a second boat waiting to fill up with people just after ours. The boat was stifling hot that day, so we decided to get off at the Swolphin and walk just to get some fresh air, and soon we were back at the BC excited to check out our room for the week!

Next up: Our First Minnie Van, and Trader Sams!

Last edited:
I'm glad everything worked out with MDE and your room requests. That's another area I stress about leading up to a trip.

Food & Wine Festival is my favorite time to visit. I'll have to live vicariously through your trip report and it sounds like it will deliver!

:welcome:

Thanks, we definitely were surprised to get both room requests, guess we got lucky!

Hope you enjoy reading about all the food and wine fun, we managed to try something from every booth this year so there will be a lot of it in this TR!

There was one family who did just this who ended up sitting next to us and spent the entire time complaining about how many people around them were drinking! HA!

Oh that's comical!

Gotta love a CM that not only upgrades your tickets easily but gets you some money back. Nice!

I know you don't like olives but I would have been in heaven with that serving of them from Baseline. It looked so good.

Sounds like a good trip so far! Enjoy that mother daughter time.

:welcome: Yeah, the trip got off to a fantastic start, we got lucky! Love these trips with my mom, we do them every year and have so much fun together! She's the best travel buddy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!