Is there such a thing as a non-dorky hat to wear poolside and to beach?

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
My sister died from metastasized skin cancer so I have a healthy respect for the sun. I know I should wear a hat for protection, but have never seen one I would actually wear in public and be able to pack in my suitcase.

Any suggestions? :confused3

I'm so sorry about your sister. :( I've had several risky moles removed and get skin checks regularly due to growing up in South Florida in the 80's - outside a lot and with no sunscreen!

I've decided that I look dorky in all hats. Some may argue I'm just dorky even without a hat :D. Anyways, I bought an Omnishade fabric hat from our local Columbia store and I like it because it has a nice wide and stiff brim, is machine washable, and is very forgiving with how it's treated. I throw it into my suitcase or beach bag and don't have to worry about messing it up. Sadly, I'm not finding it on their web site. I also bought a PFG baseball style cap for when I need something a little more streamlined.

ETA: I found it on Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Wom...1415568&sr=8-10&keywords=women's+columbia+hat

Last edited:

I wear a non-swim hat to the pool and beach quite happily.

Its straw, with a big wide brim and a ribbon around.

Its really more of an around-town hat, but I've been wearing it for years.

The key is to pack soft stuff inside it and around it to keep it from getting too squished. It always seems to hold up okay, though.

Its been to Hawaii twice, two cruises, more day trips at the beach than I can count, plus all sorts of outings around here.

I bought a cheap purple "boonie hat" from Amazon. It was dorky. It was also quick to dry and not particularly damaged by water. I was not burned for the first time in my life. I wore it everywhere. I wore it with a mask and snorkel lol.

Please just protect yourself and don't worry about how the hat makes you look.

On a related note, I was kind of shocked at how few people, especially women, really used sun protection.
Sunscreen helps, but a tan is just another word for sun damage.

Most days in the pool area I was the only woman wearing a rash guard.
Mine are all long sleeved as well!

Our whole family wears rashguards, but I can't convince the boys to wear swim hats anymore.

I agree with the others that a boonie hat is the way to go. I had them in the Marines and yes we all looked goofy wearing them.

I wear this one from Pelagic on the beach or if I'm in and around water. They're a fishing apparel company and make some great products. The hat is UPF 50 and the the water absorbs quickly due to their moisture wicking fabric. This particular hat is engineered to get wet. I wear it to the beach, kayaking, and even while I swim if I'm trying to really keep the sun off. I've worn it at water parks as well as I tend to be extremely lazy in the lazy river and go around and around and around for a few hours. It also comes with a drawstring.

As an avid scuba diver who spends a lot of time on boats I always travel with my Patagonia surf brim hat which is similar to a boonie hat. This hat provides 50+ UPF sun protection and is 100% nylon. I especially like the neoprene chin strap which is perfect on those dive boats. Is it dorky, well maybe but I don't really care.

Please just protect yourself and don't worry about how the hat makes you look.

Our whole family wears rashguards, but I can't convince the boys to wear swim hats anymore.
I never wore a rash guard but after about 40 mins of snorkeling in the cove at Aulani I realized it was time. My back was pretty red already and it was only day 1. I went across the street to the shops and picked one up. They are such a great investment.

My sister died from metastasized skin cancer so I have a healthy respect for the sun. I know I should wear a hat for protection, but have never seen one I would actually wear in public and be able to pack in my suitcase.

Any suggestions? :confused3
So sorry about your sister. I have found myself choosing vanity over safety... good ol baby oil in the sun days... my advice, find something you can live with and think about it this way, most of the time we are thinking more about our own looks than others are.

I wear my hat when I travel. I also don't want a dorky hat so I bought something cute and wear it on travel days.

ETA - I also wear it on tours/excursions.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply. I've clicked on the links and now have to narrow down my decision. Looks like they are packable, which was the second part of my concern.

PS I suppose I could have been more politically correct and left the dorky part out of my title, but life's too short . . .

:daisy:

Problem is, what I find as non-dorky and what you find as non-dorky might differ greatly.

What about something like this from Columbia: https://www.columbia.com/womens-glo...-hats&dwvar_CL9966_variationColor=100#start=8

I burn badly in the sun. It's because of a medication I take and I have to have sunscreen and a hat all the time in the summer. I don't swim anymore because I don't like putting on a swim suit. Maybe some day I'll be interested in some swim capris and a swim shirt, but for now I'm staying out of the water. I absolutely love this hat. It even has L/XL size. I need that because I have a large head. LOL :tilt: I'm definitely considering it for a cruise. I'm a hat person, but didn't want to pack any of my 2 straw hats because they will be ruined after being in the suitcase so long. The one I would take is my favorite hat so it's a no go on that. I may just buy this one. Glad it has moisture wicking and a chin strap. Thanks so much. :flower3:

To the OP, I'm so sorry about your sister. I lost 2 sisters one to cancer and one to a sudden death. It's a good idea your staying away from the sun. I do it all the time. This hat is really cute and come in different colors. :flower1:

I agree. I always wear a rash guard and hat. I have several that I pack. But I always feel like the only woman maybe some day I'll see you on a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts