Is this new "Security Check" coming to On-Site Disneyland Hotels?

minnieralyks

Mysteries & Magic, Visions Fantastic
Just got back from a wonderful birthday celebration at Disneyland. While we were Uber-ing back to the airport, I was reading on the Disney Resorts side of the site about the new policy regarding housekeeping/security checks for Disney resorts. From the limited info I was able to read (out of a 48 page thread!), it appears that guests can no longer place a "Do not disturb" sign on the door. If housekeeping is declined, a hotel CM will need to enter the room in order to check things out (iffy on the reasoning, but many have assumed for security purposes).

Now, I've never been to WDW so wasn't too sure which hotels they were referring to. I also haven't been able to read all of the 48 page thread. However, it appears these checks are up and running. There's a split on whether they're bothersome/intrusive. If you normally have housekeeping, it would be no biggie for you.

I'm personally not a fan of this. We usually throw up the DND sign for our stay, because we prefer not to have people in the room when we're out. Mainly so we don't have to worry about putting away items we don't want out (ie. laptops, cameras, Rx, etc.).

So, what say you? Do you think this added security could be on it's way to the Disneyland Resort?

Original thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/do-not-disturb-gone-blt.3653909/

This came after the Las Vegas shooting, where a guest in a hotel broke out his window and massacred people at a concert far below. He had left his 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door for days. Hotels in LV quickly changed their policies to allow staff members to check out a room in a situation like that.

As to whether or not it's coming to Disneyland, I've not heard, but I would not be surprised. Disney takes security very seriously.

It will be coming to all hotels sooner than later I am willing to bet.

Just basically says that a hotel employee has to lay eyes on the room at least every 48 hours.

While I know thing happen I practically live outta hotel rooms all over the country for years and have never once had an issue. I will take fresh towels and a made up bed any day!

So just to take a step back here - they will knock first - if you are in the room and you say "um I'm naked" they won't come in the door right and if you are in the room you can use the deadbolt or other inside locks to prevent this from happening. If they hear nothing they will unlock the door and try to enter where they will either gain entry or be met by said additional lock that can only be unlocked from the inside. That being the case they'd likely assume someone is asleep, in the shower etc.

If you are not in the room then they can easily enter and check out that no one is setting up automatic weapons.

The only time we have ever left our room where we'd put out the sign would be when we are staying at pet friendly hotel where you would have your dog left in the room - and you are going down to eat etc. But since you can't do that at a Disney hotel, that I know of, then I don't see the issue. We always secure all of our valuables in the hotel provided safe before leaving the room for any period of time.

I see no issue - what if you are in a hotel and you die - would be good if someone checks every once in a while right?

That whole Vegas issue though raised a lot of questions on how little attention a hotel can pay to the activities of their guests so this is likely the whole 'take off your shoes at the airport' reaction. This time I agree with it!!

So if you put up a DND sign, will they open the door regardless, or come back later in the day and try again? Or are DND signs just not provided anymore? At hotels I often put up DND on mornings when we've slept in, so that housekeeping doesn't come in while we're getting ready and are not fully dressed. Yes, they knock first, but if the shower is running you might not hear it (someone did walk in on me once and that's when I got into the habit). I suppose I should just be using the extra lock that most rooms have.

I live in Las Vegas and even before the shooting many hotels here had policies to check on rooms that had DND up for multiple days in a row, but I believe they still initially honor the sign, but keep track and try back later, and eventually enter the room after a certain amount of time has passed. In addition to security, this makes sure that if someone is travelling alone and falls seriously ill they will be found before long.

The hotels at the DLR no longer have "Do not disturb" signs. (Same at WDW, we have just spent the past 2.5 weeks between the 2 resorts.) The signs now say "Room Occupied". Housekeeping will knock on the door, and ask about entering if you are in the room. Housekeeping is to check on the room every 48 hours. I am used to having housekeeping make the beds and towels and dump the trash, so I reall don't understand people who don't want housekeeping!

All DVC villas now receive daily trash service, previously only on the 4th day.
Service started December 22 at VGC (also BLT, VGF and several others), and service to all DVC properties started January 7.

If there is a concern for large items not able to fit in room safe, you can take down to the main check in desk and place in the safe.
For one trip I hauled along multiple photography camera and lenses that wouldn't fit in the room safe.
No problem having it placed in the main hotel safe.

I like added security measures this day and age.

Geemo

On our most recent stay on site, DH forgot all about the DND sign on the door. He stayed behind to try to meet a project deadline while I took the kids into the parks for the day. Late in the day, housekeeping kindly called the room before even knocking or trying to enter. (So no worries about someone just barging in on you.) They said that they only wanted to know if he wanted the room cleaned that day. (Yes, he most certainly did -- it was a mess!) Had the housekeeper entered on her own, she would have been greeted by the sight of a rather frenzied looking gentleman in sweats surrounded by wads of paper all over the desk, yelling at his laptop. Not the prettiest sight in the world, but she'd probably seen much worse in her time...

Agree that the extra security measure is appreciated. Sad that we need it at all, but I wouldn't want to be next door to some crazy person stockpiling an arsenal in his hotel room.

So what? Housekeeping or any hotel staff can always enter your hotel room if they are so inclined sign or not so your room should always be prepped for this. I put any valuables left behind in a suitcase with a lock on it whether or not I put a sign out. I'm happy hotels are trying to be more proactive about security and that they are re-evaluating their situations in the wake of Vegas. For goodness sake DtD WDW was the secondary target for the Orlando shooter so like it or not Disney properties are a prime terrorism-of-whatever-variety targets so I'm happy Disney is trying to prevent it to the extent that they can.

So if you put up a DND sign, will they open the door regardless, or come back later in the day and try again? Or are DND signs just not provided anymore?...
They've been replaced by the "occupied" signs so they come back later but management or housekeeping will have to enter even if you have a sign out if they haven't been in the room for X number of hours.

From the discussion so far regarding this policy at WDW, it appears they want to enter each room at least daily. There have been a number of hiccups in implementation of the new policy, with conflicting information provided (typical Disney) as well as actions of staff checking rooms not always matching policy. Hopefully Disney will get the kinks worked out quickly.

Just got back from a stay at VGF and my room was entered every day and the trash was emptied.
Different lights were on, etc. I was never in the room.....I was always back for awhile by 3 and it was always done before that.
The only knock I got was housekeeping asking if I needed more coffee.....I think that was on the normal trash and towel day

I just don't need / want a stranger in "my" room with my personal belongings.
Maybe a rental house? And I'm not being glib, I promise! Obviously Disney and Hilton are out and if other hotels follow suit (they are expected to) rental houses might be the easiest way for you to still enjoy your vacation with peace of mind strangers aren't entering your room everyday.

I just don't need / want a stranger in "my" room with my personal belongings.
Unless you move daily or do a home rental, it is going to be happening. Most hotels are going to this set up now for self protection.

That said, I do enjoy housekeeping and most are so nice. Last week, they knew my daughter had the cough thing going around and left extra tea k-cups and brought honey for the room!

rental houses might be the easiest way for you to still enjoy your vacation with peace of mind strangers aren't entering your room everyday.
Unless you move daily or do a home rental, it is going to be happening. Most hotels are going to this set up now for self protection.!
I am rarely in a room more than a couple days, expect for our Disney trips. And while I don't like the idea of a stranger in my room, I am not going to waste precious time changing rooms. So I guess I will have to get over it ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!