Is this possible to do at AK?

jbuckent

DIS Veteran
10:30 UP! A Great Bird Adventure
11:00 Festival of the Lion King
11:40ish Expedition Everest with Fast Pass
12:00 Finding Nemo

We are hoping to leave the park around 1:00 for a few hours then have a dinner reservation at 4:00, and a FOP Fastpass at 6:00. I don't think we can squeeze one of these shows in after we return.

Last edited:
The Up show is about 25 minutes, so you would really have to book it over to FOTLK. You’ll probably have to decide between leaving Up a few minutes early or arriving at FOTLK a few minutes late and hoping seats are still available. The Nemo musical is right near Everest so if you hurry right over Everest after FOTLK you might be good there. You are definitely going to need to move very quickly between each attraction/show.

Personally, it's overly ambitious. Is the 11AM the showtime for Lion King? Or when they start seating people? It's like a 5 minute walk from UP! to FotLK. UP! is approx 25 mins. So if you left that at the end., and booked it over to FotLK, you would arrive pretty much at 11, so if that is when the show starts, you may be denied entry. And then 30 mins runtime for FotLK (and unless you luck out with seats, exiting can take 5-10 mins it seems), plus a 10 min walk to Everest, 5-10 mins for the FP line, you would be arriving at Finding Nemo pretty much at 12. Once again, is that the start time or seating time? If it's start time, you may be denied entry, performers are in the aisles here, so they are usually strict about people not being in the aisles once the show starts. Any snafus, would mess up the schedule. No restroom breaks, no stops, no snacks, nothing. Just power walking all over the place.

That’s going to be tight. Up is a 25 minute show which gives you 5 minutes to get to FotLK.
What about the 10 AM lion king show, then your traveling in one direction to UP and then Everest and Nemo

That’s going to be tight. Up is a 25 minute show which gives you 5 minutes to get to FotLK.
What about the 10 AM lion king show, then your traveling in one direction to UP and then Everest and Nemo

Unfortunately I don't see a 10:00 listed the day we go, maybe that will be updated as we get closer.

For now I'll scratch UP! and if we get out of dinner early try to catch the 5:00 show. Or convince my husband we don't need to leave mid day!

Don't think you can get everything done in the timeframe you are looking at.

Personally, UP isn't that good. I wouldn't feel bad about skipping it or leaving very early after seeing a little.
Arriving at FoTLK just before it starts can be iffy about finding a seat.
I think your timeframe for EE and Nemo is very tight as well.
I would try and get to EE and tap in 5 minutes early. The FP line can be 5-10 minutes and you still have the wal to Nemo. Doable, but tight.

The Seas With Nemo and Friends is at Epcot. Are you going to hop from AK to Epcot or are you talking about the Nemo and Friends show at AK?

I'll go so far as to say no way can you get done at UP, out of the theater and to FotLK in time to be seated for the show.
I don't consider the entire UP show lame. Much of the bird parts are exactly the same as the old show. The story is rather lame but the bird parts are not.

I would skip leaving mid day, you'll have very little time anyway, if you consider an hour to travel each direction. Just arrive closer to 10:30, go right to LK.
Try to move your EE up a little. If you can't, enter 5 min early and hope you get right on. It usually goes fast. Hoof it to Nemo. Then do an Up show after Nemo. Explore a trail or two until dinner.

Is your 4:00 ADR at AK? If so, I would scrap leaving and spread out your plans. AK is a great park for slowing down in!! If they've opened Conservation Station back up, you can take the train out there where it's quieter for a break. There are also shaded benches along the animal walking trails.

PS - We enjoyed the bird show, too!

That's really pushing it. Can you do the 1:00 Lion King show?
Otherwise you are RUNNING from UP to LK and back again. And you will be lucky to get in to LK and most definitely have poor seats!
Where is your 4:00 reservation?
Leaving the park at 1:00 and then have to be back by 3:30-3:45 is just simply riding around in the bus for 2 hours.... unless you are driving.
As stated in previous post.... spread out your day and stay at AK. there's so much more to enjoy!

