Is this the stupidest idea ever?

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
OK, So I think I know a lot about DVC and the ins out outs of contracts - but I haven't heard this talked about much - so fellow experts tell me why this would be a bad idea.

I already have a AKV contract - 160 points with December UY. I also have a BWV contract 75 pts with Feb UY.

I am thinking of adding on 120-140 more points resale at AKV. For obvious reasons I was thinking I would focus on December UY.

Would I be daft and crazy to think about instead getting a June UY? My reasoning - by having points in a December UY and a June UY, I could always match my travels so I am using points during the first 6 months of my UY (Travel June-Nov on the June account, travel Dec-May on the Dec account). I could even use my "one transfer per year per account" to transfer the June UY points into my December UY account every year: By doing this, the June UY points would retain their original UY, but I would still have the option of booking the points together for the same room reservation OR use points from the individual contracts, but under the same account.

I really have no intention of getting additional points above this 3rd contract - unless they ever open another resort at DLR.

So -What am I missing? Tell me why this a really dumb idea! I've never seen anymore mention doing something like this. Am I being too much of a smarty pants and don't see the flaw in my logic.

TIA

I guess it depends if gaining extra flexibility to cancel is more important to you than being able to easily book online.

If you ever wanted to book at the 7 month mark using a mix of points from both contracts it's a pain- as I'm sure you know, you have to call. Not fun when rooms disappear so often at 8:01 these days. Even if you transfer your June points to Dec, you can't see them online and you have to call to book anything even at AKV.

I had to UY's at AKV at one point and sold them both to buy a single UY and it's been a breath of fresh air.

I guess it depends if gaining extra flexibility to cancel is more important to you than being able to easily book online.

If you ever wanted to book at the 7 month mark using a mix of points from both contracts it's a pain- as I'm sure you know, you have to call. Not fun when rooms disappear so often at 8:01 these days. Even if you transfer your June points to Dec, you can't see them online and you have to call to book anything even at AKV.

I had to UY's at AKV at one point and sold them both to buy a single UY and it's been a breath of fresh air.

Oh - I didn't realize you couldn't see the transferred points on-line!!! That's the piece I was missing! Yeah, then it's pretty dumb.

BTW - there's no way I sell that first contract to compile to one contract - it's from 2016 so has full membership privileges including points can go into Riviera - no way that one ever sells.

I second what aoconnor says, trying to book at 7 months is a real pain with 2 UY's, I have to work around my "rookie" dvc resale mistake of getting 2 different VGF UY contracts.

The solution my wife and I came up with is............ buy more VGF points. :smooth:

I second what aoconnor says, trying to book at 7 months is a real pain with 2 UY's, I have to work around my "rookie" dvc resale mistake of getting 2 different VGF UY contracts.

The solution my wife and I came up with is............ buy more VGF points. :smooth:
I am planning on buying a second contract with a different UY but only because even if I kept the same UY the resale will generate a new membership # (one less name on the deed, long story).

You're probably the only person who I would say could manage multiple UY's effectively. So, I would say go for it. For me, it wouldn't work though :P

I have points at 3 resorts, each with a different UY. The BWV points I use just at BWV, the AKV points are for just AKV, the SSR points are for 1BR all over based on availability. I have flexibility as to when I can travel (empty nest), and I use your charts to plan my stays. If each contract is large enough to plan separate vacations/stays it should not be a problem. Just takes some additional planning and tracking on the spreadsheets. We all know your spreadsheet skills, so I think you can handle it. If they are small contracts, or you see long stays in 2BR/GV in your future you would need to combine contracts, which is when it gets even worse.

Having two contracts also gives you two more WL per year.
I would buy a second UY only if you would use it independently most of not all the times.

That IS a good point, but of course you have to have the points in BOTH contracts to cover the WLs.

I have points at 3 resorts, each with a different UY. The BWV points I use just at BWV, the AKV points are for just AKV, the SSR points are for 1BR all over based on availability. I have flexibility as to when I can travel (empty nest), and I use your charts to plan my stays. If each contract is large enough to plan separate vacations/stays it should not be a problem. Just takes some additional planning and tracking on the spreadsheets. We all know your spreadsheet skills, so I think you can handle it. If they are small contracts, or you see long stays in 2BR/GV in your future you would need to combine contracts, which is when it gets even worse.

I was really debating about going with SSR for a third contract, because we do "sleep around" quite a bit even though I don't go to 1 bedrooms. And our BWV contract is purely for BWV as well. However, I just don't care for SSR - and I can't come to grips with owning somewhere I don't really care for.

You're probably the only person who I would say could manage multiple UY's effectively. So, I would say go for it. For me, it wouldn't work though :P

Well, that's very kind! I think I could handle it, but I am not sure i have good reason to. @aoconnor 's comment that if you transfer you can't see the points on-line is enough to dissuade me from the idea I think. I'll just wait patiently for the right contract.

Sounds like you've already gotten good info - I agree with others here that 2 different UYs 6 mo apart is only helpful if you plan to use the contracts independently. We have 2 UY (in 3 resorts), the original idea was Feb UY points should be used for Feb, Apr breaks and all summer (all before banking deadline), and our August UY could be used for August through winter holidays and maybe president's week. *For the most part* that seems to be working, although then we had to go buy RIV and we really would have preferred Feb UY but we wanted 2019 points, so Aug UY it was.

I have 2 use years with AKL. Whenever we book, we call member services and let them work it out. Disney's IT stinks anyway. Never have had a problem booking when calling direct. Go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter