Is there enough time in the Backstage Magic ABD to completely cover the Disneyland resort for first time visitors?

Anamarie2002

Earning My Ears
My mother and I have booked a Backstage Magic ABD trip for next year in June. This is the first time either of us will be visiting the Disneyland resort. We have been to WDW twice and are both huge Disney fans and love learning the history of the Disney parks. During the ABD trip, there are several on your own times to explore the resort. I'm hoping to have enough time to experience the magic in the Disneyland resort. We have already decided to stay an extra day after the adventure ends, but I'm still concerned about missing out on amazing experiences and attractions Disneyland offers. For people who have been on the Backstage Magic before or visited Disneyland before, Would there be enough time to cover both parks within basically 2 and a half days? If so, would be the best procedure to accomplish this?
Thank you in advance!!

They do a great job at hitting some of the highlights and taking you backstage at the park. You also get some flexible FastPasses (MaxPass) to use in your free time. With all of the great activities, though, there may not be time to see everything. I think an extra day in the parks would help to cover the things you may not have time for during the tour. And you should have a ticket that lets you go to the parks another day in your package, so it would only really cost an extra night in a hotel.

We just took this trip in July and LOVED it!

The included Disneyland time is an evening with dinner and two full days. As PP mentioned, the ticket that is included in your ABD package is a 4 day park hopper, so you are good to go back into the parks after your farewell breakfast on the final day. During the included days in the park, the guides are generous with the FPs and will help make sure you get to experience as much as possible in that amount of time. You do a fair amount as a group but then have plenty of time on your own (several hours each day) to focus on your priorities or favorites. With the additional day at the end, you should have no problem getting in everything you want. With the added day, you have three full days plus an evening.

Although we had been to Disneyland before, we found the amount of time was perfect. Just be aware that the two full days in Disneyland are very full days. Be prepared to be out an on your feet for a long time. But it's so, so worth it!

I think the biggest issue is the time of year. Obviously if you're going during a more peak season then lines will be longer and you will experience less. If it's off season then you'll be able to fit more in, though some things aren't offered as often (Fantasmic! for example does not show every night during the off season).

I just did this trip in July and it was truly amazing. You do backstage experiences and will ride some attractions as a group which helps cover some great parts of DLR. The guides are great and we loved the experience overall. We spent most of our free time touring the parks and closed out the parks each night after fireworks and World of Color.

While I loved this trip and can see why many people do it over and over again, I would not want this experience to be my first introduction to Disneyland. The trip is incredibly fast-paced and I would've felt much too overwhelmed if I had the expectation to see everything in both parks in such a limited amount of time. I think that one of the great things about Disneyland is all the little details that you need much more time to explore. There were parts of the park we didn't even get to on this trip, let alone getting time to visit the resorts and explore Downtown Disney.

Though this is all my two cents. I'm positive if you decide to go ahead and book the trip, you'll have an amazing time.

You will love this ABD. I took my son a few years ago and we will be going on this ABD in October again.

As far as your question about enough time - all I can say is there is never enough time :-) I would suggest a few things you may do to prep/learn/manage expectations. First, I would read all of the trip reports for the last few years for this ABD. Second, I would plan to stay at least one post night - ABD provides you with a park hopper pass that day and its great to do (or re do) rides. During the ABD you will be taken on about 15 rides - and you will be given 10 fast passes for "on your own time" (one the first and last day and 4 for the second and third days). We were also given a special fast pass for a designated time for Guardians of the Galaxy. Third, I would get a map of each park and see which are fast passes and which are not and prioritize which you want to target. Disneyland and California Adventure do not have many fast pass attractions compared to WDW. During our ABD, ABD took us on all of the fast pass attractions. Fourth, I am not sure what ABD will do with Star Wars and Marvel Land in 2020. They be be on your own time or handled like Guardians. Fifth - food. The food is outstanding - so may want to plan for that too. We also made sure we went to Trader Sams at the Disneyland Hotel (a short walk from Grand California Hotel). We watched all of the youtube videos from Dis Unplugged to get an idea of the must have food items. Sixth, every trip is slightly different - just to manage expectations.

Hope this helps - have a great time on the ABD and let us know if you have any questions.

We have done the Back Stage Magic ABD five times (and loved it each time) and I would say yes to this question. The tour itself will get you access to several of the highly sought after attractions without a wait. Then during the on your own time, your trip will include fast passes to get you on pretty much everything else. There is a good amount of OYO time to cover the things you want to see. Keep in mind that the last day of your trip has only breakfast as a group activity, leaving the rest of the day for whatever you want to do.

My biggest complaint is that you can't use the value of your ABD park ticket towards a longer (ie, a 5-day or AP) ticket.

My mother and I have booked a Backstage Magic ABD trip for next year in June. This is the first time either of us will be visiting the Disneyland resort. We have been to WDW twice and are both huge Disney fans and love learning the history of the Disney parks. During the ABD trip, there are several on your own times to explore the resort. I'm hoping to have enough time to experience the magic in the Disneyland resort. We have already decided to stay an extra day after the adventure ends, but I'm still concerned about missing out on amazing experiences and attractions Disneyland offers. For people who have been on the Backstage Magic before or visited Disneyland before, Would there be enough time to cover both parks within basically 2 and a half days? If so, would be the best procedure to accomplish this?
Thank you in advance!!

I was on this trip in December. I was a first-timer for Disneyland, and a serious WDW veteran. We had Tuesday night and all day Wednesday and Thursday in the parks with the tour, and on Friday we stayed on our own. I think I used all of my Fastpasses on Wednesday, and my friend and I both had a few left over Thursday. I can tell you that I felt we had more than enough time to really experience Disneyland on this trip. We even begged out early from the parks on Friday because we felt we had experienced everything we wanted to. Let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy your trip! It really was an amazing experience from start to finish.

We are on this ABD in June and have budgeted three extra days after the ABD ends to do DL to its full extent.

........ During the ABD you will be taken on about 15 rides - and you will be given 10 fast passes for "on your own time" (one the first and last day and 4 for the second and third days). We were also given a special fast pass for a designated time for Guardians of the Galaxy. Third, I would get a map of each park and see which are fast passes and which are not and prioritize which you want to target. Disneyland and California Adventure do not have many fast pass attractions compared to WDW........

I have the same question, and found this very helpful. Thank You!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm still debating on what to do ,but the insight from others has been extremely helpful for a first visit to Disneyland. Your responses have gotten me even more excited for my family's upcoming ABD trip. Hope you have a magical rest of the day!

We added a night to our Backstage Magic and took a red eye flight back to NJ. I'd love to return, but we did see most of everything we wanted with adding the night.

I did sign up for the six day trip and get a post night at the Candy Cane Inn. Very excited,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!