is this doable and worth adding dining plan?

travellingphilly

Earning My Ears
Travelling to disney in the spring with my family for the first time. We are staying on site in 2 rooms under different confirmation numbers; room only with 2 adults in each room and the kids split. Since this is our first trip and the kids want to meet a lot of the characters (and not sure if we will get back there while kids are still into characters), I am planning at least 2 character meals (have more reserved but things could change). I also reserved PPO at BOG. I wasn't planning on doing the dining plan; however, I started thinking about adding it to just one room.

If I add Deluxe Dining Plan to one room (2 adults, 1 child) would this be a good option for all of us to use by sharing the credits between 4 adults and 3 children? Is this even a viable option? I understand all TS meals would have to be eaten together and that was the plan anyway.

Travelling to disney in the spring with my family for the first time. We are staying on site in 2 rooms under different confirmation numbers; room only with 2 adults in each room and the kids split. Since this is our first trip and the kids want to meet a lot of the characters (and not sure if we will get back there while kids are still into characters), I am planning at least 2 character meals (have more reserved but things could change). I also reserved PPO at BOG. I wasn't planning on doing the dining plan; however, I started thinking about adding it to just one room.

If I add Deluxe Dining Plan to one room (2 adults, 1 child) would this be a good option for all of us to use by sharing the credits between 4 adults and 3 children? Is this even a viable option? I understand all TS meals would have to be eaten together and that was the plan anyway.

That would be an excellent idea and probably cheaper than OOP, depending on how many meals you end up doing. Remember you get 3 TS credits per person, per NIGHT of stay, so if you do what you're thinking, you'll have 9 credits per night to share among the 7 of you.

thanks for your reply!
As an alternate, I was thinking about the Dining Plan with 1 QS and 1 TS credit/day for the room with 4 instead. Any thoughts?

it is difficult to figure all of this out when you have multiple adults and kids (some of whom are picky eaters).
is it a good rule of thumb that unless you are doing several character dinners that a dining plan is the way to go? i am trying to find menus to calculate costs...

Last edited:

thanks for your reply!
As an alternate, I was thinking about the Dining Plan with 1 QS and 1 TS credit/day for the room with 4 instead. Any thoughts?

it is difficult to figure all of this out when you have multiple adults and kids (some of whom are picky eaters).
is it a good rule of thumb that unless you are doing several character dinners that a dining plan is the way to go? i am trying to find menus to calculate costs...

If you do the regular plan, the kid's TS (table service) credits can ONLY be used for kid's meals, so it will take a little more planning to be sure you have the correct number of credits so all can eat. The QS credits are not separated, so you can get adult or kid's meals with those. With the DxDDP, you can use kid's credits for adult or kid's meals.

To do the math, there is a sticky at the top of the restaurant forum with ALL buffet/character meal prices listed. Use the latest, non-specialty date, even if it is 2017. To calculate any a la carte places, use Disney's site, or allearsnet.com, or wdwinfo.com to check their menus and see what you might order, do the math and be sure to add 6.5% tax for those calculations. The buffet sticky includes the tax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!