Where is your 4:00 reservation?
Leaving the park at 1:00 and then have to be back by 3:30-3:45 is just simply riding around in the bus for 2 hours.... unless you are driving.

Reservation is at Yak and Yeti.
Last time we went to Disney, 8-9 years ago, we couldn’t do rope drop to end of day show. I would really like to see the evening light shows this time and my husband said only if we take a midday break. I have been wondering if our breaks would be bus rides. When people suggest midday breaks what are they suggesting? Longer than 3 hours? We only have 4 days for 4 parks.

The Nemo show is our miday break :rotfl2: Every time we've gone to see it we've fallen asleep. It's cold and dark, perfect recipe for "resting" ones eyes.

We usually take mid day breaks, we arrive at opening, and leave sometime between 1:30 and 2:30, and try to get to the evening park around 5:30 or 6 when lots of people head out for dinner. Allowing for 30 minutes for transportation that gives us 2 solid hours of relaxing in the room, or going for a swim, etc. We tend to take the evening portion of the day pretty easy. Shows, maybe a lucky fast pass, and fireworks.

Of course we adjust our schedule as needed depending on weather, park hours, and how we're feeling, but that's a general idea of how we do it.

Last time we went to Disney, 8-9 years ago, we couldn’t do rope drop to end of day show. I would really like to see the evening light shows this time and my husband said only if we take a midday break. I have been wondering if our breaks would be bus rides. When people suggest midday breaks what are they suggesting? Longer than 3 hours? We only have 4 days for 4 parks.
We take lots of mid-day breaks, however we don't plan an ADR that early. Our breaks are usually 3-4 hours including travel time, leave park at 1 return between 4 or 5. With your ADR you need to be back by 3:40 in order to get into the park and back to Yak and Yeti.
It just seems alot of rushing to get things done and out and back just to have maybe 45 minute break.

I would use a show as a break or grab a drink/snack at Nomad Lounge. By the time you leave AK, wait for a bus, get on the bus, deboard you might only have about 30-40 minutes before you have to reverse the process.

The Nemo show is our miday break :rotfl2: Every time we've gone to see it we've fallen asleep. It's cold and dark, perfect recipe for "resting" ones eyes.

We usually take mid day breaks, we arrive at opening, and leave sometime between 1:30 and 2:30, and try to get to the evening park around 5:30 or 6 when lots of people head out for dinner. Allowing for 30 minutes for transportation that gives us 2 solid hours of relaxing in the room, or going for a swim, etc. We tend to take the evening portion of the day pretty easy. Shows, maybe a lucky fast pass, and fireworks.

Of course we adjust our schedule as needed depending on weather, park hours, and how we're feeling, but that's a general idea of how we do it.
That would be the only reason to do the Nemo Show to me, it's hot and I need some cool air. Saw it once and hated it.

My suggestion, eat at Yak and Yeti earlier. Take your break later, returning just in time for your FoP FP.
Yes, breaks need to be longer than 1 hour.
Because you need aprox 1 hour to get back to the resort and another hour to get back to the park. So there's 2 hours, right there. What good is it to do all that for just 1 hour in the room? Seems really silly to me. With 4 days, sadly, breaks at your resort are going to be darn near impossible. Find places in the parks to wind down and take a load off. Shows, benches, meals. Otherwise, you are losing a lot of park time to travel.

I tried to cram festival of the lion king in on one of my recent trips. I got there at least 5 minutes before show time, but was not able to get in the theater because it was already full. There were others that had gotten there before me that were also turned away. What resort are you staying at and are you open to taking Uber which could cut down on your transportation times a bit? The way your break is planned now would be too tight. Till you walk from the bus stop to the park entrance then from the park entrance to the restaurant you will need 20-30 extra minutes built into your travel time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter