Is there currently anything like BulkBarn in Kissimmee?

WalkingintheFog

DIS Veteran
I had just assumed I could pop into an American bulk barn to pick up small quantities of various dry food items … but now it’s looking like maybe they *don’t* have that option in their stores?

Last edited:
What is Bulk Barn? I’ve never heard of it.
it is an entire store of big bins of every single baking ingredient, more candy than you knew existed, spices, tea, cake decorating items. Probably over a thousand different items that you can take whatever amount of instead of needing to buy a full bag! It's the literal definition of a kid in a candy store!!
seriously, you should Google it, my friend from Philadelphia about lost her mind when I took her into one!

I have never seen anything like that. The closest I can think of is Whole Foods has a few bulk items as do some health stores. It’s possible larger regional grocery stores may have some. The ones I have seen usually have nuts, grains, maybe oats but nothing like what you are describing.

I was talking with a little kid once (she was about seven-years-old - a friend's niece) and I said that I'd be coming to her city in a few weeks and asked if there anything special I should see. She waxed poetic about this amazing store with all the candy you could ever want and how it was the best place ever and I must go see it. When I asked for the names, she said "It's...Bulk Barn" in a most impressive voice. It greatly amused me.

I looked for something similar when I was living in the US (DC area) but never found anything.

I’m flying down to camp at The Fort in a tent for 2weeks.

I was planning on bringing a small range of teabags, spices, pancake mix for a couple meals, small quantity of ketchup mustard, vinegar, pnut butter, (or maybe some powdered PB2)… trying not to have wastage…..

But my connection in Toronto is just 2h 20 …. That’s completely (usually) doable for bag retrieval/us customs/bag deposit yada yada, but I’m concerned it’s a bit tight if they decide to carefully inspect what food I say I’m bringing (they might not, but …)

so, I figured if stores or supermarkets had such a section, I’d just buy what I needed there!

I have had issues with bringing certain foods from Canada to the USA.
They (customs) will be looking for labels on containers ,,what it is and where it was made.
Absolutely wouldn't try any fresh Veggies or Fruit.

I have been successful in the past bringing Tea Bags sealed in box ,, packaged Oatmeal sealed in box ,
Crackers sealed in box , sealed bag of bagels and some fruit cups/applesauce.

I now just hop in an Uber and head to the closest grocery (Target/Walmart) store and pick up a few things.

Have a great adventure camping at the Fort for 2 weeks ,,,, sounds great! 🏕️

Hugs Mel

I have never seen anything like that. The closest I can think of is Whole Foods has a few bulk items as do some health stores. It’s possible larger regional grocery stores may have some. The ones I have seen usually have nuts, grains, maybe oats but nothing like what you are describing.

Pretty much it is an old time general store/trading post type deal done up in yellow and red. Truth be told Bulk Barn is not actually any cheaper than buying packages at the grocery store but they have a lot more variety and if you only need a pinch of something it works out well.

I am actually surprised the concept isn't being tried more elsewhere in the US etc because it is essentially a zero waste store with a few modifications.

Pretty much it is an old time general store/trading post type deal done up in yellow and red. Truth be told Bulk Barn is not actually any cheaper than buying packages at the grocery store but they have a lot more variety and if you only need a pinch of something it works out well.

I am actually surprised the concept isn't being tried more elsewhere in the US etc because it is essentially a zero waste store with a few modifications.
Exactly that!

I don’t use it for buying actual ’bulk’, but for smaller portions!
For when you just need a little, or want to try a new ingredient without buying a huge amt that might never get used!
….. like egg powder, diff types of powdered milk, & lecithin and so forth … gluten free pancake mixes for that friend who only comes once a year ….

I’ll scope out Whole Foods website …. Before we had a Bulk Barn, it was the healthy food type stores that served this need (we had one here called Mary Jane’s… sigh, I do miss that store!)

if anyone thinks of any other places, that would be great!
—one day we plan to drive north of Orlando to the Harry Leu Gardens (+ side step to Gideons) & the the Charles Hosmer MORSE Museum (+ side step to REI)

“Zero waste” bring-your-own-container type stores are a trend on the upswing, but apparently not in FL.

There was a place called Bulk Nation which was basically a Bulk Barn knockoff, but it looks like their closest CFL stores in Clermont and Lakeland are both permanently closed…

We went to Whole Foods this past summer, closest thing to Bulk Barn. We found everything we needed. Pricey but worth it. We had a rental van so it was easy to go. Since we were up there we popped over to Gideons. Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter