Is Universal's Epic Universe a Shot Across the Bow or A Body Blow to Disney

We just returned from a trip to Orlando with our son and granddaughter, ages 21 and 12.
They both thought universal had better rides for their age groups. But we all thought that 2 days at universal was enough time to do everything with their unlimited express pass. We loved Harry Potter, thought the food was mediocre at best, and the service was poor. I guess as they are targeting a younger demographic, they don’t think they will be bothered by snarky attitudes.
For value, food, and a pleasant family outing, we would recommend Sea World.
Disney is still our go-to place. It is more of an experience than merely an amusement park.
They do a good job of engaging your interest while you are waiting in line. The employees are pleasant, helpful and welcoming. We never have a bad time and look forward to returning.

We just returned from a trip to Orlando with our son and granddaughter, ages 21 and 12.
They both thought universal had better rides for their age groups. But we all thought that 2 days at universal was enough time to do everything with their unlimited express pass. We loved Harry Potter, thought the food was mediocre at best, and the service was poor. I guess as they are targeting a younger demographic, they don’t think they will be bothered by snarky attitudes.
Disney is still our go-to place. It is more of an experience than merely an amusement park.
They do a good job of engaging your interest while you are waiting in line. The employees are pleasant, helpful and welcoming. We never have a bad time and look forward to returning.

Sorry you had a less than wonderful experience.

We have NEVER experienced snarky attitudes. Nothing less than wonderful service. Actually better than some experiences we have had at Disney (although I know that isn’t the norm at Disney either). We find the food better most places than at Disney. Although we did have a chicken strip meal over by poseidon that wasn’t very good.

We like Sea World too. Wouldn’t say it’s better but we do enjoy it.

Universal is far from “just an amusement park”. And I think this new area they are building will show that even more.

Sorry you had a less than wonderful experience.

We have NEVER experienced snarky attitudes. Nothing less than wonderful service. Actually better than some experiences we have had at Disney (although I know that isn’t the norm at Disney either). We find the food better most places than at Disney. Although we did have a chicken strip meal over by poseidon that wasn’t very good.

We like Sea World too. Wouldn’t say it’s better but we do enjoy it.

Universal is far from “just an amusement park”. And I think this new area they are building will show that even more.

I've said this before, but I honestly think some people go in with a preconceived notion that Universal is inferior to Disney and look for things to support that theory. So a TM that is anything less than over the top joyful is labeled "surly" or "snarky".

Last edited:
I've said this before, but I honestly think some people go in with a preconceived notion that Universal is inferior to Disney and look for things to support that theory. So a TM that is anything less than over the top joyful is labeled "surly" or "snarky".

I must say, I have to agree. I have racked my brain trying to remember a snarky TM. I guess we just haven’t met them! Everyone we have come into contact with has always been great! After I first trip, I sent off several emails to Universal giving accolades to the TMs we met. And it haven’t changed. That’s why these posts always confuse me!

And some forget, many team member workers are also cast members. So, you could see the same worker in Universal and Disney. And I am sure, some also work in the Sea World parks. I think I have not had a bad worker, though have found some in Disney that were not very joyful. I too have given good words in any park I am in for a worker that deserves it.

I cannot wait for the new park.

I 😍 Universal ❤

Being an original redheaded step child of the Dis, I have learned to embrace what I love and not say unkind things about other parks.. Some people take it personally and that is not a kind way to be to friends

I just want to play nice with everyone

Life is too short to go around hurting others' feelings on what makes them happy.

I will end by saying this is our home and we want to have you join us anytime you want
we all play nice with each other and don't compare apples to oranges if you are allergic to them

We are a small friendly group that has a lot in common with all. and have a lot of experiences to offer everyone.

we all have feelings and love many things that bring joy to us. We like universal orlando. It frees us from issues we might have and gives us happy thoughts in our days here

I 😍 Universal ❤

Being an original redheaded step child of the Dis, I have learned to embrace what I love and not say unkind things about other parks.. Some people take it personally and that is not a kind way to be to friends

I just want to play nice with everyone

Life is too short to go around hurting others' feelings on what makes them happy.

I will end by saying this is our home and we want to have you join us anytime you want
we all play nice with each other and don't compare apples to oranges if you are allergic to them

We are a small friendly group that has a lot in common with all. and have a lot of experiences to offer everyone.

we all have feelings and love many things that bring joy to us. We like universal orlando. It frees us from issues we might have and gives us happy thoughts in our days here

And this is why I love being a part of the Universal boards, Mac. You make this such a friendly and pleasant place to be. Like you said - no need to put down what makes others happy. If someone prefers Disney, that's great. If Seaworld is your thing, awesome. In this little corner of the DIS, we like Universal. There is something for everyone out there.

I must say, I have to agree. I have racked my brain trying to remember a snarky TM. I guess we just haven’t met them! Everyone we have come into contact with has always been great! After I first trip, I sent off several emails to Universal giving accolades to the TMs we met. And it haven’t changed. That’s why these posts always confuse me!

We had one on the Pterandon Flyers on day 1 of our first Universal visit. Went to CS and complained about them as it soured the day for my wife. But that was one out of the countless TMs we met over 3 trips there, and I would certainly never characterise the TMs at Universal as snarky as the rest have all been great, with many going out of their way to make things special for my kids.

To each their own as @macraven essentially said. However, to be honest, I cannot think of any stories on the Universal end in terms of snarky, or rudeness, however, I can in terms of Disney. In their defense, they were rule enforcing at the few incidents I can think of off the top of my head (other than a few generic experiences where I felt general lack of enthusiasm). The issue with Disney from my experiences is their superior attitude / not having sympathy in the events I personally experienced.

For one example, of a questionable moment of rule enforcement was when I was around 10. I flashed a peace sign at the camera on Buzz Lightyear. When I got off the ride a CM told me I was lucky that the photo wasn't taken away. Which I'll say her tone was less than friendly. I asked her what she meant as I was very confused. She told me that doing that sign was an offensive gesture in some places in the world. Her tone was not informative, which I believe should have been considering how young I was, but judgmental and harsh. Being the fact that I was 10 and a goodie goodie I felt like a piece of... Let's say rubbish. Anywho, years later I found out while that is true that it is rude, it's if palm facing you, with the back of your hand facing the person, or outward, which is not what I was doing. I was doing the traditional peace sign. So, essentially she made a 10 year old feel like trash and on top of that, made that child felt like trash for no reason.

I haven't found anyone, anywhere, that was so good at engaging my interest while standing in line that it would make me prefer it to not standing in line at all.

But I will say if you park in the parking garage then ride a bunch of rides and leave, no place is going to feel like a resort. If you want it to feel more like Disney, spend 2/3rds of your day swimming, eating and drinking and just pretend you were standing in lines that whole time.

I still prefer Universal to WDW. It’s a better experience overall. I don’t think the employees at one park are any better than at the other park. They’re both essentially overpriced carnivals with underpaid kids running the attractions.

And the food quality is about the same across both parks. You have more choices at WDW, but that doesn’t make it better.

I have to laugh at the people who say the food is better at Disney. It's all about a difference of opinion. CityWalk has some fab food and is massively overlooked which in a way I'm glad about as we don't all have to reserve a place to eat months in advance. There's also some great food/snacks in the parks but also some not so good too, just the same as Disney. Disney just tend to have very instagram worthy food and a lot of changes to keep their audience excited.

Maybe not the best attitude to have - but I'm glad when people don't like Universal. I'd hate to see everyone leave Disney and head to the Universal parks. I prefer having my own little slice of (uncrowded by comparison only) vacation paradise. ;-)

Maybe not the best attitude to have - but I'm glad when people don't like Universal. I'd hate to see everyone leave Disney and head to the Universal parks. I prefer having my own little slice of (uncrowded by comparison only) vacation paradise. ;-)

Right?? Every time I read "Talk me into Universal cause I just love Disney so and can't think of leaving the bubble!!" I just want to say, you are totally right - you'll hate Universal and everything about it so just hunker down in that Disney bubble and stay there.

Yes. I work in customer service and when I go out to eat or to a theme park, I'm pleasant and understanding to team members because lord knows they get enough drama and idiocy from many other park patrons.

Never understood why people feel they have to only like one of the parks, and bash the other park. I'm an AP holder to both Disney and Universal, and love them each for the qualities they bring. It's like Xbox vs Playstation, Marvel vs DC, etc. Blind fanboyism is awful

Rising tide lifts all boats

Never understood why people feel they have to only like one of the parks, and bash the other park. I'm an AP holder to both Disney and Universal, and love them each for the qualities they bring. It's like Xbox vs Playstation, Marvel vs DC, etc. Blind fanboyism is awful

Rising tide lifts all boats

I concur, hence my username. In the end, both places are great in their own way, both have their own talents, but both are great sources of entertainment, not only in film, but also their theme parks. However, at the same time, nobody is perfect and there's pros and cons to both resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!